Sign in to follow this  
brittie

29G Tank Lighting Question

My topfin 29 gallon aquarium came with a hood that only allows for one light bulb. I replaced the orig 17w that came in the hood with a 20w t-8 flora glo bulb. It was the one that mentioned helping plant growth, but now upon closer inspection of the box as I read it the other day it says it works best when paired with another bulb from the company. well my hood doesn't take 2 bulbs, nor do I have the money to go out looking for something better! Is this lighting not suiable enough? Across the room I have patio doors that let in a LOT of light, the room is very bright. Does something like that help?

In the future, if I went with a higher rated bulb could I get away with only having one?

I don't know what the K rating means. :blush:

Do you have plants... if so its the watts that make them grow... So you would want 3-4 watts per gallon. If you dont have live plants in the tank it wont matter much at all... :)

I have hornwort, red ludwigia, amazon sword, water wisteria and cabomba. I know some are for a higher light, so if they die I expect it. I won't be surprised. I fertilize with API and leave green algae on the back wall. (as my fish like to eat the algae as well). I thought the sunlight coming thorugh the window would help. I'm such a newbie. haha.

Most of those plants need 2-3 watts per gallon hun. The "red ludwigia" needs 4 watts per gal. So if your wanting to keep them going I would suggest getting something that is 87watts total :)

How does one get 87 total watts? All the bulbs I have looked at provide 20w, so 2 only makes 40.... :o

How does one get 87 total watts? All the bulbs I have looked at provide 20w, so 2 only makes 40.... :o

A couple of these would do it, but the price!! :madrant

2x24wt510000k

2 of these are a little more reasonable: :)

aqualightdoublestriplight30

2x24wt510000k

the first one, ouch....

the second one I could see myself splurging on. I will have to see how much money payday brings. haha.

or save up and hope the red can survive.

I would suggest letting the red float at the top, get it closer to the light until you can get another fixture. I have tried this with a few plants and they are actually growing roots while floating.

2x24wt510000k

the first one, ouch....

the second one I could see myself splurging on. I will have to see how much money payday brings. haha.

or save up and hope the red can survive.

Here's an even better(more economical) alternative:

96W-4x-6700K

Anyone else know of a better buy?

These fixtures are all assuming your tank is 30 inches. :)

Ok ill take a look see and see if there is some inexpensive lights for that tank :)

i checked ebay and my local craigslist, but didn't find anything.

i did buy a cheap java fern of aquatic magic (?) on ebay. hopefully it arrives in decent condition. If not, it only cost like $5. P..etsmart wanted $8.99 for a dying java fern!!!

Edited by brittie

i checked ebay and my local craigslist, but didn't find anything.

i did buy a cheap java fern of aquatic magic (?) on ebay. hopefully it arrives in decent condition. If not, it only cost like $5. P..etsmart wanted $8.99 for a dying java fern!!!

I have purchased a few plants from them, all came in great condition.