Nutrafin Cycle

I was having difficulty getting my 55 gallon goldfish tank to completely cycle. After numerous water changes I was becoming a bit frustrated in seeing that my ammonia level would continuously spike from 0.5 to 1.0. After speaking with one of the more knowledgeable employees at my LFS, she recommended I try the Nutrafin Cycle. After adding the first day my ammonia level dropped to .05, second day to 0.2, third day to present is 0.0. After doing my weekly testing, ammonia is still holding at 0.0, nitrites 0.0, and nitrates are at 10 ppm. I'm very impressed with the speed it helped my aquarium cycle. It also recommends that a very small dose is added with regular weekly water changes to add and maintain beneficial bacteria. I've been testing the tank daily for over a week now and all parameters are in line with no spikes whatsoever. I recommend it!

-Dennis

I also really like nutrafin cycle. I've used it to cycle every single tank but and I add some if and when I add some new fish to a tank. But I don't use it on a regular basis once a tank is established. Although I use it in my betta's fish bowls every time I do a 100%wc. It really does help because I only have to change water once a week and the water quality in the bowls is always great. :)

Cycle works great for me to get the cycle going or after a cycle bump. I see no need in using it after ammonia and nitrites are zero. It makes the water cloudy and the good BB should take over then to do the job.

I think I'm going to keep checking routine water parameters on schedule and only add the Cycle if and when I do experience a cycle bump. And when adding new fish as recommended.

-Dennis

I got a small bottle with a 5 gallon tank I bought (not for goldies!) and never used it...I've always been a bit dubious about throwing things in my tanks. As it happened two tanks independently cycled in record speed and I don't think I would have really needed it anyway, but it's useful to know that if I do find myself with a new fish in a QT tank and I can't use main tank filter media for some reason then I do have something I can use. Though it has been sitting in the cupboard several months already, so it might not work.

It's definitely good to see some reviews though, at least I know it's not something nasty and maybe I should keep it when I finally get around to purging my cupboard full of fish rubbish.

Once I used it and it helped get the cycle going a little faster than usual, and another time I used it and it did absolutely nothing. Definitely depends on the bottle you get. I think it's a big gamble seeing how expensive the stuff is! :o

Here ya go! Right from the manufacturer:

-Dennis

* Ensures activity in any aquarium environment (pH, KH, etc.)

* Adapts to all aqaurium conditions (salt, fresh, soft, hard, brackish conditions)

* Improved nitrification: faster results; stronger bacterial action; instant activation

* Reduces fish loss

* Accelerates maturation of new aquariums

* Contains massive quantities of beneficial bacteria

* Rapid results, quickly reduces ammonia and nitrite levels

* Immediate activation, fully activated after 48 hours

* 100% natural, completely harmless, cannot be overdosed

* No refrigeration required

* Long shelf life

* Fresh & saltwater aquariums