Swim Bladder

Miaowen

I have got a black moor approx 7 inches with quite bad swim bladder. I only feed frozen blood worms,daphnia, Hikari sinking wafers, brocolli and peas

She is fine if I fast her or feed veg but as soon as I feed her anything substantial she ends up floating on the top of the tank..................it is getting to the stage wher I deliberately feed her veg to see her active and swimming round tank but am scared that I am not feeding her enough protein

I know I will be questioned about water quality.....can I just say that she is in a 20 UK gallon tank with more than enough filtration, nitrates below 10. I do everything to maintain water quality that I learned from this site in 2005

There is only one thing that is perhaps cause for concern. I noticed a grey like appearance at base of top fin travelling up and across top of fin. I was not sure what it was and salted up to 0.3% then over period of time treated with Melafix and Wormplus with no effect whatsoever, the grey tinge is still there but Ruby is still swimming around as normal

Would welcome advice from anyone that could help

I am not a Mod so can not offer advise...But I think the Brocolli is a cause for gas, or so I was told,have you tried fasting for a few days followed by pea's(shelled)?Hang in ther till someone with more experience comes along :)Hope your Ruby feels better soon :)

I am not a Mod so can not offer advise...But I think the Brocolli is a cause for gas, or so I was told,have you tried fasting for a few days followed by pea's(shelled)?Hang in ther till someone with more experience comes along :)Hope your Ruby feels better soon :)

You don't need to be a mod to offer advice, there are plenty of non-mod members with plenty of knowledge and experience. As long as all advice is given with caution, no matter who the member is (me included) it can be helpful :) After all, nobody knows everything there is to know, so the more input the better!

Miaowen, I'm going to move this to the diagnosis section. Do you have a lot of substrate in the tank, that can sometimes cause a build up of 'nasties'. Also, have you considered feeding gel food?

would it be possible to post pictures of the grey markings? maybe it's just a color change?? I know that recent developments of black coloring are caused from ammonia burns, but if they are grey I'm not sure if it's from ammonia.

have you ever noticed the fish gulping for air at the surface? it is possible she has been filling up from gulping oxygen.

Thanks for all your replies, I did'nt know that about brocolli causing gas build up. I will stop feeding that and use other veg. I have done gel food in the past but it did'nt seem to make any difference, I thought it might have been because I was feeding too much and made portions smaller but this did'nt help. I have about 2 inches of gravel but hoover every time I do water changes. I've never seen her gulping air, and as for getting a pic of the grey like markings on her I have tried but it doesnt show in pic. I can only see it myself in certain light.

Would she be ok on mostly all veg for her diet?