Evening- HBH Goldfish Discs

Friday:

Morning- Tetra Flake (Snack Only)

Evening- Strawberries

Saturday:

Morning- HBH Goldfish Discs

Evening- Banana

Is this enough variety for them?

What's the info on HBH Goldfish Disc? Gel foods would give you a more varied diet for your fish. Why can't you include gel foods, bloodworms, daphnia, egg whites and a few more veggies?

I've had bad experiences with bloods worms back in the past that has put a natural fear in me to feed my fish that again!

Vegetables they hate! I have tried carrots, lettuce, cucumber and they simply spit it out or ignore it! :|

Ingredients in HBH Discs:

Ingredients:

Fish meal, wheat flour, wheat germ, pea powder, shrimp meal, krill meal, wheat starch, spirulina algae, squid meal, beet powder, dehydrated alfalfa meal, red pepper powder, brewers dried yeast, astaxanthin, natural mixed tocopherols (preservative), rosemary extract, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin c), vitamin a acetate, choline chloride, a-tocopheryl acetate (source of vitamin e), niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, pyridoxine hcl, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, folic acid, d-activated animal sterol (source of vitamin d3), vitamin b12 supplement, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, magnesium proteinate, iron proteinate, citric acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:

* Crude Protein (min) 44.0%

* Crude Fat (min) 5.0%

* Crude Fiber (max) 2.0%

* Moisture (max) 10.0%

Gel food I have not tried with them yet....not sure how they will react to it. Daphnia food, again I have not tried with them.

Interesting. Give gel foods a shot. A little more variety does not hurt. Can you order mazuri gel from Goldfish Utopia? It'll work better as a staple than HBH Goldfish Disc. No starch included in it and you can combine it with vegetables, sardines/mackerel/tuna, Centrum multivitamins, calcium and acidophilus. This recipe works better as a staple than anything else.

HBH discs contain too much starch. Not something I would feed the goldies frequently.

What is the issue with bloodworms? Allergies? Use gloves when handling them.

It can be transmitted through certain foods by my understanding!

I remember I gave my fish frozen bloodworms...days later they got dospy and died! I did research then and they said it can be transmitted by frozen foods!

I never fed frozen food after that experience!

I've never heard of that with goldfish. Could you please cite the sources? I feed my goldfish and tropicals with bloodworms and never see that issue but I vary their diet regardless.

Lupin that research was done when I was 17. I remember looking online back in the day, but that was over ten years ago. I haven't given my fish bloodworm or frozen foods since then.

It was some fish hobbyist with 25 years of experience and that is only what I remember.

Lupin that research was done when I was 17. I remember looking online back in the day, but that was over ten years ago. I haven't given my fish bloodworm or frozen foods since then.

It was some fish hobbyist with 25 years of experience and that is only what I remember.

I do not think however if you buy frozen bloodworms that are UV sterilized, there would be such risk like that. Of course, there is no 100% guarantee they're totally free of parasites. The Hikari brand you could readily trust though. I'd personally give it a shot. I am a member of several forums and this is the first time I heard of frozen bloodworms causing issues despite the measures taken to keep them parasite-free. It's not unusual though for tubifex worms to harbor myxosporidian parasites, good reason enough to avoid tubifex completely.

Bloodworms and some of the other "live" foods you can harvest from a local pond or puddle are notorious for carrying disease. It is not at all uncommon for them to carry various bacteria as well as other parasites (velvet being common). Many people are allergic to bloodworms - and will have an itchy swelling where they touch them.

Bloodworms and some other protein foods are very good foods - but goldfish are omniverous - and should have a variety. Feeding the FROZEN or freeze dried blood worms and other things is fine - choose a name brand and you are pretty much guaranteed that they are "clean". (Soak any dried food - or soak and incorporate into gel food to avoid floating issues in your fish).

"Dropsy" is caused by various bad bacterias that set up shop in your fish. They can come from many sources. Bloodworms, actually, carry far worse problems with variouls parasites in many cases. Some of the other live food (tubifex, particularly!) are considered "waste eaters" and they can contain a lot of nasty things. I would avoid those. IT is better to harvest your live food from your own clean culture - or buy them from a reliable source. The frozen cubes are a good source. (Bloodworms are midge larvae - not mosquito).

Gel food is really a great way to get a good diet into your fish. I think your HBH disks are fine.... and youare supplementing well. Drop all those things into a gel - and you get a bit of everythign all the time. Take those veggies and put them into gel with some bloodworms and other things - and they will eat them nicely.