Bandit Flipping Over

caitie

so the jungle food just flushes them out? or prevents interior infection? and you can't give him a dewormer? i know the one i use for my turtles is the same as they use in cattle - the dosing just depends on the body weight...

oh poor guy... so it could last his entire life then?

The Jungle will flush out the ones who hatch. The dewormer would be harsher and it still wouldn't work on the ones that are protected because they are embedded in his flesh. I hope one day we'll manage to get rid of them but even if we don't as long as he is still living a good life and not suffering I'm okay with that. He'll always be alone in his own tank tho because I wouldn't want to contaminate any of the others.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one more question Imo.

Right now nothing has changed about Bandit's tummy it is still very pointy and very swollen. But he has been expelling some jelly like substance today. He hasn't had a normal poop all day, but I'm finding these jelly like things on the bottom of the tank. :blink: They don't look like clear poop just like little round piles of jelly. :idont

I've been siphoning them out as soon as I see any but I'm curious to know what this is? And I'll feel very silly if you say poop. :blush:

well I dont think its all poop :D

Its probably larval forms in the intestines, and yes I would definitely take those out. It could even be strings of eggs protected in some kind of gross plasma. Anyway never fear -better OUT than in :):heart

well I dont think its all poop :D

Its probably larval forms in the intestines, and yes I would definitely take those out. It could even be strings of eggs protected in some kind of gross plasma. Anyway never fear -better OUT than in :):heart

Well that is a relief! :D Even if it is gross.

The only thing that has me worried is that he seems weaker now. When I left this morning I notice he was being pulled by the filter intake tube so I reduced the power on the filter. Now I just came in and I saw he had lodged himself behind his little clay pot. When he saw me he tried to swim to the front but he keeps getting pulled back by the filter. I don't want to stop the filter so I'll put a sponge around the intake tube. Hopefully that will make it easier for him.

I'll see how he does tomorrow morning, maybe this expelling of whatever is a little bit hard on him. :(

Oh Edith :(

It doesn't sound very good. Poor little thing must be so tired.

Is he still eating with gusto? The sponge around the filter intake was a very good idea.

Yes Imo he is still eating like a pig actually. That is the only thing I find encouraging. :) The sponge reduced the current enough for him to rest.

This morning he is mostly floating belly up and when he does swim it is mostly uncontrolled. But he has done that before and gotten better, so my plan is to give him a quiet and dark day and just to let him recuperate I will feed him a high protein meal today and see if that gives him some energy.

Oh and his little tummy is not pointy anymore, it is still very swollen but the pointy part has gone down. And he has stopped expelling the jellylike substance.

I'll give another update tonight.

Whatever happens I want to thank you again for all the great advice and the constant encouragement Imo. :heart :heart :heart

You are doing absolutely fantastically with him :exactly. I agree give him a rest he is exhausted.

The jelly stuff was expelled via his back end not via a pimple in the skin. This is a GOOD thing, it means his insides are still functioning well

enough to do this despite the load. The looming cyst went down...so it was all related -and -great thing- OUT. This has lightened the load again ...and so balance issues..as he recoops.

Okay. Hangin Bandit and his wonderful Momma ...be strong! Keep us in the loop :heart

Quick update again.

Bandit pretty much spent the day in the dark resting in his little clay pot belly up of course. :sleeping: He had a great big feast of boiled egg white. I think I just found his favorite meal. :P He then went back to resting and tonight I caught him swimming around normally and pecking at some algae on his back wall. This is something he hasn't done in a long time. :clapping: I think I'll let him have another quiet day tomorrow and more egg and then I'll get him back to his usual routine and see how he does.

Just a thought for when he's floaty, I'm not really sure how these work or if this would be possible but could you get a fry net thing with sucker cups and stick it upside down under the surface? He could swim out the bottom if he wanted when he's feeling better but it means if he's floats up he's caught by the net and wouldn't be baring his tummy to the air, and it would also stop him getting pushed around by the filter when he's having his little 'off' moments.

I really hope those jelly things are eggs and this means the end of this is in sight, or at least the worst is over.

Best of luck to you and Bandit!

Oh this is so great. He is such a soldier :D!!!! And I had such a pissy day at work I am so pleased to read this. Yay. Made my day end much nicer.

Looking forward to more good news :heart

Oh this is so great. He is such a soldier :D!!!! And I had such a pissy day at work I am so pleased to read this. Yay. Made my day end much nicer.

Looking forward to more good news :heart

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Mine too, these last two weeks I've been dealing with my dad having pneumonia and my mom getting sick too. This thing with Bandit was a little too much.

He's still not floating today and doing rather well. :heart

Edited by caitie

Thanks for the encouragement Federica and Sarah. :heart

Sarah I will get one of those little nets, that's a good idea. I didn't worry about it before because his little tummy wasn't sore but I hadn't thought about it giving him a place to rest. :)

Just thought I'd post a picture to show how swollen he is again today. This is his second day of his Jungle Ap. He isn't constipated at all. :rolleyes: These are just the worms, I was hoping with the jelly like stuff he expelled it would have relieved him a bit but he is right back as usual. This was taken while he was sleeping which is why it is so dark I used a flashlight, otherwise he moves around too much. :D

bandit23-05-10052.jpg

That poor sweetie, he's such a trouper. It seems that there ought to be some med that would kill the adult worms before they lay their eggs. Or make them sterile like I think some dog flea meds do. Gosh.

There has got to be something to get those encysted eggs...there just has to be.

