Bandit Flipping Over

caitie

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proud Momma just had to show this quick video taken last night, he is still doing well today. :)

th_bandit17-06-10488.jpg

Wish I could explain what happened, but I'll take it since it's good news. :) He just suddenly got better again it's so weird. I actually hesitated to post the video because everytime I say wow he's doing so much better, it's like I jinx him. The next day something new happens. But this time so far so good, he's still swimming around normally and I haven't seen him flip once today. :bounce

Wow!! Bandit looks great! Been following Bandit's tribulations for ages and am so pleased to see him swimming upright in that video. Good luck!

Thank you so much for all of your support. It means a lot. :heart

Bandit still seems to be doing great even if he went back to sleeping belly up. :doh11: At least that's the only time he is flipped over, I can live with that. :D

Cute video of Bandit. He is doing great. He is such an awesome little hero with a fabulously devoted family :D

Thank you guys. :)

We are having a little set back today. Not a big deal I hope. :unsure:

We have been having very bad thunder storms all day and the electricity was off for most of the day. Yesterday he had a 100%wc with a total scrub down of all his tank surfaces so I wasn't too worried. I kept his filter media covered with tank water all day to try and keep the bacteria from dying in there.

The lights are back for now, but with the storm watch still on it might go out again tonight.

I was just in to check on him. The temp went from 76 - 81 without the fan. And of course he had some ammonia in the water but just a trace.

He has developed some little red spots on his body. One on his gill covering and one right under his chin. I'm sure it must be from the water quality so I'm doing another 100% wc and instead of just the 0.01% salt I had in for his pimple I'll put the salt up to 0.02%.

Apart from those two spots he is also a little more inactive but being in pitch darkness for most of the day is probably to blame for that.

Hopefully in a few days the spots will be gone. :)

• Supporter

Oh my goodness. Little Bandit was doing so well and after everything you two have been through, it's hard to have a thunder storm roll in and give you guys problems :( I sure do hope things right themselves soon and he keeps hanging in there. He's such a trooper and he's also very lucky to have you taking care of him! I'm sending positive thoughts your way!

Sorry to hear about the storm caitie. He is bound to be extra sensitive to any water issues at all - he needs all his strength for the other stuff going on so I expect the little red spots were an immediate reaction to ammonia. The salt can be at 0.2% which is 2 level teaspoons for each gallon of water in the tank....for a few days or so :)

Thanks for the encouragement Allie. :)

Sorry to hear about the storm caitie. He is bound to be extra sensitive to any water issues at all - he needs all his strength for the other stuff going on so I expect the little red spots were an immediate reaction to ammonia. The salt can be at 0.2% which is 2 level teaspoons for each gallon of water in the tank....for a few days or so :)

I'm glad to report that Bandit is still acting normally. His little red spots are fading so I will leave the salt at 0.2% for a few days as you suggested Imo. :)

I was afraid I would get a cycle bump but everything seems to be back to normal, I still check twice a day tho just in case.

I'm really happy because for the first time in months he doesn't have any lumps or swellings. And I can't see any of those little white nodules through his flesh. Do you think that means we have finally got rid of the worms, Imo?

The life cycle is very long. There could still be eggs in and around the tank or larval forms...but now is the key time to make sure that the tanks sides/bottom are wiped down daily and water changes continue (despite the cycle having stablized so well) to reduce that possibility.

But yes... to answer your question...I do think you have done an excellent job and it is a distinct possibility you have broken the cycle with your care...or..you are almost there at least.

The life cycle is very long. There could still be eggs in and around the tank or larval forms...but now is the key time to make sure that the tanks sides/bottom are wiped down daily and water changes continue (despite the cycle having stablized so well) to reduce that possibility.

But yes... to answer your question...I do think you have done an excellent job and it is a distinct possibility you have broken the cycle with your care...or..you are almost there at least.

:nana:bounce I'll be sure to continue the daily wiping and 100% wc's. Is there anything I can do to reduce the chances of any of the worms or eggs hiding in the filter? I'm rinsing his media in tank water every week and I also clean the plastic part of the filter and the intake tube every week, but would prazi help in this case or should I just continue as I am doing now?

Edited by caitie

well prazi wont touch nematodes unfortunately -only flukes and tapes..fenbendazole might work at this point but wont touch the eggs till they hatch (and does affect weak fish sometimes)..you know salt disables emerging forms and weakens them a lot. It is your decision.

well prazi wont touch nematodes unfortunately -only flukes and tapes..fenbendazole might work at this point but wont touch the eggs till they hatch (and does affect weak fish sometimes)..you know salt disables emerging forms and weakens them a lot. It is your decision.

:doh11: I always forget that the prazi won't help with the nematodes and the other med scares me so I guess I won't risk his getting worse now because he is still weak so I'll just continue with the manual cleaning and the salt. Thanks so much for your help Imo. :heart You know that you are my calming influence don't you? Everytime I panic you come along and remind patiently that Bandit just needs good clean water and lots of cleaning. :D He would never have made it so far without your good advice, and all the good wishes everyone has sent his way. :heart

Such a pleasure! You are always so attentive and patient and a pleasure to help.

Plus, Bandit is a kokos war hero...a legend. A celebrity :D:heart :heart

Such a pleasure! You are always so attentive and patient and a pleasure to help.

:rofl

• Supporter

:rofl

He really is!!! He's like the little engine that could but in fishie form :) Hooray Bandit!