Sign in to follow this  
EdgarTheFish

How Long Should I Keep The Light On?

My 30g tank holds between 28-29g of water and my fish seems to be most active when the light is on, but at the same time the lights so bright I dont want to leave it on for too long because I dont want her eyes to hurt.. assuming that if I was the fish my eyes would hurt after being in that bright light for a long time. How long do you keep your tank light on?

Also, there's only one fish in the tank, and the tank only gets subtle amounts of sunlight as it is across the livingroom from a window.

I keep mine on 12 to 14 hours a day. When I remember I might turn them off a couple hours in the afternoon but not often.

Mine are on about 14 hours a day, 0630-1030, I turn them on when I get up and off when I go to bed. I do feel a little bad leaving them on all day because I'm not home between 8am and 6pm but if gives the goldies a more natural light cycle than 0630-0800 and 1800-2200, hopefully the lights don't zap too much of my electrics...

I turn my tanks on in the am around 5- 6ish then off around 9-10 ish but they do get some diffused light from the window across the room, then lights on again around 4pm till lights out around 9pm or later if I'm up later,But I do not have any live plants or algea growth :) so they get about 8-9 hours of lights on a day...Works for me :)

I do not have any live plants or algea growth

Maybe I have my lights on too much...I have 12 pretty decent size java ferns and 2 moss balls and I still get algae, I only scrape it off the front though, I just let it grow on the back and sides, my nitrates are 0 or close to it and the algae can only be helping, it's green algae, I never get a whiff of the brown stuff. I don't mind the look, and with the green on my quartz it makes the tank look more 'aged' :)

i pretty much just turn them on once i wake up and turn them off when i go to sleep. seems to be working well, they are active, plants are growing well, everyone and everything is happy xD

So it's good for them to have the light on then? I barely have it on for more than two hours a day, should I be keeping it on for longer?

Yes, leave the lights on as you see others are doing.

Remember that the surface of the water is a huge reflector, so it's not like the fish get blasted in the eyeballs by some high intensity, focused beam.

Yeah I leave mine on from when I get up until when I go to bed. I'll never turn my light on if the room is dark though. On when the sun comes through the window.

^^I'm the same way^^

The lights come on in the morning when we get up, and by then the tank has been sitting in the normal light of the kitchen...so they've had a sunrise. Then around 5 or 6 I switch the lighting over to blue incandescants, like moonlight, and leave 'em like that until I got to bed. (The hoods I have are dual element; with one T-8 and a pair of blue tube bulbs.)

^^I'm the same way^^

The lights come on in the morning when we get up, and by then the tank has been sitting in the normal light of the kitchen...so they've had a sunrise. Then around 5 or 6 I switch the lighting over to blue incandescants, like moonlight, and leave 'em like that until I got to bed. (The hoods I have are dual element; with one T-8 and a pair of blue tube bulbs.)

What are blue incandescants? I understand that they create a moonlight appearance- are they just blue colored lights? Also, do the fish need to have a sunrise/sunset sort of setting to their schedule? I never leave the light on atfer I go to bed, but usually we turn it off a half hour before we turn off all the other lights surrounding the tank, is that ok? I've started leaving it on for longer periods of time btw and the fish's black is turning that tan color again, so either the light is helping to enhance the brighter colors of the tank or my nitrites are about to give me another headache lol.

I don't know if they need a sunrise or sunset. I just do it that way. Plus, it's fun to watch them in the moonlight. They eventually calm down and start napping and it's a crack up to watch that behavior. They start yawning, get all their fins flared up, and just start to snooze.

The blue incandescants are just tube style bulbs with a blue tint coating. Available at any fish store. They also come in green, red, clear, and a pink aquarium light type color.

Edited by austinado16

I don't know if they need a sunrise or sunset. I just do it that way. Plus, it's fun to watch them in the moonlight. They eventually calm down and start napping and it's a crack up to watch that behavior. They start yawning, get all their fins flared up, and just start to snooze.

The blue incandescants are just tube style bulbs with a blue tint coating. Available at any fish store. They also come in green, red, clear, and a pink aquarium light type color.

Cool, I need to get a timer for my tank lights too, I'll check it out.