Black Ryukin

panda

is it possible to breed a black ryukin? I have never seen one, but there are black orandas, telescopes, ranchues, lionheads and bubble eyes, but I've never seen a black ranchu. How would one be bred?

I've never seen a black Fantail either, now that you mention it....maybe breeding to Black Moors to try to get some Black Ryukin looking fish, and slowly outcross with the best speicimans back to straight Ryukins through a few generations might get you some black Ryukins.

Jessica

I would be the first one buying a black ryukin from you!! Unfortunately, black is such an unstable color in fish, thats why its so hard, and the fish tend to be more expensive.... ;) I am sure, somebody in China is working on a black ryukin, probably TungHoi Aquarium, thats where most of the new fish breeds come from.

Black Oranda, is that your ranchu?? thats a wonderful fish!! :wub:

well from what I know about animal genetics usually black is a recessive gene, in almost all animals, cats, hamsters, gerbils, mice, rabbits, etc. So I don't see why it wouldn't be recessive in fish too. My guess is the orange is dominant since that is the original color, or the basic color. So if I were to breed a really good black moor to a ryukin , then take the offspring of the parents and breed some back to the black moore parent or another good black moore then there should be the possiblilty of some black ryukins. The babies of the first set of parents (moore and ryukin) would carry black genes, so if you bred them back to another black, then a few blacks should show up, or black moores. Or you can breed some of the siblings together. You could do this with different sets of parents so that you aren't breeding sibling fish risking deformities. You shouldn't inbreed too much from what I've read about breeding. I was just curious if its something that exists already or if someone still should try it. I can't breed yet, not enough tank space to do that, but if I ever do I would love to try to get a black ryukin!!

• 7 months later...
Guest Nick_Schembri

I started with goldfish last month and I got a couple of red ryukins. Now one of them is turning black. It started from the tail and then the fins. Who knows, maybe it will turn completely black. After all its only 1.5" SL

I have a Ryukin that is about 75% black. The rest is orange and yellow. I do not have a picture to show you. I bought him at nnnnnn about 6 months ago. His color has actually gotten darker since I have had him! He had a white friend so we called them Yin and Yang. Whitey had swimmers bladder though and didnt last that long. I will try and get a pic up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest jewelbabes1990

We had a black moore in our tank lay eggs and a white ryukin fertilize them. We deicded to take out 12 eggs just to see if we could hatch them as an experiment. We were biginners at all this. We ended up with 4 healthy babies. One of which is a completely black ryukin and one other that is red with a black outline and they are both great looking fish. None of the babies we have looked anything like they black moore mother, they all had the shape of the ryukin father.

This was over a year ago and they are still going strong and are just as big as the fish we have had for over two years, if not bigger.

Jewels

Archived