Bandit Flipping Over

caitie

Well his appetite is good but, I wouldn't exactly say he's happy about the AP food this time around. ;) He was very happy to get his regular gel food this morning tho. :D

Do you think I need to take everything out of his tank again if this might be another ''expulsion of wiggly things'' as you say? :unsure:

I've just been rinsing everything in hot water everyday during his water change. He loves his new decor so much I didn't have the heart to remove it this time around.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he is enjoying the new furniture I would leave it be. Your water stats are still good I assume (as you transferred the cycle complete right?) just be ready with the vacuum ;)

Sorry about the AP food not being tasty. Im glad you can squeeze in something he likes and still get the amount of AP necessary into him.

He is a big eater for a fish so small :bingo:

Oh yes big eater and big pooper. :rofl In his tank I really really miss the gravel it hid so many things. :yeah:

Thanks Sarah didn't even think about that. :) He still eats it but he's not overly excited about it. But at least it's only for 3 days in the week.

Your patience and love for this gorgeous little guy is amazing! :heart

I use Seachem Garlic Guard when my guys are down, they love it - it's like watching sharks feed! - and it boosts their immune system as well. A 100ml bottle last for ages as you only need a few drops at a time to soak your pellets (I use Hikari Gold). I daresay you could add it to gel food as well?

Your patience and love for this gorgeous little guy is amazing! :heart

I use Seachem Garlic Guard when my guys are down, they love it - it's like watching sharks feed! - and it boosts their immune system as well. A 100ml bottle last for ages as you only need a few drops at a time to soak your pellets (I use Hikari Gold). I daresay you could add it to gel food as well?

Thanks Squik. The gel food he eats with no problem but the anti parasite food he is getting a little sick of, so I will try the garlic stuff.

I admit that he has been negleted a little bit since wednesday poor little guy. Since I'm now dealing with a sick dog too that was my priority.

But he seems to be doing a bit better with his swimming and the dark shadow or spot that I could see seems to be fading but I just noticed this evening that he was pooping bright red poops which aren't normal since the gel food is pea green. I'm not exactly sure when he started this since I've been concentrating on other things these last two days. :oops: Nobody else feeds him so I'm sure about what he ate.

He hasn't expelled any worms or any other weird things except the red poop.

His eye is still popping out but less than a few days ago.

Sunday he starts the AP food again so I hope he will eat it with the Garlic juice. Tomorrow I will give him peas to flush out his system before the AP food.

I just went to turn on his light so he is a bit quiet right now. But he looks rather good, not swollen at all, only his little eye is still popping out a bit. Thanks for asking Martha. :)

Just finished doing his wc and I'm not sure where this is coming from but the test results before the wc were:

Ammo: 0.25 Nitrites 0 and nitrates below 5.

Now this tank has been cycled for a long time so I don't know why we have ammo showing up again. :doh11:

Especially with daily wc's.

The other thing is that something weird is coming out of his aquaclear filter. The media in the filter was rinsed in tank water on tuesday. The plastic filter was cleaned at the same time all the tubes etc. Tonight this came out when I turned it off to do his wc. There was a lot of this stuff all over the tank. I had to remove Bandit while I cleaned it all out.

filterstuff.jpg

I've never had this in any other filters, any idea what it could be? By the way I only have the sponge and those biomax things in the filter.

Edited by caitie

I wonder if maybe with his erratic swimming he's not getting all the gelfood, I know mine breaks up a little bit if it's in the water any length of time, and some might have got into the filter and rotted down encouraging a biofilm or something? That would account for the ammonia and possibly the white gunk....

I wonder if maybe with his erratic swimming he's not getting all the gelfood, I know mine breaks up a little bit if it's in the water any length of time, and some might have got into the filter and rotted down encouraging a biofilm or something? That would account for the ammonia and possibly the white gunk....

Could be but my gel food is pretty solid for Bandit and I usually hand feed it to him in little bites now. But this does sound right especially with the ammonia showing up as you say. Well I'll know in the next few days. He is back on the AP food today and I cleaned his filter last night again.

