Orange Pearlie

Hello this is my new pearlie:

4340499421_302c3633b8.jpg

I have to say I am not the most experienced with this type of goldie as he was a sudden, unplanned little addition. Anyway as you can see he is pretty much alllll orange except he has a line of black all around his lips and a bit on the tip of his tail (which I expect to grow more soon).

Anyway I was googling the breed and didn't see very many all orange pearlies. Do they ever turn white and orange from plain orange?

Thanks!

It's hard to predict color changes in goldfish. In my personal experience, my all-orange fish have remained orange. But I've seen other people's orange fish get some white. So it just all comes down to genetics.

What an adorable new pearlie! Congratulations. I'm a huge fan of the breed, but they can be challenging to keep. Make sure you have perfect water at all times.

Enjoy!

Oh my goodness. Your pearlie has black on the tips of it's fins and lips? I think it is seriously D.F.'s twin or something because she has a little black in those EXACT places. WEIRD!!

I have no idea about an answer to your question... I'm interested to know myself though!

Oh my goodness. Your pearlie has black on the tips of it's fins and lips? I think it is seriously D.F.'s twin or something because she has a little black in those EXACT places. WEIRD!!

I have no idea about an answer to your question... I'm interested to know myself though!

Yeah and his eyes are quite dark too! Evidently the black is a recessive gene though I think some fish can keep little bits of black. Shiny had loads of black on his when I got him and 5 months on he still has some on the tips of his fins!

What other advice can anyone give on how to keep him? I've had some advice on food already :)

Most pearlies I see are completely or mostly orange although a few have white patterns here and there and then completely white.:) My last tikus was completely orange.

My one boy is mainly orange with white markings while the other is mainly white with orange markings so you just never know how'll they'll turn out! I was always told the color of the goldfish's stomach is it's base(dominant) color with the other color's layering(recessive) on top but I DOUBT that's correct haha!

He has a long way to grow yet! Just looking at mine and how much bigger they are compared to five months, my LFS has another batch in that remind me of them so much when I first got them. They were tiddlers!

Any more info on keeping him happily? xxx

There was a thread I posted a couple weeks ago titled "Tips on Tikus?" I'd been having a horrendous time keeping my baby pearlies alive and was desperate for help. You can find that thread here.

In a nutshell, they need ultra-clean water at all times, slightly warmer temperatures than other fancy goldfish (I now keep mine at 79-80 degrees), and a whole lot of luck. biggrin.gif

There was a thread I posted a couple weeks ago titled "Tips on Tikus?" I'd been having a horrendous time keeping my baby pearlies alive and was desperate for help. You can find that thread here.

In a nutshell, they need ultra-clean water at all times, slightly warmer temperatures than other fancy goldfish (I now keep mine at 79-80 degrees), and a whole lot of luck. biggrin.gif

Ah yes I remember reading that a while ago when I was just starting my interests in pearlscales. Well his water isn't as warm as that but I don't really have a choice about that, but he IS in a tub (I think it's about 10gal) and I am only feeding him bloodworms and fruit/veg right now, no flakes, so not too bad a start, and fresh water ofc!