Can You Add Salt In A Planted Tank?

bodoba

I've searched and searched and can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I know sometimes goldfish keepers add salt to their aquariums to help protect slime coats and other such benefits. But can you maintain a 0.1% ratio of salt in your tank without it affecting your plants? My gut says no, but then there are saltwater tanks and I'm sure I've seen some in there before.

Thanks in advance,

Una

I've searched and searched and can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I know sometimes goldfish keepers add salt to their aquariums to help protect slime coats and other such benefits. But can you maintain a 0.1% ratio of salt in your tank without it affecting your plants? My gut says no, but then there are saltwater tanks and I'm sure I've seen some in there before.

Thanks in advance,

Una

i asked the same question at one point in one of my threads,... got a reply, and it was just concerning about which plants you have in . after i told em what i have, i didnt get anything. SO, i am gonna sub to this thread, to see what you get, because i see what you are concerned about here.

I would go with no on this. I added dewormer to my tank recently and my java ferns didn't like it, they sulked for days. Prior to that I was using salt to treat something and not long after I had a pH crash and lost my cycle. There was white sediment all over my tank which would be there in the morning but gone when the lights had been on all day - I firmly believe it was all caused by the java fern, there was nothing else in the tank that could possibly have done it other than a bacterial bloom, and it didn't look like that. It was the weirdest thing.

It would look like this in the morning and be gone in the evening

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt293/taperecorders/004-1.jpg

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt293/taperecorders/005.jpg

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt293/taperecorders/004-3.jpg

One of those leaves is before scrubbing, the other after.

I decided it must be linked to the photosynthesis. Even if my very strange theory is wrong, and it might be, I've never heard of it anywhere else, it's not something I'd risk again. I might have just had a very tempermental java fern... If you want to get plants and you need to salt I would put them in a separate tank until your treatment is finished.

I would go with no on this. I added dewormer to my tank recently and my java ferns didn't like it, they sulked for days. Prior to that I was using salt to treat something and not long after I had a pH crash and lost my cycle. There was white sediment all over my tank which would be there in the morning but gone when the lights had been on all day - I firmly believe it was all caused by the java fern, there was nothing else in the tank that could possibly have done it other than a bacterial bloom, and it didn't look like that. It was the weirdest thing.

It would look like this in the morning and be gone in the evening

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt293/taperecorders/004-1.jpg

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt293/taperecorders/005.jpg

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt293/taperecorders/004-3.jpg

One of those leaves is before scrubbing, the other after.

I decided it must be linked to the photosynthesis. Even if my very strange theory is wrong, and it might be, I've never heard of it anywhere else, it's not something I'd risk again. I might have just had a very tempermental java fern... If you want to get plants and you need to salt I would put them in a separate tank until your treatment is finished.

ahh that would be smart, to take out the plants.. lots of work for me though, as my pants are pretty well planted xD dont need salt though (knock on wood) so i am all good :D

I have done a salt treatment with plants in my tank and have had no issues. I don't have Java fern, maybe it's spceific to certian plants.

Anubias is safe with normal salt conditions that you use with goldies to get rid of certain nasties. 0.3% I think it is is

I have alot of anubis in my tank and they don't seem to mind the salt for treatments but not sure about other plants.

But I would like to point out you shouldn't really keep salt in your tank all the time and only use it to treat problems.

:goodpost

Definitely don't use salt at all times. It will do more harm than good.

I salt my pond and I have quite a few plants in there. I never go above .2% though...:unsure: But I have had no problems thus far.

If you add the salt slowly, you should be able to prevent shock to your plants. Maybe add half a dose every 6 hours, instead of a whole dose every 12 hours.

I salt my pond and I have quite a few plants in there. I never go above .2% though...:unsure: But I have had no problems thus far.

If you add the salt slowly, you should be able to prevent shock to your plants. Maybe add half a dose every 6 hours, instead of a whole dose every 12 hours.

can you explain to me these percentage thingS?

for instance, if i want to add salt to my 10 gal with my goldies, i got an anubia fern, and a hygro siamensis, which they do not eat :D .. so how would i add salt? also got some snails in there. tiny tiny ones though.

We've added salt to our aquarium and have noticed no impact on the hornwort. Goldfish buffet gobbling til the plant is barren, well that's another thing! We salt occasionally as a general tonic and to treat what appear to be budding probs ie. ich, anything not quite right. We use API Aquarium salt, 1/2 tsp per U.S. gallon, then do a 25%-50% water change about a week later.

Our tank snails (one per tank) don't seem to be effected by the salt.

Edited by goldfishloversanon

can you explain to me these percentage thingS?

for instance, if i want to add salt to my 10 gal with my goldies, i got an anubia fern, and a hygro siamensis, which they do not eat :D .. so how would i add salt? also got some snails in there. tiny tiny ones though.

I am assuming you have "pest" snails...like Malaysian trumpets or Ramshorn etc.....

These should not be affected by the salt schedule I will list below, but they might be. If you would like to keep them, remove a few (they reproduce like crazy, so you should only need to keep a few) to a different tank and replace them after salting.

In the aquarium, salt is added in increments of tenths of a percent. This is basically equivalent to teaspoons per gallon. (Eg. One TEAspoon per gallon is 0.1%, two TEAspoons is 0.2%, three TEAspoons is 0.3%) You should never need to go above 0.3% as this level will kill most freshwater parasites and help halt infection. One TABLEspoon is equal to three TEAspoons, so 0.3% can also be measured as one TABLEspoon.

To salt your tank without harm to your plants you can add 0.05% salt every six hours, or 1/2 TEAspoon per gallon every 6 hours. So in a ten gallon tank that would be 5 TEAspoons every 6 hours or so.

Your salt schedule would look like this (assuming you start salting at 12 noon on day one, are asleep before midnight, and wake up at 8a)

Day 1: 5tsp salt at 12n. (0.05%)

5tsp salt at 6p. (0.1%)

Day 2: 5tsp salt at 8a. (0.15%)

5tsp salt at 2p. (0.2%)

5tsp salt at 8p. (0.25%)

Day 3: 5tsp salt at 8a. (0.3%)

Remember that when changing water you are taking out salt. So treat the new water to the same level as the tank before you add it in.

Salt does not evaporate with water, so if you are simply "topping off" your aquarium due to evaporation, DO NOT add more salt.

There is also a great link in my signature (by Trinket) that explains what type of salt to use and the general salting schedule.

Hope this helped! (and sorry to hijack your thread Una! :) )

I too have salted, to .3% and not affected the plants. I've got Kyoko Grass (which they don't eat), Anubias Nana, which the pull up daily and eat both the leaves and the roots, and Gold Ribbon, which they don't like the leaves, but they do still pull out and eat the roots.