Sign in to follow this  
Trinket

Sooooo000Ooooo Annoying

Apologies in advance. This is a rant :madrant

I have broken my Eheim cannister. I have 3. I have finally broken that cranky lever that you have to yank to and forth. I am so mad. It cost me 28.000 yen which is about 300 $. I am sooooo annoyed and so depressed about this. Its come right before I am going on a short trip...I now have to buy a new filter...there is no way I can replace the part (the handle thingy) that has completely snapped off...I am so angry aaaargh!! Why do they make them so tricky and complex to manouver....I am about to lose all my precious media :cry..I could cry...I am sooooooooooooo frustrated .:cry1

Oh nooooo :(

Is there a way to save the media? Maybe put it in a bucket with a bubbler or something?

I didnt feed them today so the one filter still on is enough maybe. The media from the eheim is in a covered bucket with a bubbler. I dont want to have to feed it, I am going to get a new filter first thing in the morning.

I think I have spent more money and anger on filters than on tanks or fish or any other item..they always seem to break on me :(

I am so sorry. There is nothing so frustrating as equipment that malfunctions or breaks.

STupid thing. Before ditching the whole cannister, can you rebuild the handle? (Even duct tape and a prayer might work! Many people use it for all kinds of things!)

You need a Mr. (or Ms) Fix It. I wish I knew macguyver, he'd fix that up with a rubber band and a paper clip! ( :oops: Just aged myself again)

Una

You are NOT dating yourself.... McGyver is back on for the "Classics". :teehee

Anyway - McGyver was only reasonable in the first year or so. After that, the science suffered greatly and I will go so far as to say it was RIDICULOUS and WRONG. I want REAL science if it is advertised as such - and it was. (Advertised .... NOT REAL science!) There was a basis of fact in many things, but after the first few episodes, what he did would not have worked. AT ALL. Believe me, there were plenty of instances around the world where many things along the same lines were tried. Much better solutions were found.

You do not need a McGyver. You need and ENGINEER. They are the true "heros" of the world - and the fish cannisters.

I am sorry it broke. STupid thing.

The Mythbusters have done a couple of McGyver episodes and proved that a lot of what he did won't work. But...it was a great show :P

Oh Imo,that sucks :whatjust: A couple of weeks ago,the impeller and shaft broke on 1 of my Eheims ,and I did not know they were separate parts and only ordered them 1 at a time-AFTER I finally located 1 of them,that is! :crazy: It was beyond frustrating-let's just say I was 'very angry'! I hope you're able to salvage your media/cycle. I have 4 filters on that tank,and was able to (anxiously)let that 1 go,and start fresh once I got both(expensive) parts. :hug

Don't bin it, eheim do most of the parts for their filters.

I know you aren't in uk but here is a site that lists all the part numbers which might help you find it elsewhere

http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/eheim-manual-spares.htm if you click on the little images they enlarge

Hope this helps

I think they make the parts breakable so you have to buy new filters more often lol. Poor trinket:(

I know that every part on the Eheim is replaceable. I've had to replace the handle clips before, and it is a reasonably easy fix :)

Okay :heart thanks very much for the support everyone because as you can imagine nobody else would ever understand the frustration of filter maintenance and breakages as well as you guys do!!!!!!!! And it is so good to be able to vent here.

Update, I threw the whole lot of media (my precious ceramic balls and hoops) right into the 72 base and it is now all sitting there as rather unattractive brown grey substrate balls. At least it is getting its daily ammonia fix.

I have taken apart the filter and it is all being cleaned, it was probably about time. Just in case I can work out some way to reincarnate it. I am afraid the breakage of the lever is rather a nasty one...you know the kind that happens when you are extremely angry?:oops:???? Yes, a clear break of the side plastic notch thingy that the handle attaches to. So even if I get a replacement (and THANKYOU for the link HP) I cannot fix the broken side notch thing...I think. Also getting replacements here will take for ever.....even if it was all repairable...and Im just about to go away on a short trip.. I hate to not repair things that CAN be fixed but this really looks like I would need a really well qualified plastic surgeon :blink:

can you rebuild the handle? (Even duct tape and a prayer might work! Many people use it for all kinds of things!)

I had already repaired this handle. I have always had problems with the attachment part to the side. Yes Penguin the grey side clips look like ear muffs.....Slowly, over time it just popped back -the lid started to rise, water seeped and started to drain the tank...no excuses, it was all my impatience and frustrated actions that caused this. I just do better with "simple'. I dont even think Ill get another Eheim, Id better stick with the Japanese ones that are cheaper and I can get parts for quicker :cry1

As a temporary fix I went out and bought a simple HOB filter (the ones I got so fed up with years ago that I switched to cannisters ? :lol1) which is streaming and gushing away now on the side of the tank. The Kotobuki I have on the other side is an external cannsiter too, never given me any trouble and does turn over approx 10 x power...alone so should be okay until I work something better out.

They are fiddly those ecco filters, i cleaned julies at christmas. Unplugged it and opened it up. Forgot to close the in and out pipes though and proceeded to empty the tank on to the living room floor :(

I am so sorry, Imo! I hate equipement problems because my brain is in no way mechanical. In some ways though I think it is good for fish to have an HOB and a canister. It changes things up and still gives extra filtration. What a pain in the neck though!

Thx guys. Yes its quite nice having the HOB again and I like the look of it...however it was frustration with HOB impellers (getting damaged with biomedia) that led me to cannisters...going round in circles here :D