Sign in to follow this  
kukana d

I Think I Need To Put Her To Sleep............

Hi guys,I've been away for a while and came back to a very sad situation :cry1 I have a fish named Scooter,who,after getting sucked up in the python some months back,has been unable to get up off the bottom of the tank.Just before I left,it was pointed out to me that 1 of her eyes is milky and she is blind in it-I figured from the python trauma,also. But she still happily 'scooted' over to get her food,and the the other 2 fish in w/ her seemed to keep her company,and albeit her life was not 'normal',she still had one :gfish: When I returned,the ammonia level in that tank was at 1 +,and she was/is breathing very hard and not eating.That was Monday night,and though the ammo is down to .25,she seems to me to be suffering still :cry1 I am SO sad,but I think the humane thing to do would be to treat her w/ Oil of Cloves,and put her out of her misery :cry I've never done this before,and it is very hard,and I am having a very hard time w/ it. I have set up the qt tank,w/ perfect h2o conditions,and am thinking about possibly just putting her in there for the night,and if she doesn't improve by morning,doing it then. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks guys.

I've never done that, so I have no suggestions. I have had to put other species of animals to sleep and it's never an easy decision. You just need to take some deep breaths and just take things one small moment at a time. Take care!!

I would get that ammonia back to 0 before doing anything else. Any fish would be suffering with ammonia in the water. Once it's gone you may see her get back to her old self.

If there is nothing else you can do I am behind you. It is the most loving thing to do so that they do not suffer. Just my opinion.

Thank you all,so very much :heart I will try the qt tank tonight,and hope for the best :heart I will let you know tomorrow :ill BTW,you guys are,hands down,THE BEST, :heart:heart:heart

I had a betta that was especially sensitive. He jumped out of the cup while I was changing the water for a couple minutes and was fine until his water reached the TINIEST TRACE of ammonia about 5 days later. He looked like a goner, laying on the botton on his side and hardly breathing. I got rid of the ammonia and he was better the next day :)

If you have Prime water conditioner, use that instead of a waterchange. It will detoxify the ammonia without further stressing your fish.

Thanks,everyone,but sadly,my little Scooter did not make it and is in gf Heaven now :cry1 I should have moved her sooner,but I was so busy dealing w/ all of the tank consequences of having been gone so long,despite 2 people caring for them :yikes Anyway,I know she's in a much better place than she was in,and is swimming free :heart RIP,my little Scooterxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Ugh, I'm in the middle of treating my fishy's dropsy and I know I've had the thought of putting him down, so I feel your pain (thinking about it makes me sick). :( But like one of the others here already pointed out it sounds like your decision was made for you. Rest in peace Scooter. :rip:

Edited by PetroBoy

Oh dear, that is such a shame. I am sorry you lost your Scooter.