Sign in to follow this  
Huma

Hey Guys, Here Are My Fish.

Hey guys, I am new to the forum and introduced my self on the introduction page. Of course everyone asked for pictures right away soooo here are some of my fishes.

The first one is probably my favorite fish. He is extremely friendly and loves to be hand fed. I got him about a year and a half ago and you can see the development.

Here is a before pic

3280_72529168550_691143550_1663668_.jpg

and how he is now...

fishpicsmarchfirst2010088.jpg

Before

3280_72529153550_691143550_1663666_.jpg

and After

fishpicsmarchfirst2010095.jpg

fishpicsmarchfirst2010059.jpg

Edited by Huma

Next up is my crown pearlscale. I dont have a before and after because i just got him about 3 months ago.

fishpicsmarchfirst2010062.jpg

fishpicsmarchfirst2010040.jpg

You can really see how roundh he is in this one.

fishpicsmarchfirst2010101.jpg

I liked my big headed guy so much i wanted to get a few more Orandas. Here is one I got from my LFS.

fishpicsmarchfirst2010010.jpg

Heres a group shot of some of the other fish in my tank. The two fantails are not mine but a friends that are living in my tank for a while. The blackie is mine.

fishpicsmarchfirst2010002.jpg

Wow!! Your goldfish are just gorgeous!! :)

Pretty, pretty fish!! :goldfish:

WOW,that oranda has turned into an absolutely stunning baby :wub:

I love how that giant wen sticks out of the water...what a cutie!

Nice-thanks for putting them up!!!

Your fish are gorgeous, thanks for sharing pics :)

Oh wow... you goldies are super cute, but that oranda! Oh my Gosh! What awesome head growth.... such a cutie pie!

Guest Kelsang

OoOOO! Your crown pearlie looks just like my Pika!!!

Except Pika lost most of his dimples :(

Thanks everyone I'm glad you like them. I have always liked my Oranda too but wasn't sure what other fish people would think, glad you all approve. Believe it or not I got him from nnnnnn! His wen kinda covers up his right eye, is this normal for orandas? Or i should say is this okay for them as a breed characteristic?

Beautiful Goldies :) Thanks for sharing your pic's with us :)

And Welcome to Koko's :)

Thanks everyone I'm glad you like them. I have always liked my Oranda too but wasn't sure what other fish people would think, glad you all approve. Believe it or not I got him from nnnnnn! His wen kinda covers up his right eye, is this normal for orandas? Or i should say is this okay for them as a breed characteristic?

I absolutely love your orandas! I keep lots of orandas myself. Actually, it's the orandas that are more in number than the other varieties in my collection.lol

Anyway, to answer your questions, yes, depending on the orandas, it is normal. Some orandas grow quite a tremendous wen growth that eventually covers their eyes. Whether it impairs their ability to locate their surroundings, that has always been the most mystifying question. Some owners reported their fish seem to bump into anything but others reported their fish can perfectly locate its surroundings, thanks to the lateral line function that you can find on all fish.

Take the blind cave tetras for instance, the young ones have eyes that are fully intact but as they mature, the pigment starts developing and eventually covering their eyes. This is the same scenario you are observing with orandas whose wen growths can randomly grow depending mostly on genetics and eventually covering their eyes. Blind cave tetras in the wild are found geographically in dark areas so they rely mostly on their lateral lines found along the midsection of the flanks to be able to locate their surroundings very well. This can happen with orandas in a similar fashion.

Most owners though are bothered by it so some even pay their vets to do the wen trimming which involves sedation and eventually incision to remove the wen covering their eyes. This must be done carefully or you risk injuring your fish's eyes! Usually, we do not recommend doing this if you are inexperienced to surgical operations like this. A vet would best handle this especially if he/she specializes in aquatic veterinary so he or she will understand the concepts behind this better than others who never exactly know what to do.

I'm not suggesting you to do a wen trim. I laid out the information there for you as your reference. The choice is yours. Your fish will still be fine either way.:)

Very beautiful goldies, thanks for sharing!

