Question About Test Results Mid Cycle

I think I'm about Day 25 and mid-cycle right now, and using an API test kit, I got 1.0ppm Nitrites last night. First time it's ever been that high, and Ammonia was .5ppm, with NitrAtes at about 10. I changed 10 gallons of the 45 this tank actually holds (it's supposed to be a 55) and gave it a dose of Amquel Pro.

Just tested the water again, about 12hrs later, and have 1.0ppm Nitrites, .25ppm Ammonia and 5+ NitrAtes.

I'm probably running about .1% salt now, down from the .3% I had it at, say, a week ago.

Questions:

-Is 1.0ppm Nitrites enough to worry about right now?

-Should I do a water change and if so, how much?

-If I do a PWC, will that hamper the tank becoming cycled?

-Should I not do a water change and just dose with Amquel Pro?

Edited by austinado16

I would do a water change any time my nitrites got to 0.5 or higher. I'm assuming there are fish in the tank? I would do a 50% water change at least.

I wouldn't worry so much about hampering the cycle as I would the nitrites harming your fish.

Good luck and hang in there! :)

PS Why are your dropping the salt in the tank? It would benefit the fish now with the nitrites on the rise . . .

Thanks for the quick response.

Was running the salt at .3% along with a Praziquental treatment, and 5 days of Maracyn Two prior to that because my big Comet had blood in his tail, a little white bump on his lower lip that sort of popped and became an area of sluffing skin, like a popped blister on your hand, and blood streaks in his tail, a couple of veins in the tail that were red, shaking his head back and for once in a while, and even flashing against the bottom occationally.

So all that's a distant memory now, and the salt has been slowly coming out with the water changes and the upgrade from a 25gal tank to this vintage 55 gallon Metaframe tank. (see my thread over in the tank section: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/81967-new-to-me-vintage-pemco-tank/)

I know the salt will help them with the higher nitrites, but wanted to see if I should do a PWC at 1.0ppm, or hold off and just dose with Amquel Pro.

Edited by austinado16

what is PWC?

using amquel in the tank does not replace needing to do water changes imo. I think it's better to always do a water change then rely on chemicals. amquel and prime are good dechlorinators as well as good for removing ammonia temporarily. my advice is to stick with the water changes while you are still cycling. water changes won't hurt the cycle really, the fish will still continue to produce waste so your bb's are still going to be fed.

Those water parameters look good. Keep your eye on them and keep on doing those water changes accordingly. You're getting there.

It seems like whenever I cycle a tank (fishless or with fish), the nitrites spike for what seems like forever then all of a sudden they are disappear.

Good luck.

Wound up doing another 50% change late last night because the Nitrites were up to .5ppm and I new they'd only be worse by morning.

Just tested and it's at .25A/.25N /5 or so NitrAtes. Looks like I'll be doing another PWC tonight.

8hrs later, same readings for ammonia and nitrites, but the nitrAtes have definately come up, as the color of that test vial is more toward the 10ppm color. This morning and yesterday, it was more in the 5ppm range.

I'm going to celebrate by buying some more fish!

Kidding. :P

I continue to ride the cycling curve. This morning I had less than .25ppm ammonia, but not quite that nice yellow color of zero.....and definately zero nitrites, but nitrates not showing more than 5ish.

I think I'm there.

This morning I showed just barely some ammonia color and the nitrites were also slighty showing. Not enough color in the test to indicate .25ppm for either. But the nitrAtes were nicely at 10ppm again.

Just tested again, and ammonia and nitrites were back to zero. Didn't test nitrAtes, but will again in the morning.

Thanks! I sure appreciate all the help and support you folks have given me! Hard to believe that just a month ago to the day, I had just come home from having an LFS test a water sample and amonia/nitrites/nitrates were off the scale of the dip strips. I've learned a lot, and still have a long way to go, but it feels good to have things under control.

Thanks!

Params were still good this morning. Ammonia just barely off the pale yellow, Nitrites zero and NitrAtes 10ish. I'll probably do a 25% water change this evening to help with the ammonia.

Held off on the water change and this morning had 20ppm of NitrAtes!! Ammonia was still slightly showing and Nitrites were zero. Celebrated by doing a 50% water change and a 50% vacuum.

So about 33 days total time, and the first 5 of that were spent on Maracyn Two. Not to bad I guess, considering that halfway through I upgraded from a 25G to this 55G vintage tank (but I used the same gravel, plants and fluval 405 filter).