I just spent the last half and hour reading this thread, oh the drama!!! :doh11:

But I have to agree with everyone else, this really is a story of true fishie love, the amount of love and effort you are putting in is amazing. What a great fishie mom! :heart:heart

Will be keeping an eye on the progress, and keeping fingers and fins crossed for you guys!

Imo I hope you see this. Today Bandit started the 2nd week of AP food (I'm giving him 3 days AP/4days gel).

He did pass a couple of very tiny worms tonight.

Yesterday we had some ammonia showing in his tank and some weird slimy/fluffy thing from the filter. Thing is he is still getting daily 70-80% wc and the filter had been cleaned tuesday, so I'm not sure what happened? Today ammo is 0; nitrite 0 and nitrate well below 5.

But under his tail that fleshy part right before the tail fin begins, is all red and irritated. I'm not sure I can get a good pic because he seems very weak right now and I don't really want to stress him by trying to catch him.

Oh and I don't know if this is important or not but he has been pooping bright red, but the gel food is green? :unsure:

That looks like slimecoat to me. Did you test the tap PH and compare it to the tank? That is my only guess.

I hope he is feeling better. Hang in there, Bandit.

Yes PH is a perfect match. I thought it might be slimecoat except there was so much of it. It was literally all over the tank and the poor little guy is so small I don't know if he could shed so much. :unsure:

That looks like slimecoat to me. Did you test the tap PH and compare it to the tank? That is my only guess.

I hope he is feeling better. Hang in there, Bandit.

Yes PH is a perfect match. I thought it might be slimecoat except there was so much of it. It was literally all over the tank and the poor little guy is so small I don't know if he could shed so much. :unsure:

:oops: hit the button twice.

Edited by caitie

don't they loose slime when they are stressed? I CANNOT believe he is pooping eggs again! this is never-ending!

Is the red like last time - septicemia-ish?

I know that my Dr.House will lose slime coat whenever I do a water change (perfectly matched temp+pH) - it is easy to see on him as he is black - you can see the large pieces pealing off and getting stuck around his telescope eyes. but he is the healthiest of my fish.... :idont Maybe they are just sensitive to the 'change' of water - as you are putting clean water instead of 'less clean' water - so there has to be a change for them... The only thing that could be a problem in Bandit's case is if his immunity is already low - it would suck he gets an infection because of low slime coat.... you could try doing smaller water changes 2x a day - like 30 and 30 - so you keep the conditions more stable - like cleaning on clean. not sure if this makes any sense. but if you prevent nitrates from getting to high - like around 1-5 - it would be closer to your tap water.

just a thought! not sure if it is anyway linked :rofl

don't they loose slime when they are stressed? I CANNOT believe he is pooping eggs again! this is never-ending!

Is the red like last time - septicemia-ish?

I know that my Dr.House will lose slime coat whenever I do a water change (perfectly matched temp+pH) - it is easy to see on him as he is black - you can see the large pieces pealing off and getting stuck around his telescope eyes. but he is the healthiest of my fish.... :idont Maybe they are just sensitive to the 'change' of water - as you are putting clean water instead of 'less clean' water - so there has to be a change for them... The only thing that could be a problem in Bandit's case is if his immunity is already low - it would suck he gets an infection because of low slime coat.... you could try doing smaller water changes 2x a day - like 30 and 30 - so you keep the conditions more stable - like cleaning on clean. not sure if this makes any sense. but if you prevent nitrates from getting to high - like around 1-5 - it would be closer to your tap water.

just a thought! not sure if it is anyway linked :rofl

Sorry I missed this but with everything else going on with Max right now, poor Bandit is being neglected.

I don't think it is slimecoat for several reasons :

1) It's literally coming out of the filter.

2) Bandit looks fine except for the red under his tail. His scales are shiny as they are supposed to be.

3) It could be gel food as Sarah mentioned but even if I clean his filter every 2 days it keeps coming back, in massive amounts.