Thanks Lupin, that was very informative. I didn't know they could use their lateral line more when their sight was blocked. It really does not impair his ability to find food as you can probably tell by the chubbiness. Someday FAR in the future i would maybe consider breeding him... do you all think he would be a good candidate? His dorsal is curved and whatnot so i dont know if that would get passed down the line or what?

hi huma u 1st oranda tranformation was great... really loved him :)

wat u r feeding him?how long it took to get this size please say :)

and can u tell me bout how u r keeping them n other stuff.i just luv it.that why asking hope u dont mind :)

LOVE your crown pearlscale! He's a keeper! And the wen on your orange oranda is AMAZING. So cute!

Thanks fish-king, I just hope my other oranda turns out as nice!

I have been feeding him Wardly floating pellets up until about two weeks ago when I found this site. For a while i was feeding all of them some big generic pond pellets but i got sick of breaking them up for the little guys. Now i am feeding freeze dried bloodworms and tetrafin sinking mini-sticks. Every once in a while i feed them shelled peas. Could someone give me feedback on freeze dried blood worms? Are they just dried out styrofoam by then or are they okay freeze dried? The fish really like them.

I have had him maybe like 2 years? It is kinda hard to remember exactly but that seems about right. So i would guess hes about 2 1/2 years old or so roughly. He is about 6-7ish inches long from head to the end of his tail. He lives in a 30 gallon tank right now. Does that help? I realize now that i really have not been keeping him that well.

I absolutely love your orandas! I keep lots of orandas myself. Actually, it's the orandas that are more in number than the other varieties in my collection.lol

Anyway, to answer your questions, yes, depending on the orandas, it is normal. Some orandas grow quite a tremendous wen growth that eventually covers their eyes. Whether it impairs their ability to locate their surroundings, that has always been the most mystifying question. Some owners reported their fish seem to bump into anything but others reported their fish can perfectly locate its surroundings, thanks to the lateral line function that you can find on all fish.

Take the blind cave tetras for instance, the young ones have eyes that are fully intact but as they mature, the pigment starts developing and eventually covering their eyes. This is the same scenario you are observing with orandas whose wen growths can randomly grow depending mostly on genetics and eventually covering their eyes. Blind cave tetras in the wild are found geographically in dark areas so they rely mostly on their lateral lines found along the midsection of the flanks to be able to locate their surroundings very well. This can happen with orandas in a similar fashion.

Most owners though are bothered by it so some even pay their vets to do the wen trimming which involves sedation and eventually incision to remove the wen covering their eyes. This must be done carefully or you risk injuring your fish's eyes! Usually, we do not recommend doing this if you are inexperienced to surgical operations like this. A vet would best handle this especially if he/she specializes in aquatic veterinary so he or she will understand the concepts behind this better than others who never exactly know what to do.

I'm not suggesting you to do a wen trim. I laid out the information there for you as your reference. The choice is yours. Your fish will still be fine either way.:)

Hey Lupin,is there any evidence regarding what their sight capabilities may or may not be,if their eyes have always been covered,when trimmed?

Thanks Lupin, that was very informative. I didn't know they could use their lateral line more when their sight was blocked. It really does not impair his ability to find food as you can probably tell by the chubbiness. Someday FAR in the future i would maybe consider breeding him... do you all think he would be a good candidate? His dorsal is curved and whatnot so i dont know if that would get passed down the line or what?

Your oranda is very beautiful I must admit. He definitely is a good candidate to me. You might want to know that the more modern orandas nowadays are shorter and more compact than before. I could not help but notice this trend even amongst the goldfish enthusiasts in my local club! Daryl shared that this is especially true when the orandas have been crossed with ryukins so most orandas tend to have a steep curve at the back. These are truly beautiful fish to have although the more compact ones do have a higher susceptibility to floaty issues than the more elongated ones.

I still keep both of these orandas, elongated and even compact. I personally like the compact ones (a little elongated though) much better but not some of what they considered shortbodied forms. Your oranda is definitely one of those shortbodied ones that is considered a modernized form. The shortbodied ones have been in so much demand and supply but until now, I couldn't find most of them as appealing as yours and the more elongated ones. I have also noticed it is always the shortbodied ones that seem to have tremendous wen growths to the point some have their eyes covered.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You'll find them more fascinating than I do who knows. If you wish to breed that oranda, go for it. There is no reason why you don't have to. The wen growth can vary depending on genetics, food intake and environmental conditions as always.