Someone brought up a good point -- if the worms are killed as soon as they hatch, where do the eggs keep coming from? Who is laying them??

Let me first say I know next to nothing about worms in fish, etc.

I noticed the last time you found worms -- forgive me if I'm wrong, i didn't reread the whole thread, though I have read it all before -- but the last time you found worms I *think* was around the beginning of March. Maybe those worms laid eggs and those eggs (now towards the end of May) are hatching in his belly right now. Is he on any meds now? Maybe if you tried to medicate him around the time the eggs would be hatching (once every 2 months-3 months possibly?) you could time it right so you could kill the worms before they have a chance to lay more eggs (since they lay encysted and untouchable in his belly for those months.) Maybe you just need to get him on the right meds at the perfect time, and you could nip this thing -- it would just all be about timing.

Does this make sense to someone who knows more of what they are talking about? I'm thinking that all the meds that were given, etc., maybe as luck would have it, they just haven't been given at that "perfect" time, and maybe to solve this, we just need to figure out when that "perfect" time is (when the eggs have hatched, and before they are able to lay new ones.)

Just trying to help...Bandit has totally won me over, and I would like nothing more than to see him cured! :heart

Edited by Badfish

Edith, I'm just wondering, are you sure that Bandit still has a good quality of life with all this going on? I just feel so bad for the little guy, as I know you do too.

You are a great fish mom, keep the good work up! :)

Let me first say I know next to nothing about worms in fish, etc.

I noticed the last time you found worms -- forgive me if I'm wrong, i didn't reread the whole thread, though I have read it all before -- but the last time you found worms I *think* was around the beginning of March. Maybe those worms laid eggs and those eggs (now towards the end of May) are hatching in his belly right now. Is he on any meds now? Maybe if you tried to medicate him around the time the eggs would be hatching (once every 2 months-3 months possibly?) you could time it right so you could kill the worms before they have a chance to lay more eggs (since they lay encysted and untouchable in his belly for those months.) Maybe you just need to get him on the right meds at the perfect time, and you could nip this thing -- it would just all be about timing.

Does this make sense to someone who knows more of what they are talking about? I'm thinking that all the meds that were given, etc., maybe as luck would have it, they just haven't been given at that "perfect" time, and maybe to solve this, we just need to figure out when that "perfect" time is (when the eggs have hatched, and before they are able to lay new ones.)

Just trying to help...Bandit has totally won me over, and I would like nothing more than to see him cured! :heart

Thanks for your suggestions Constance. :)

Right now he is on the Jungle anti parasite food 3 days a week pretty much constantly. This way we hope to eliminate the worms that hatch before they lay more eggs. And he is now having prazi in the water because he had some eggs on his fins too. I think he might now be expelling some of the eggs because earlier he released some strange jellylike substance that Imo and I think are eggs in some sort of plasma. If that is the case then I think we are on the right track. But right now I think maybe some of the eggs inside him are swelling maybe so they will be expelled too. Hopefully something will happen soon. :heart

Edith, I'm just wondering, are you sure that Bandit still has a good quality of life with all this going on? I just feel so bad for the little guy, as I know you do too.

You are a great fish mom, keep the good work up! :)

I wondered about that too Sakura. I even bought clove oil for him, but Imo explained that if he is still active and eating it shows that he still has the will to live. The picture I posted is when he sleeps. But when he is awake he swims all over the tank and he responds to me very well. Only some days does he feel under the weather but even then he eats like a little pig and does his little wiggle dance for me. You know he even learned to beg for attention, he goes to the top of the water at the front and he does something with his mouth that makes a really loud clapping sound on the glass. He can do this for half an hour if I don't go to him. He stops as soon as I go and sit in front of the tank. That's when he does his little wiggly dance. :wub:

I soo hope that this is finally resolved, I know you are doing all you can times 100 to see that it is. I will be following this thread and pulling for Bandit until he is better! :heart

That is soooo encouraging about the plasma egg possibility....just so great to see the progress :)

Wishing you continued luck with him...if anyone can get through this, it's Bandit!! :heart:heart:heart

just a thought - how about water changes and water treatments? are you sure there is nothing left in your water that could be getting BACK into him? in the sense it would explain the eggs - the adult going in and out of him? just an idea....

have you tried contacting any fish vets? you could try universities - or Vets in Germany - they have many and most probably speak/write english well enough... (you can google 'Fisch Tierarzt' - on german google and you get the entire list.) If you need translation I can help ;)

fingers crossed for little Bandit

just a thought - how about water changes and water treatments? are you sure there is nothing left in your water that could be getting BACK into him? in the sense it would explain the eggs - the adult going in and out of him? just an idea....

have you tried contacting any fish vets? you could try universities - or Vets in Germany - they have many and most probably speak/write english well enough... (you can google 'Fisch Tierarzt' - on german google and you get the entire list.) If you need translation I can help ;)

fingers crossed for little Bandit

Thanks Federica. :heart

Bandit is getting 100 % wc with a thorough wiping down of all tank surfaces every day. :(

I mentioned his problem to my vet who owns fish too and once even operated on one of his. He actually came and saw Bandit (because he lives right near me). He agrees with Imo if we were to give Bandit water treatments they would be too harsh and might push him over. Had Bandit been bigger he might have suggested some other treatment but Bandit is just too tiny. He is stunned Bandit has made it this far and is still acting as if nothing is wrong.

So I guess we'll go on as we are and hope for the best.