So How To Decorate?

Hello!

Well I have this here tank,

DSC01360.jpg

and as you can see there is pretty much nowt in it bar 3 goldies, some food, a filter and a thermometer. Before you go on at me yes I know I'm overstocked it'll get sorted soon enough.

In the meantime Klaus got sick so I ended up taking everything out in order to eliminate the risk of bugs hanging around. Now that seems to have finished I am ready to start thinking about redecorating...

I'm not going to put in the old red gravel, nor the vase (they loved it but I prefer it for my roses).

It used to look like this:

4307274136_c5ac71186f.jpg

I have no trust in the gravel now but I like my river rocks so I am thinking of putting them back in, and my plants as well (though how to put them in a pot I'm not sure??)

Anyway suggestions welcome!

xxx

I'd think about whether you want a theme and also how much you're willing to spend on your tank. I wanted mine really natural looking, so I have driftwood and lots of plants and lumps of white quartz. Some people like oriental themes or really really wacky. The fish really won't mind even if the tank is completely bare. Have a look in the tank photos or the tank of the month competitions, I got the idea for the quartz in my tank after seeing Shawna's TOTM entry where she has lots of fake plants with white gravel, the white really makes the green pop and they look really good together. Using big white rocks instead of gravel I got from seeing one of Jennybug's tanks. Have a nosey and steal everyone elses ideas :rofl

Since the filter looks kind of small before you spend money on decorations I would get a bigger filter or a second filter to get you up to 200 gph.

Then I would look around at the idea for decorations remember to stay away from hollow stuff.

I agree, filtration's first :) I've just started decorating mine with glass beads and gems, a few plants and glass decor and I love it; cleaning time is cut substantially without resin decor and it's helped my algae issues. I do have to rinse my filters more often, since there's no hiding places for gunk in the tank, the filters are getting everything. Definitely go through the tank photo section, I take inspiration from a lot of other people's tanks ;)

I was thinking I could go with a thrifty kind of look and just pick up bits and bobs here and there. I have loads of mugs and was thinking I will put my baby Pingu mug in and some other ones (I love penguins). And I have a couple of plants already, and they are live - so how could I plant them in the Pingu mug?