Sign in to follow this  
bodoba

Diy Sponge Filter

Hey I need some help. I'm going to be making my own sponge filters for my 90gal set up. Because of the goldies I'll be putting in there, I'll need a GPH of 900.

Because of this I'm using a powerhead. So of course I have a few questions.

With sponge filters you can't have the current too strong or it won't filter properly. For this I'm hoping to use LONG tubes and maybe make 2 filters out of 500 GPH powerheads.

Now this is still a lot of power. The sponge I'm using is a 10 PPI due to the amount of waste produced so I can prevent clogging.

1) How big of a sponge do I need?

2) Is there any GPH loss from the powerhead when fitted with the sponge filter?

3) Aside from longer tubes, how else can I compensate so that the power from the powerhead doesn't prevent proper filtration?

Thanks for any help!

Una

There will always be a slight GPH loss when using a powerhead with a filter, but the extent of the loss depends on the relative size of the sponge and how clean the sponge is. A thick sponge will restrict the flow more than a thin sponge. Sometimes I go a bit too long between cleanings of my sponges, and I get a noticeable drop in water flow.

If I were designing a sponge filter, I would size it so that the powerhead sits near the surface of the water, and the sponge extends down to almost touch the bottom.

A given surface area can only house a finite number of beneficial bacteria, so there is some minimum surface area that is necessary to process the waste in your tank. I remember seeing the numbers once, but you'd have to know the surface area within the sponge as well as the waste output from a goldfish in order to figure out the official minimum size you'd need.

I try to avoid being overly technical, so I judge how much sponge filter is necessary by comparing the sponge to the amount of media that fits in a HOB filter.

Okay I actually got a bit of this figured out which is AWESOME! After coming up with a week of nothing I found a site design pond bio filter which explains partly what I needed. Came up with the specs I'll need and such and now I have one flaw. I've been scouring the internet and just CANNOT find it!

What is the water capacity of 10 PPI sponge media? It such a simple snag! I may just have to do my own experiments when I get my sponge but I just am flabbergasted that I cannot find a chart for such a simple thing.

Una