Could Use Some Input

shaggy12

About five days ago I realized my fish had mated after researching why the water was cloudy on seperate occasions on the same day and later that day found some eggs. At that time I had 2 pearlscales and a black moor with 2 snails in a 5 gallon tank with a filter. They all seemed to be quite comfortable. I had been wanting to move them into a 10 gallon but had decided to wait as I am planning on moving in a few months. About a day after i realized what was going on I found one pearlscale (who I am convinced was the male do to the breeding stars) dead at the bottom of the tank. His body looked perfectly healthy and there were no noticeable health issues before this. Also the black moor started to look like a panda with a big white spot on the nose and the holes by the eyes that look like nostrels were also white. That seemed to pretty much disapper now with a hint of where it was still white. I had read that I should have removed the eggs but since I was not set up for breeding at all I decided it would be easier to move the pearlscale and moor to the bigger tank besides that the eggs are in the gravel somewhat deep and by trying to get them I think I would have caused more damage than good. I dropped the water level in the tank with eggs to about 6 inches. I also moved the filter into the big tank and put an air pump in the one with the eggs I also left the the snails in with the eggs. I can't really tell what is going on with the eggs as I can only see a handfull. I can tell some are clear some are not some seem to have white dots in them and a couple may have tiny black dots. It is about the 5th day since I noticed them breeding. Also the pearl scale has some things that look like bubbles below her vent... should I be concerned? I was also wondering how to determine the age of my fish? Any input and advice would be extremely helpful right now. Thank you very much.

Guest Kelsang

For two goldies, you would need atleast 20 gallons.

Better to upgrade then pay more overtime :)

I wouldn't breed any goldies till you get a tank big enough for the ones right now.

Bubble in poop is normal for female goldfish after breeding.

The eggs with the black dots are the one with fry I think/

First: Welcome to Koko's!

I'm really surprised your fish bred at all in a tank that small...the three of them should be in a 30 gallon tank minimum to prevent stunting and toxin-poisoning from the amount of waste they produce.

I'm sorry you lost one of your pearlies :( I suspect this was due to the eggs not being cleaned out immediately, spawning fouls up the water really really really fast and the ammonia levels just rocket, which is really bad for your fish as you've unfortunately found out.

Personally I would not recommend keeping any of the eggs at this stage, you need to focus on your current fish, who need 10 gallons space each before you start looking at raising fry. Goldies lay literally thousands of eggs and each one that's fertilised will grow into a fish potentially six inches long not including tail and will each need 10 gallons of their own. Fry can also be quite tricky to raise, any white eggs need to be removed immediately as they are not fertilised and will rot, the white you see is fungus, and the water quality has to be perfect - no gravel, no ammonia, no nitrites and very very very low nitrates. They need feeding 5-6 times a day and can be quite high maintenence.

It's really hard if not impossible to determine the age of fish without knowing exactly when they were born (surprise!) as their growth is not limited by time but by water conditions and tank size, some fish with excellent care reach 4 inches in 4 months, others will never reach 4 inches in 4 years because they are stunted by poor water and not enough space. Goldfish not only produce lots and lots of poop, but they also release a growth inhibiting hormone when stressed and if there's too much of this in the water they don't grow anymore, it can have serious longterm effects on their health and lifespan. The only way I know of to tell a fish's age is to look at bones in their ears, and you can only do that by cutting their heads off so it's probably better not to know...most people here just age their fish based on when they got them.

Do you have water test kits for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH? Knowing these numbers, as well as tank size and how often you do water changes as well as how much water you change and any symptoms can help us work out what is wrong with your fish. In this case I suspect it's poor water quality from all the eggs :( Change 50% of the water a day with temp-matched dechlorinated water and that will help your two remaining fish will recover, but the water might not be the only issue. If you can give us more information on your water conditions that would really help :)

I'd really recommend looking for a minimum 20 gallon tank for your two remaining fish, you can get some really good deals on Craig's List in the US, some people have gotten tanks for $20 or even for free! And you will need a big filter that does 10x the volume of your tank per hour, 200gph for a 20 gallon tank. Keeping goldfish properly is alas an expensive hobby as many of us have found...it can also be addictive and very rewarding :)

Sorry if this is too much of a bombardment of information (I could have waffled much more!!!) but I just wanted to get a few things out there. I kept two fish in a 5 gallon myself when I started, they were tiny and it didn't look cramped at all, then I came to Koko's....and someone told me all this information and more ;)

Thank you both very much. It's not the poop that is bubbled but it is actually on her body they almost look like eggs but they are bigger... The water quality should not be an issue now as they are both in the 10 gallon tank with new water. I transferred them yesterday. I have wanted a bigger tank but have not had the room for it. So I am afraid they will be stuck in the 10 gallon untill I move. I have noticed a difference since I put them in the bigger tank as they tend to do more middle swimming. I also use the recommended amount of aquarium salt they seem to thrive when I put that in. I will get a test kit wihin a couple days to monitor the water quality. When I move I will find a 20 gallon tank hopefully bigger and get them in that. I think the moor may have breeding spots I am not sure because everytime I try to get a goodlook at him he just tries to eat my face... What are the chances of the two of them mating? Also any thoughts on the best way to move them? The trip should not be more than a half hour tops. Thanks again and thanks for the welcome.

Guest Kelsang

Yep, female goldfish bellies get big when they are in breeding mode.

Make sure to put your old filter + gravel in with your tank so that your Goldfish will not be harmed by the cycle.

The new tank has to be established with good bacteria.

Well I would put them in a baggy with water in a Styrofoam box.

That's how some people ship their goldies.

And fast your goldfish a little so that poop wouldn't build up ammonia in the bag too :)

I ship mine in a 5 gallon tank with a big polythene bag in it. I line the tank with the bag, half fill it with water and add the fish, tie up the bag with as much air as possible and shut the tank. It's a bit heavy but at least then I know my fish will be upright and there's no risk of bag punctures or getting water all over the car!