Emergency!

I don't know what happened or who done it!! Yesterday my tank was 79 degrees! I stuck my hand in the water and realized it was freezing! I looked at the temp and it's 63 degrees!!!

I don't know who unplugged it! I don't want my babies to get ill or get dopsy! I don't know what to do!

I just turned back on the heater!

Chopstix is fine BUT Sushii is now bottom sitting and barely seems to be moving!

Edited by Sushi13

Did you turn the heater straight onto the usual temp? I would increase it slowly, maybe 2 degrees at a time over a few hours, the last thing you want is more shock from sudden temperature fluctuations. Hopefully Sushi is just having an 'OMG it's COLD' moment and will recover when the temp gets back to normal. I don't imagine the temp drop would have been really really sudden, it will have been gradual probaby overnight, but don't forget goldfish, particuarly fancies, are less active in cold water anyway so Sushi's behaviour might just be related to that. Covering half the tank might help too.

Hopefully someone can pop in with more help soon and this doesn't turn into something drastic!

I am seriously scared! Sushii came up to see me, and Chopstix is nudging her to swim...it looks like the dial was even played with on my heater! I am trying to fix it right now!

Sushii is not like the cold water either!

I will do what you say, Sarah! Thank you!

Edited by Sushi13

That's really odd....maybe someone decided your coldwater fish should have cold water...might be worth speaking to any housemates and visitors to try to get to the bottom of this. Last thing you want is to sort it and have it happen again. How sensitive is your dial? There's no chance Sushi or Chopstix gave the dial a peck to check it wasn't suddenly edible and it got nudged is there? At least Sushi did come to see you...I hope she's ok :hug

I just gave her a small snack and she seems to be snapping out of her cold front and she getting very aggressive right now when it comes to eating.

I don't know WHO touched my heater...but I will find out! I am very fired up right now, you have no idea!

• Supporter

Just wanted to say good luck and I hope your fish are ok! I think the advice you got was right on, to raise the temp back up slowly and maybe cover the tank. I kept coming home to find a heater unplugged and it took me almost two weeks to figure out my cat was walking around back there and dislodging it! Good luck figuring out who the "fiddler" is!

aww sushi I am so sorry to hear about this :( but I also agree with the above posts try not to raise the temp to quickly...

I recently went with out power,heat and hot water for 3 days and was concerned about my fish with the temp drop,but the temp dropped slowly and I raised it slowly again and so far so good :)I do hope you get to the bottom of this issue!!!

Well the tank is 66 degrees...so I've only raised it slowly and to my surprise Sushii is having a ball?!? She is up and around being goofy in the bubbles and swimming with Chopstix.

Okay....odd.

The cold water doesn't seem to bother her as of now.

Huh? Should I keep her at 68-70 degrees?

Oh. And it was my sister who unplugged the heater! She told me she thought the thermometer said 90 degrees, but her vision is not that great, and so she unplugged it and forgot to tell me. She said she unplugged it on Monday night!

Which explains why my room was so blasted cold over the last several days! I forgave her, I mean I would understand why'd she freak out because her goldfish died when the tank heater didn't shut off and she was at work and it cooked them in other words, so she panicked over mine. I told her the heater was fine!

Ugh. The moors are eating now and seem to be fine.

Do you have a bubbler in your tank? It's just that cold water is much higher in oxygen concentration than warmer water, so it might be that she's enjoying more oxygen. Warm water just doesn't hold it the same, I think the high oxygen requirements are one reason that goldfish are classed as coldwater fish, they are oxygen pigs! Maybe if you keep the tank a bit lower than usual in temp she'll be active more? It's up to you on where you put the temp, I run mine at 76'F but that's only because my lights keep it that warm, I have my heater set at 72'F, you could maybe try the same? Or leave it where it is if you're more comfortable with that. 79'F is nearly tropical temperatures isn't it? I think I read somewhere that while goldfish like warm water, too warm and it can affect how long they live for. It shouldn't really be as high as 80'F unless you're treating for ich or dropsy and then only with lots of aeration. Don't quote me on that though! ;)

Glad to hear her Ladyship is recovered ;)

Well I came home and both were sitting! Chopstix is still small enough to hide under Sushii's tail, so after freaking out for a few minutes I found her!

They don't seem that happy right now, so I am raising the tank again by another 2 degrees. I feel bad for my babies! I didn't mean for this to happen to them. :(