Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

I Bred An Albino!

Ok, I guess I should not get too excited yet. But I have goldfish fry that are about 2 weeks old now.

I noticed one of the fry was freaky looking. The others are clear and this one had a clear stomach like the others, but his whole head and tail region were white. He was bigger than the rest too. I thought maybe something was wrong with him!!

Well the others have caught up and are all the same size now, and the white one does not seem so white or weird looking.

BUT WHAT did I see today??!! A pair of little red eyes looking back at me :lol

Meh, I could not for the life of me find an albino goldfish, so I bred my own :rofl

Jessica

That is really neat, Jessica! How many fry do you have?

I once desperately wanted a white oriental poppy for my garden and couldn't find one anywhere. The following spring, when my oriental poppies bloomed, I had a white one! I hadn't planted it, but I guess it came from the plants seeding.

Ok, I guess I should not get too excited yet. But I have goldfish fry that are about 2 weeks old now.

I noticed one of the fry was freaky looking. The others are clear and this one had a clear stomach like the others, but his whole head and tail region were white. He was bigger than the rest too. I thought maybe something was wrong with him!!

Well the others have caught up and are all the same size now, and the white one does not seem so white or weird looking.

BUT WHAT did I see today??!! A pair of little red eyes looking back at me :lol

Meh, I could not for the life of me find an albino goldfish, so I bred my own :rofl

Jessica

Jessica, that is so cool. I have a common that is white with red eyes. I was given him by my LFS guy when he got rid of his pond. I had never seen one before him. I'll have to try and get pictures of him. He doesn't seem to like the camera like some of my other fish do.

Maybe the light hurts his eyes? (comment about the camera shy fishy)

Neat you could probably sell him for a lot. :D You probably want to keep him though. :lol: Good luck on keeping him alive. :goodluck

Whoo-hoo!! Congrats on your babies, and especially your little albino! I cant wait to see pics of them all. Any idea who the parents are?

Thanks everyone =o)

I have 11 fry.

The parents are "Whitie" (she is the mom, and she is a Ryukin, but looks half fantail)

And the father, I am not quite sure about. I think it is safe to say that it is Woogie, a blue oranda (who is turning white!) He is the one doing most of the chasing and has the breeding stars on his gills and pec fins.

My lionhead and my big black moor, also are males, but they do not seem very interested in Whitie. I suppose it could be either of them as well.

Touchofsky that is so cool that you flowers seeded the white poppy that you wanted. It is really neat the way things work out like that. :D

Jessica

nice one jess !

Guest jimmyd2000

Where in canada do you live? Im always looking for new additions. I live in brampton ontario near t.o.

jess,

man! that is soooo cool! i didnt even know that goldfish have the ability to be albino! now that i know this, i want one really bad. ive got an idea; howabout giving me yours! :happydance whats that you say? never in a million years?!?! well, i guess it never hurts to ask. anyway, good luck with your little axanthic buddy! :hi

Hi Jess,

I thought I would send a picture of my red and white ryukin. I know he is not an albino because he has some red on his body, but aren't the red eyes great?

I can't wait to see your little guy/girl when he/she grows up :)

post-9-1076025271.jpg

Edited by touchofsky

Touchofsky your Ryukin is FABULOUS. I love him. The eyes are a really nice touch. I've never seen anything like that :D

Well I've been looking for my red eyed fry, I only have 11 fry, and I can't find the one with red eyes <_< I swear I didn't make it up! LOL It must be hiding. I want to take them all out and look now, but I'm afraid I'll hurt them. I will have to wait until they are a bit bigger.

I tried to take pictures of them, but there are still too small.

Jimmy, I live up past London ON. Heehee, I go to my parents in Brighton every few months, and I have to take the 401 right past TO..... ;o)

*slaps Toothless's hand* *Hands OFF that's my fish* :lol LOL

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

Maybe you need higher light in order to see the red eyes :)

The picture I sent was of Merlin, the male red/white ryukin with red eyes. I also have a red/white female ryukin, Morgana. She has red eyes, too. I bought her at the same time that I bought Merlin :)

Merlin is beautiful. :lol If him and Morgana, ever spawn, I will be happy to take some "kids" off of your hands LOL.

I read about someone shipping eggs to another breeder, and the breeder that recieved the eggs hatched them LOL. I never thought of that. Mail order fish eggs :rofl

I am going to put extra lighting over the tank when I go to clean the fry tank, in an hour. I will try to find that little "Whitie"!

Jessica

That is sooo neat. I know your fries are goldfish but what kind are they. Are you going to keep all of them or do you breed regularly? :happydance

These are my first fry. The mom is a Ryukin, the picture in my avitar, and the dad is ??? I *think* a Blue Oranda, that is turning White.

But I also have a male Lionhead and a male Black Moor in that tank. I'm guessing the Oranda though, because he is the one that actively chases my Ryukin.

Jessica

Merlin and Morgana would make a nice couple, since they are so well matched. Let us see what spring brings :D

That is absolutely the neatest. Sounds like your babies will be beautiful adults. Well congratulations to your fish mommy and her human mommy. Can't waite to see pictures.

congrats !!!

Guest Stormleader

Maybe the blue oranda started turning white when he found out he was a father!!! I know I would!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!