Sign in to follow this  
Sakura

Is Gel Food In My Future?

When I get some goldfish again, I think I want to try this whole gel food thing. I've actually had a lot of luck with the Saki-Hikari pellets I use, but I figure I should try the gel food thing at least once. :) But here's the thing... I absolutely abhor cooking, even if it's for myself! :lol1 So I'm looking for the simplest, most pared down, easiest recipe you can possibly think of. I know it's still going to involve a little work, but I can handle a little. It will only be my first attempt, so just the least complicated recipe possible is what I'm looking for. Preferably with very step-by-step and easy to follow instructions. Oh, and fairly inexpensive ingredients would be a plus too! :) Sorry to be so demanding, but hey I know what I want! :rofl

So... any suggestions? :)

Here's the gel food I make and my goldies all love it, it also seems to stop the floaties! :D

Ingredients

2 Pack Unflavored Gelatine

1 Tbsp Water (bottled, filtered/dechlorinated)

4 Sardines (about 1/2 of a 3.75 ounce can)

2 jar Babyfood peas and squash (no sugar or salt added)

1 Tab Lactobacillus Acidophilus

1 Centrum Vitamin

Place the Acidophilus tab and the centrum in 1 T water to soak. You may need to use a spoon to crush it so it dissolves totally.

Finely chop sardines and mix with babyfood in a microwave container and bring to a boil.

Stir in gelatine and stir until dissolved.

After mixture has cooled down to where it's warm, stir in Acidophilus mixture and stir until well mixed. You will need a flat container for the gel food. Gel should be about 1/4" thick.

Refrigerate until set.

Cut into squares. I leave out no more than a week's worth of gel in a plastic bag and store in the refrigerator. The rest I freeze between layers of plastic wrap. When frozen, I store in the freezer in ziplock bags (each holding about a week of food).

As a special treat I also make a fruit gel they really love, but I only give it once a week since it is sweet.

1 jar of baby fruit (banana and strawberry is their fav)

1 Pack Unflavored Gelatine

I heat up the fruit in the microwave and stir in the gelatine. Spread in a layer and cool. Then I freeze in little squares.

Thanks for the reply Edith! A few questions that will probably sound stupid! hehe (I do not cook much)

1. Is this the right gelatin? Gelatin Do you know the exact measurement to use, or do all packages come in the same size?

2. What size jar of baby food do you use? Just the standard very small ones, like this? Baby Food

3. Do the sardines come whole? Can I chop them in a food processor/blender instead of by hand?

4. What is Lactobacillus Acidophilus? Can I find it in the vitamin section of the grocery store?

5. Can you show me a picture perhaps of what the finished product should look like, so I know if I've done it right?

6. For a flat container can I use some type of baking sheet that has edges like this? Baking Sheet

Thank you so much!

Edited by Sakura

No questions are stupid. :) I'll try to answer all of them.

1. Is this the right gelatin? Gelatin Do you know the exact measurement to use, or do all packages come in the same size?

Yes that is the right kind. I believe each little package is 7 gr. So for the first recipe you would use 2 of the little packages from the box.

What size jar of baby food do you use? Just the standard very small ones, like this? Baby Food

Yes that is the same size jar I use.

3. Do the sardines come whole? Can I chop them in a food processor/blender instead of by hand?

I squash them with a fork but you could certainly use a little food processor, but the quantity is quite small. I don't like doing dishes so the fork works for me. :D

4. What is Lactobacillus Acidophilus? Can I find it in the vitamin section of the grocery store?

It is some good bacteria that we all need. But goldfish seem to really need it since they often have floating issues. I get some capsules from the pharmacy. Here a link to one kind: http://www.vitasprings.com/acidophilus-100mg-100-capsules-natrol.html

This is just an example it isn't the brand I use but I'm sure any kind you can find would be okay.

5. Can you show me a picture perhaps of what the finished product should look like, so I know if I've done it right?

I don't have a picture unfortunately but here is a picture from another site, I hope I'm allowed to post this here? http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/rachyw82/DSCF2389.jpg

6. For a flat container can I use some type of baking sheet that has edges like this? Baking Sheet

Yes just cover the pan with some plastic wrap before putting the food in, I find it makes it easier to remover the food from the pan.

Don't hesitate to try this your fish will love you. It is worth the few minutes it takes to make it. :heart

Oh good! That was so much help, thank you! It seems much easier now that you've explained it so well. :) I will certainly give it a try once I get some new fish!

:oops: one thing I forgot to mention. This stuff stinks when you make it. :exactly So don't do like I did and make it just before guest come over. They were pretty afraid about their dinner. :rofl

:rofl That is too funny! I'll make sure to air out the apartment while I'm making it. I bet the cats will love it, they might even have to try some. :) Or maybe just some sardines.

There's something strangely familiar about this thread title....it's almost fishy... :rofl

I tried making gelfood once but added far too much water, and I've only recently found powder gelatin instead of sheets and would like to give it another go but last time I ended up with a tray of gunkiness and it wasn't very nice. I keep meaning to try again, but haven't got around to it! Maybe if you put some pics up of your attempt I will be inspired ;):P

Your cats will love it. I have to double this recipe and I only have 4 goldies, but my dog Max follows me around at feeding time and if he doesn't get his chunk he goes off and sulks. This stuff is addictive I tell you. :feedme

LOL I know Sarah, I realized that after I started the thread! hehe I guess I'm just a copy-cat like that. ;)

Yeah, I'm a little worried that it's going to end up badly for me too, given my cooking history... erm. But the ingredients don't seem too costly, so I could always try and try again! I'll be sure to take pictures once I give it a try and post them on here.

Your cats will love it. I have to double this recipe and I only have 4 goldies, but my dog Max follows me around at feeding time and if he doesn't get his chunk he goes off and sulks. This stuff is addictive I tell you. :feedme

That is awesome! I can just picture myself tripping over my loudly meowing cats as I'm trying to make this stuff! Any time they get even the faintest whiff of tuna they go crazy, so I think it will be even more so with sardines. :lol1

Thought I would post some pics so you guys can see how it turned out. The fish love it! I added too much gelatine, but it still turned out just fine.

IMG_4625.jpgIMG_4626.jpgIMG_4627.jpgIMG_4631.jpgIMG_4636.jpgIMG_4643.jpg

You can see the ingredients I used and how it looked in the end. Samson (my cat) had to have some sardines of course :)

Edited by Sakura