New Homes!

Looks like Lt Shiny Sides and Klaus get to experience their first ever pond life this weekend!

I can't believe I'm going through with this as they are my very first babies and really aren't very big in comparison to a lot of people's goldies, but I think they should have a pond environment. My uncle said he would take them in "space for two little ones" and he has taken a small one before from my grandpa. His pond is very very successful (so many fish!)

As the weather is finally warming up and spring is finally here, it's time for them to move on. Plus I will still get to see them loads.

I'm going to my boyfriend's this weekend so I'll pop them into a plastic bag and take them on the train with me.

Just wondering, what would be the best way to transfer them, keep them comfortable and then introduce them to the pond without too many shocks?

Wish me, and them, luck!

• Admin

I would move them in a Bucket or in a cooler. When I moved from CA to OR I moved my babies in a Cooler with a lid so they wouldnt freak out. :)

Ponds are great for non fancy fish whoot :)

I carried Red up to Middlesbrough from Guildford in an enormous fish bag about 1/3 full of water and double bagged in a carrier. He spent about 12 hours in there and showed no side effects. I might just have been lucky there though. Do not underestimate the weight of water, particularly if you're using public transport or walking anywhere. It's been a week now and my shoulders and upper arms are still sore.

Well it's less than an hour on the train and my family live in the same town my boyfriend lives in. I don't think I can simply afford a cooler, so I was thinking a biiiig bag like Sarah did. Do you think I could put them in bags then put them in a cardboard box with lots of padding around it?

Yes that means Charlie will be moving in on Friday ee! xxx

They will definitely start growing like crazy, and I'm sure Lt Shiny Sides and Klaus will love their new "wild" home!

The biggest tip from me would be to make sure they acclimatize to the temperature of the pond, to minimalize that potential shock. This is especially so if they are small-ish. I imagine that while it is spring there, the water could still be very much colder than Lt Shiny Sides and Klaus are used to. I usually put any new fish we get in the spring into a very very large bag, or tupperware container, and let it float in the pond for at least an hour, two or more oxygen supply depending, enough for the temperatures to slowly become the same, before releasing them.

The other fish in the pond will probably come to visit them, poke at the bag. The welcoming committee!