His nitrates never go above 5, 5 being if I miss a wc for some reason. They are usually barely there. On as positive note the ammonia hasn't come back. :)

As for the red under his tail I was wondering if maybe it was because he spends so much time on his back. Maybe that position puts a strain on the fleshy part of his tail and it is causing the redness. I don't know I'm just grasping at straws here. It's 3.40 am here (of course I can't sleep) and the more I look at him the less I understand what goes on with him. He has perfect water, the right food, right meds and he still has all these problems. The worms I can sort of understand but why the redness, the weird things in his filter? :idont

First of all I am truly sorry to have neglected little Bandit..even though you have had fantastic support and help from others I have missed him and helping you :heart. I have had a wisdom tooth pulled, stitches in my gum and then after that trauma the migraine from h22. I am finally able to think again.

That slimy stuff in the filter. This is most likely fairly harmless biofilm. Biofilm forms when bacteria form colonies, actually in kind of pipe shapes and then attach to surfaces in water and excrete a slimy, sticky substance to enable them to stay attached to any surface including glass and porous fibre and bio media. Biofilms are colonies of many species of bacteria, as well as fungi, algae, and aquatic waste products. They can appear anywhere where you have liquid PLUS bacteria. In fact they are in our mouths...that slimy taste occasionally when we need to brush our teeth.

The red spot I agree this sounds like exposure to air. A light smear of vaseline next time he flips may help.

The red poop well this is not really a welcome sign although it could be part of the worm infestation. Lets hope it is not bleeding from the GI tract caused by pressure from the cysts.

Not very much you can do except keep going with the AP food and get the ammonia out. Incidentally ammonia appears in all cycled tanks from time to time. I battle with it all the time. One of the biggest mistakes we can make is not test for it occasionally.

I would add MORE media...anything you have ...ceramic hoops and floss. Clean the floor and tank sides again if you havent done that in a while. An increase in bbs should help control the biofilm but you can also remove it..it is not dangerous usually as the bacteria are encased.

First of all I am truly sorry to have neglected little Bandit..even though you have had fantastic support and help from others I have missed him and helping you :heart. I have had a wisdom tooth pulled, stitches in my gum and then after that trauma the migraine from h22. I am finally able to think again.

Please don't apologize Imo. :heart I missed having you around but I can totally sympathize with what you've been through. I just hope you'll soon be feeling 100% better. :hug

And I can't accuse you of neglecting Bandit since I have too recently. :(

I thought I might give you a quick update on what's been happening.

For the biofilm I will be doing another wipe down of all surfaces and the filter again but it keeps coming back and it's only in the filter. Not on the glass or anything. But if it isn't dangerous I won't worry about it. :)

The red spot I agree this sounds like exposure to air. A light smear of vaseline next time he flips may help.

Actually I was more thinking some sort of pressure sore from the weight of the tail. Bandit isn't floating anymore he is flipped over but on the bottom. He can swim to the top but when he rests he is flipped at the bottom.

The red poop well this is not really a welcome sign although it could be part of the worm infestation. Lets hope it is not bleeding from the GI tract caused by pressure from the cysts.

I thought it might be something like that since I noticed he was weaker. :(

Right now what I'm seeing is a lot of empty poop casings with one or two small normal poops.

Also I'm finding some little whitish rings in the tank. They are a little thinker than hairlike and they form perfect rings. They seem to stick to the glass of the aquarium because they are hard to siphon out. :idont

I have the ammonia under control now, it showed up only once. With bandit I usually do test everyday and 80% wc's everyday. I think this happened because I was so busy with the dog being so sick, that I missed a wc or two. :unsure:

I also have to do maintenance on the filter every couple of days otherwise the biofilm just pours out from there into the tank.

So I will be adding more media tonight when I do his wc. Will it work if I put it in a stocking right in the tank because his filter is pretty much packed full? :rolleyes:

Just to add to my last post, here are some pics taken tonight during his wc.

In the first one you'll see some dark areas on one side of his body. Not sure what that is but I don't think it's good. :(

bandit17-06-10018-1.jpg

This one is of his other side more dark areas there too.

bandit17-06-10047-1.jpg

And this one is to show you how his rear end on that side is now squarish all the time.

bandit17-06-10027-1.jpg