Thanks fish-king, I just hope my other oranda turns out as nice!

I have been feeding him Wardly floating pellets up until about two weeks ago when I found this site. For a while i was feeding all of them some big generic pond pellets but i got sick of breaking them up for the little guys. Now i am feeding freeze dried bloodworms and tetrafin sinking mini-sticks. Every once in a while i feed them shelled peas. Could someone give me feedback on freeze dried blood worms? Are they just dried out styrofoam by then or are they okay freeze dried? The fish really like them.

I have had him maybe like 2 years? It is kinda hard to remember exactly but that seems about right. So i would guess hes about 2 1/2 years old or so roughly. He is about 6-7ish inches long from head to the end of his tail. He lives in a 30 gallon tank right now. Does that help? I realize now that i really have not been keeping him that well.

I don't think you were keeping him in any way considered irresponsible. If you had, you would not have accomplished a feat of growing the oranda to 6-7". Not many people can manage that. This just implies you were doing a good job with your oranda before you even discovered this forum but sometimes, there are things that need to be changed hoping that the slight improvements will allow the fish to thrive longer.

I don't like to feed my fish with any freeze dried stuff. If anything, I just gun for the frozen ones. No live, no freeze dried. The live ones increase risk of transmission of parasites to fish. This is something I am not willing to risk my fish about. This is especially true with tubifex worms that have been known to transfer myxosporidian parasites to fish. The myxo parasites are VERY difficult to eliminate once they establish themselves on your fish, one VERY good reason not to feed your fish with any live food that came from vague sources. If you can culture them yourself, then go for it otherwise do NOT risk feeding your fish live foods from various sources that you do not know how they were cultured or processed.

Usually the freeze dried stuff adds up air as the fish attempts to ingest them. You could presoak them. I just find them a waste of time in general and opt to feed mine gel foods, sinking commercial pellets (properly formulated by Hikari; none with too much starch in them), frozen foods and vegetables. Always err on the side of caution. If in doubt, don't bother attempting it.

Hey Lupin,is there any evidence regarding what their sight capabilities may or may not be,if their eyes have always been covered,when trimmed?

Hmmm...Based on my understanding, goldfish do not always have their eyes covered until the wen starts taking over. Once this happens, most fish have to adapt to switch their senses to the use of lateral line in order to locate their surroundings effectively. I received updates from some members in another forum who ultimately decided to trim the wen whether with vet assistance or not, their fish were able to see around much better than before but that doesn't mean they haven't been using their lateral lines if they cannot make full use of their eyes. All fish were designed to locate their surroundings via lateral line in general. Without it, they won't be able to detect anything their way.

If you feel the fish's sight is becoming impaired by the wen and seems to crash on anything apparently not able to locate its surroundings well, then you could consider a wen trim. Knowing you, Susan, you have plenty of wen headed goldfish and I admittedly do.lol Am I being shrewd? *flushes deep pink*

Edited by Lupin

Those are some gorgeous fish if I must say so myself. I love your calico fantail what a cutie heartpump.gif Welcome to Koko's and thanks for sharing! biggrin.gif

man thanks for the info.u have done a great job with ur goldies and i really really luv them if i was living around u i would have steal those hihihihihihi luv them :)

Sure fish-king, any other questions about them Id be happy to answer.

And thinking about it, the idea of breeding him someday (pretty sure its a him, pec fins are very rough) is starting to grow on me. His dorsal fin is curved and his two anal fins are kinda off if I look close. Any breeders know if stuff like that is hard to remove through breeding? i guess i wouldnt care to much about it even if it was passed down.

Not all fry are bound to have the curved dorsal fin. I'd expect though you may have to cull what you consider rejects if you have the heart to do that. Full grown orandas can lay as many as 3000 eggs but usually, only a few dozens eventually make it to adulthood with or without defects unless you choose to cull the defective ones which could further reduce the number of fry you have. Be sure you have enough space to accommodate everyone. Even a few dozens of fry is still a lot to handle.