Best Light Tempurature For Goldfish?

Wanted to get some advice on what the best fluorescent light tempurature is for Goldfish w/ live plants. Just finished rebuilding my light hoods and put back the original "Penn-Plax" brand "aquarium" 18" T-8 fluorescents. But while at the local big-pet-chain, they had about 4 or 5 different versions. They actually were nice enough to put them all into a light hood so I could see how they looked. The 2 that were 18,000k looked most like these Penn-Plax bulbs. Another light they tested for me was the Coralife 50/50. It seemed somewhat dimmer than the 2 different 18,000k's that they showed me.

So what's recommended?

Depends on your plants. Are you growing high light plants? Then you need high watts. If your growing low light plants you can use lower watts. My largest planted tank has 1.5 watts. One plants light with 16,000k and the other two are just plain cool white lights.

I would at least get one plant type light with full spectium and the other can be cool white or a second plant light.

I think I'll take one of my Penn-Plax bulbs over to the big-pet-chain and compare it to the 18,000k's and see what's strongest/brightest. I think one of the 18,000k's was rated at 35Lux and the other at 50.

• Admin

What kind of plants are you planning on... Thats where I would start the thinking... See like in my 50 gal tank i have Anubis and I only have 2 florescent lights, this is perfect for it cause it doenst need that much light.

But when I had Swords and other stuff, I would make sure I had 3-4 watts per gal. I also had a Coralife system and it was a 30 gal tank :)

Well, you know me. Mister, "start at the end and then go back to the front and do it again." Heck, I just grabbed a bunch of plants for the 25 and brought 'em home. Some stuff that looks like tall grass......sure. Some Anubias...you bet. Swords......I'll take some!

It's "Learn by doing" around here!

I'm going to print out the list of plants from that nice planted tank article someone here took the time to write. Then head over to the pet-box-store and compare the list to what they have (and what I've been buying). Heck, I may even learn something!!

Okay.....did the comparison. The Penn-Plax T-8 was more violet that the 18,000k 50lux at the pet-box-store. Of course they only had one, but I bought it. It appears to be "GLO" brand (maybe that's their in-house brand?) and it's called the "Power-Glo" in the purple box.

Inside the tank, compared to the Penn-Plax, things look a bit more natural as far as colors go, as well as a bit brighter. There's less of that "black light" type of enhances colors look.

$26 for the darn thing though!

• Admin

:) Edit button does work but its set to a 10 min edit.

Thats not bad of a price. i had bought a light along time ago that was for strictly plants and it costed me a Whopping $50 :yikes