The Underdog Or Grand Champ?

bodoba

I ahve done both. But basically I try to vote with my feet and my dollars. A store will keep bringing in poorly bred, poorly raised and poorly kept fish - torturing them for want of a better word as long as we keep buying them. The best way to stop the poor treatment that so many of these fish get is to simply NOT buy them. So I try not to. I have to admit, though, there have been a few that just "needed me"....

In general, I like to support what a goldfish can and should be. I buy them healthy and strong. Size does not matter as much as quality.

I'm with Daryl, but I've bought my share of runts. Penny (the orange lionhead in my siggy) is a prime example. She was sitting alone in the tank of a chain store for at least a month. I kept seeing her and finally felt so bad I bought her...even though I thought she was kind of ugly :P

But now she's a beauty!!! I never ever would have thought she'd turn out so well.

However I have made a promise to myself this year that I will only be buying fish from the small local lfs that I have bought my fish from all my life. They have good quality AND care. I have to support them.

I'm with Daryl and Chrissy on this one -- I try to remember that by "rescuing" a fish that's in poor condition (either because it's sick/injured, or because the LFS is really negligent, or both), I'm just encouraging the store to bring in more fish and keep them in bad conditions, too.

I work in animal welfare, and I think of the fish thing the same way I do puppy mills. A lot of folks say they "rescued" their dog from the pet store ("He was so pathetic, I just had to save him!"). All they've accomplished is to make the store say, "Yay! Let's order two more puppies from the midwest, 'cause these are selling fast!"

That said, I do have a "special" fish, my pearlscale named Sherbet. He has the lower lobe missing on half his tail fin and his face is very crooked (his mouth is off-center and his whole face kind of skews to the right, if that makes sense). However, Sherbet was in a beautifully kept tank at my favorite LFS with about 25 other happy, healthy pearlies. And when I chose him, the store owner said, "Uh-oh! Are you sure you want him? This one's deformed." I did want him, and did buy him, but my purchase didn't "reward" the store for having a special fish -- Sherbet was definitely the exception in that LFS, not the rule.

I tend to go by character. I will pick active fish that are swimming around the tank, I've never bought a sick fish (not one that was obviously sick anyway!) but I have one that's standard - no kinks in tail or fins, all fins except dorsal paired, and the other has kinks in his tail and an absurdly long single anal fin but was such a charmer he had to come home!

Definately the underdog...

I have a fantail that is a furuncle-magnet, a Moor with a wry mouth and a Ranchu with a lumpy back... and I adore them all :heart

I've done both....I always look for high, rigid fin position and constant activity when purchasing from the lfs. My purebred fish are great to have however my lfs goldfish are equally as valuable to me.

-Dennis

Both. Like Daryl, I have the tendency to choose a more quality specimen when I buy but I had also bought fish in less than perfect health conditions and was able to nurse them back to full health as much as I can. In general though, as much as I would love to rescue the sicker ones, I have to realize to myself that there is much difference between buying them or actually asking them for free (when they are not even worth the price tag they were for because of health issues). To buy them simply dictates the store's terms that there was no issue with their own fish and they will continue to treat their stocks the way they usually do. It takes a lot of will for me to try not to buy the fish even if it was sick. Only way as already said to minimize this trend is boycott such sales and complain it to the managers. If they do not wish to improve their maintenance, shop elsewhere. That's pretty much what we can do.

I picked the ones that had personality. Say, Nathaniel. He wasn't the most gorgeous of the bunch, but his tiny little face begging me for food and they way he spazzed in the current made me pick him. =)

And of course my little Reila I got last week. She has a weird notch in her anal fin and a curl in her tail. Her bubbly personality had me picking her though. :heart