Sign in to follow this  
Guest nexxmexx

Help ! Case Of Oranda Dropsy

Guest nexxmexx

Hi everyone. This is my very first post and would need some advice on how to treat dropsy. I've done a lot of research on the internet and realize that it is a very hard disease to cure, but nonetheless, I want to try my best to save the little guy.

It all started when I came back on monday (was away for the weekend). My oranda started to show a couple of scales sticking out right behind the gills, on his right side. Did some research and found out it could be dropsy. It eventually evolved and the scales are now sticking out on both sides (still behind the gills and not on the entire side of the fish). It's now been 4 days.

Finally managed to get ahold of some medication (the only medication I could find was Focus from Seachem, which on some websites, say works with dropsy). I also bought some epson salt, but right now, I'm reluctant to put it in the water as I'm not sure if it could be harmful for other healthy fish in the tank (I have 2 smaller orandas in my 20 gallons). I know I should quarantine the fish, but from past experience, moving the fish is an extra stress and was never good for them (they all ended up dying).

So, my question is : "Is Epson salt, 1/8 teaspoon per 5 gallons, harmful for other healthy orandas?" I want to lower his swelling, but I don't want to harm the healthy ones.

Guest nexxmexx

also. worth noting. He still eats, swims around, not lethargic. Does not seem to be gasping for air.

only his front scales are sticking out, some of them seem a bit more reddish then it should be.

Oh no :( I'm afraid I can't help, but hang in there. Someone will be able to, hopefully soon.

Oh, and if you can get some water parameter readings, I'm sure that would help a lot. We will need the exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH to narrow down the possibilities here. Actually, whatever you are able to fill out from that list at the top of the page would be so helpful. :heart Best of luck.

Guest nexxmexx

Here are the tests that were available at home

ammonia level : 0.mg/L (drops from Nutrafin)

nitrite level: < 0.1mg/L (drops from Nutrafin)

pH level: don't have the kit

tank size: 20Gallon, running for about a year

Filter Aquaclear up to 50Gallons

water change: 10-15% weekly

3 orandas: 6 in, 2.5in, 2.5in (no need fish for the past 2 months)

no additives/conditioner

Feeding Hikari Sinking pellets for goldfish, twice a day

started to feed my sick oranda with Hikari sinking pellet mixed with Seachem Focus (1 feeding up until now)

I just remembered that about 2 weeks ago, my goldfish had an infection on his cheek (turned whitish + red). I disinfected with hydrogen peroxide (avoiding gills and eyes). I think it got attacked by one of the smaller oranda because the smaller one has the bully attitude, which I confined in his floating box). It has healed completely but I feel like this dropsy could be a complication of the initial injury.

I would also like to know if I should also feed medicated food to my other orandas that are not sick as prophylactic measure. I know dropsy isn't contagious but I don't know if the bacterial infection is.

Thx for your help, I really need it.

no additives/conditioner

I am not expert but you really need to be adding a conditioner to the water to remove chlorine and chloramines from the new water you add??

Guest nexxmexx

I usually prepare a bucket of water 24hours prior to water change, so the temperature can equilibrate to room temperature (same temperature as my aquarium) and so that the chlorine/chloramine can evaporate over that time. I thought that was enough, shouldn't it ?

I'll let the pros explain how to treat your little friend (they can do a better job at helping you than I ever can :) ) but I'm dealing with a dropsied fish myself (he's been doing better lately, but I'm not breathing a sigh of relief just yet...) and know what a nightmare it can be :( . I must say that you're in good hands here and even when I thought that there was no way my little Spiridon would make it sure enough he's still here and it's thanks to the people here that I still have my Spiridon. :)

Best of luck with your fishies!

IIRC chloramine does not evaporate, so you should still use conditioner.

I do the same as you, I fill containers a day or two before a w/c but

I still add Prime to the new water.

Good luck!

Guest nexxmexx

Alright. Thx. I'll keep the chloramine in mind. Is there any way I can check whether my tap water uses chlorine or chloramine treatment ?

Also, my initial question still stands. Can I put Epsom salt in my aquarium even though other healthy fish are in the same tank ? Breaks my heart to see my goldfish as bloated as he is, and I want to help him out, while at the same time, don't want to harm the others.

Alright. Thx. I'll keep the chloramine in mind. Is there any way I can check whether my tap water uses chlorine or chloramine treatment ?

There is no test kit for cloramine that I know of so you'll have to

phone your public works department, waterworks division and ask. :goldfish:

If you have a quarentine tank you really want to QT your dropsied fish...you need to raise your temp and add epsom salt. Plus feed a medicated food which your other fish don't need. Even a bucket with an airstone can work as long as you do daily water changes. But the short answer is that epsom salt shouldn't hurt your other fish.

Guest nexxmexx

Alright. Thx a lot. I was hoping to get such an answer. I've already added the epsom salt to the water. Hope everything was done on time.

Since my fish first got dropsy in december one thing I should mention is that I think the key reason I still have my fish is because I was going hard with twice-a-day water changes (about a quarter of the tank each time for my 30 gal). I've read in the past that water quality is the biggest factor to keeping healthy fish and it's certainly helped me in these past few months. :)

Guest nexxmexx

Yeah. I'm trying to keep up with the water change, but because I don't have any conditioner, I can only allow myself 1 water change per day. From the replies, chances of recovering from dropsy isn't as slim as people claim.

You definately need to invest in water conditioner...any trace chlorine is deadly to fish and it doesn't disipate with just sitting out.

Guest nexxmexx

alright. I'll go buy a bottle of dechlorinator at nnnnnn ASAP

Guest nexxmexx

My goldfish has pretty much recovered. Scales does not seem to be sticking out anymore. Thanks for your help.

My goldfish has pretty much recovered. Scales does not seem to be sticking out anymore. Thanks for your help.

Excellent! Thanks for the update. :goodjob