What's Easier For You?

blackteles

I was thinking about this earlier on my way back from my LFS today. What's easier for others to keep? Goldfish or tropicals?

Personally, I've had more luck (fingers crossed) with my goldfish compared to my tropicals. I've had some losses with my tetras a few months back even though it was cycled but now it seems like the tropical tank is under control. Now it's to the point where I can add to build my tetra schools and not worry about losing any.

So I would have to say my goldfish are the easiest of the two for me. :D

-Dennis

Even establishing the tropical tank is easier. At least in work detail. But.... I find the goldfish easier in one way - because I enjoy them so much more, I am much more inclined to fuss with them, clean them, work the tank, work the water and the environment.... in general to TAKE CARE of them.

The tropicals are pretty and make a nice "decoration" but I do not get attached to any specific fish, per se'. Goldfish - they are individual friends that I care about very much.

Even establishing the tropical tank is easier. At least in work detail. But.... I find the goldfish easier in one way - because I enjoy them so much more, I am much more inclined to fuss with them, clean them, work the tank, work the water and the environment.... in general to TAKE CARE of them.

The tropicals are pretty and make a nice "decoration" but I do not get attached to any specific fish, per se'. Goldfish - they are individual friends that I care about very much.

+1

My heavy planted tropical tank is the easiest. I find it just as much fun and entertaining as the goldfish too.

So far my hardest tanks are the little ones. Anything under 20 gallons. Next to that would be my oscar not the upkeep but finding stuff he wont/cant break. He also attacks the spray bar for the canister and I have to put it back on a couple times a week. Silly fish.

My Tiger Barb tank is MUCH easier. I like watching their silly antics. BUT my goldfish tank is definitely the most fun!! I enjoy watching them, buying stuff for them, changing the decor around EVEN the weekly cleaning is fun for me!!! I guess NON fish people wouldn't understand that but it's true!

I don't have a tropical tank, but I do have a 5 gallon minnow tank, which I guess is the coldwater equivalent of a tetra tank. I've had several issues with goldies in the 18 months I've had them, I can't seem to keep them alive longer than 9 months, but my minnows have never been a problem. In some ways that's not a good thing. They don't get the same attention and care as my goldies do. I've not missed a water change on the goldie tank unless I've been away but I have missed them on the minnow tank, their so hardy and produce so little mess that I sometimes get lazy. I also keep the tank in the bedroom, so I see it when I wake up or go to bed but not during the day when I could be doing waterchanges. I go to bed and think 'I need to change the water' so many times. I've thought about putting them somewhere else but there isn't really anywhere else I can put them where there's an electrical outlet and they wouldn't be in the way.

Overall I'd definitely say the minnow tank is much easier than the goldie tank, and I like to watch the minnows but I don't get the same satisfaction from their tank as I do for my goldies. I always seem to find money to spend on my goldies for meds etc but have been wanting to upgrade my 4 minnows to a 10 gallon square tank for a while and just can't justify the cost at the moment. The only other tank I have is a 24 gallon and I do not have space for that anywhere. I guess because they seem hardier and healthy I just don't see it as so urgent.

I couldn't have said it better. :exactly

I agree that I get more enjoyment out of the goldfish tank. That is the one I am most proud of and I am much more attached to the fish. I can't even tell a lot of my tropicals apart, let alone their individual personalities (fishalities?) :P

• Admin

i have had many kinds of fish over the years, even Oscars which started me in the goldfish area.

I agree that tropicals (most of them) are easier than the goldfish, but i dont get as attached to them as I do with the goldfish. When I had a saltwater tank I did get attached to them but i think Salt water tanks are just as hard as the goldfish.

Right now I have a goldfish and Guppy tank and the Guppy tank is so much easier to deal with, but i will never give up the goldfish :heart

Both. A few tropicals are far easier than goldfish definitely but there are still several other tropicals that remain as high maintenance as goldfish. Discus is one of those. You know there are people who would tell you discus are the hardest fish to keep. That is absolutely NOT true. In general, discus are easily stunted so one thing you have to do to prevent this is keep the juveniles (size range of 2-4" commonly sold) in barebottom tanks UNLESS you intend to buy adults instead (4" in size and over) in which case, you may immediately keep them in a fully decorated tank without considerable risk of stunting them at all. Do 4-5 small meals a day and daily water changes for young discus. Stocking less is better at this point. A 55g should house at least 4-5 young discus only, no more, no less. 4 is the most recommended minimum to avoid bullying which could level the others considerably. Discus still rival goldfish for the amount of poop they expel! This is one surefire way to ensure your discus stocks are not stunted as indicated by their unusual football shape, prominent spine above the head and disproportionately large eyes for their body size (note eyes should be 1/8 or less of the body size).

Just pointing out that there is not much comparison except in a few instances when you consider which of the two groups is easier. This is why I chose not to specifically answer both. Not all tropicals are the same in terms of their basic requirements but neither are goldfish IMO. Some varieties of goldfish are far easier than the rest.

I've had luck with Cichlids all my life.

Two years ago, I restarted with golfish and had no luck when the first one died. Ooops. :|

I have my goldie babies now...and I wouldn't exchange them for no other fish! Not even tropicals.

I had a terrible time with Goldies. They just weren't adapting well to my tank at all, and that was never an issue when I had with my tropicals or crayfish.

I kept trying though, and drove farther away from my LFS to find better, healthier stock. It was in a little fish store about an hour away from me that I finally found my lil' guys Jimba and Loa and they've been with me for a good 6 months.

Suffice to say, that as soon as I saw my little goldies happy and healthy I don't want to go back to tropicals. I find my little guys so fulfilling, and joy inducing than I ever did with my other guys.

It has always been easier for me to keep tropicals. The tank maintance is much easier, especially as Hidr said if it is heavily planted, the other, as statded before I never get to attached to any tropical fish.

Right now, for me it's a toss up as to which is more fun. The goldies are absolutley more fun to watch each with there own personallity, but watching a heavily planted tropical tank, how it develops and fills in can be very enjoyable too.

Both :)

I enjoy my goldfish, but they are probably the most heavy maintenance fish (in tank OR pond) to keep. Well, koi are more work, but these guys are a close second. Their also one of the most expensive, good x10 (well, x20 for me) filtration is expensive to buy, as are larger tanks, which means large lights, and the like. Bigger things cost more. Although I have tropical tanks as big (and bigger in the past) then my goldfish, on a per fish basis, the cost of setup is more for a goldfish then any other I have kept yet. For instance, my 40gal cost me $300 (aus) to set up, and that was bargain hunting for cheap but good stuff. With three fish in their, that's $100 of setup per fish, plus the purchase price of the fish (Luna - 200inc import fees, Lady nothing, Lexie $30). So more like 177 per fish (cost and setup price)

Compare that to my old 40gal tropicial, that cost $200 inc the fish. I had it stocked with 10 female fighting fish. All up, thats $20 per fish (cost and setup price) in initial outlay.

I get so much enjoyment from the goldies though, its worth it. Compared to the aggressive fighting fish (which I do love, I breed HMs) their a nice, peaceful species to watch. They also seem to have much fewer issues disease wise then my tropicals.

I've kept marine, tropical and coldwater tanks. Goldfish are still one of my faves (ties with my fighters for first place) ;)

Hmmm, Lupin, your making me want to set up a discus tank again. Their wear some beautiful red snakeskin discus in the shop the other day. :krazy::krazy::krazy:

But I need the room for the fighters. :yeah:

• 3 weeks later...