Sign in to follow this  
stevent

Controlling Snail Population

I added a few pond snails in my tank to clean off the algae, but now I have them all over the aquarium. How can I keep them from taking over my tank?

Salting the tank to 0.3ppm will do most of the job. Picking helps. The fish will or should eat a lot of them.

I would avoid putting in various chemicals touted to remove snails. Generally, you are adding a pestacide - only in a low enough dose that it kills the snails before it kills your fish. A weaker fish may not make it - or it may have a subtle bad impact on the fish.

I pick snails. I salt. Once, I took the fish and all the media from the filter and rinsed it well. Opened up the clam shells and picked all the snails out. Then I added potassium permanganate to the tank and blasted the whole thing. Deactivated, emptied and refilled - reset and repopulated with fish. No more snails.

Small pond snails can be a real headache - they reproduce like CRAZY!

My snails seem unfazed by salt in my experience. They just keep reproducing although they still can't match the speed of my goldfish when it comes to foods so their population remains regulated very well, thanks to my goldfish's gluttony.

There are a few other safe options you can try.

1. Manual removal

You simply remove every snail you spot. Crush them and your fish will absolutely love chomping on them. I've done this before for my fish and they'd swarm around the crushed snail gobbling at it before going back to their usual business.

2. Lettuce baiting.

This is easily done. You can combine this with a bottle trap (not advisable if its mouth is big enough to allow the fish to slip in) or simply weigh it down with a stone on a bowl. Once it is overloaded with snails, remove the lettuce and you can dispose the snails attached on it.

3. Cutting back on foods

This works very easily by far. I admit I am fond of snails so I try to leave a few in my tanks here and there. Although I still remain a stickler for several small meals a day for my goldfish, it is my goldfish that cuts the snails' food supply severely. Pardon the pun but it actually happens a lot. It's either your job or you make sure the tank has no tight spots around for foods to slip in so the goldfish will gobble everything. That disabled the snails' ability to take over the tanks in my experience.

goldfish can eat snail?

Oh yes! Generally, they'll eat anything they can fit in their mouths ;)

I guess mine are just to picky. The small snails in the tank they leave alone, but when the snails lay eggs....it's like a feast for my goldies.

i unfortunately have a snail problem in my OTHER tank, which does not have goldfish, but tetras and a betta. lol i should just check in my goldfish in there once and a while so it can be a clean up crew. hahaha xD i have seen around 6 very tiny snails, if they get worse, i will take action with some of this stuff. the lettuce one sounds interesting.

You can always sterilize plants before adding them to your tank. I used Had a Snail to dip plants in first, then rinse well before putting them in the main tank. However, they also can come in even in bags with fish in them, so check carefully when adding new fish to your tank (you don't want to add pet store water anyway).