Sign in to follow this  
uberleslie

Draining Tanks With Python Question

We just bought a house that's on a creek. The creek actually runs through our backyard and is fairly close to the house. At our old place, when I used to drain the tanks with the python, I would run the python outside (rather than attaching it to the faucet) because I felt like it gave me better gravel vac suction and wasted less tap water.

Now that there's a creek in my backyard, I'm just a bit apprehensive, because I'm not sure if dumping about 50ish gallons of fish water a week in my backyard will harm the creek somehow (plus I use Prime and Buff-it-Up). But I'm also in a bind because the tanks are downstairs and the faucet that I'm attaching the python to is upstairs...so I have super-crappy suction going uphill. The plan is to put a utility sink downstairs where I can hook up the python to, but that's a few months off budget-wise.

Am I just being completely paranoid? Is dumping the fish water in the backyard okay for a while?

(The creek is a tributary to the North Fork Peactree Creek in Atlanta, which is ends into the Chattahoochee River...so we're talking pretty big river system...and my piddly 50 gallons probably doesn't mean much to it, in theory at least.)

There is probably enough junk being dumped into the river that your fish water won't make a difference. However, I'm not sure that the EPA will agree.

How close is the creek to where you will be dumping the water?

I can't see how putting fish water in a creek with fish would hurt as long as your fish are not sick.

:bingo:

As long as your not treating your tank with like say Prazi it wont hurt the creek at all hun... i wouldnt worry :)

I would definitely try and check with a local official in your area, since I don't think anyone on here will know the answer to that with any certainty. We are just goldfish lovers, most of us aren't creek ecology experts. ;) The only thing that concerns me is that you use buff-it-up. But again, I would check with someone more knowledgeable.

Maybe if it runs into the earth first it will be ok or it could evaporate from an outdoor container? No bathroom sink nearby?

Aquarium plants have taken over our local lakes it is really bad and costs a lot to fix. A plant called hydrilla which grows really really fast and the other is milfoil. People get caught in it and drown! No lie it grows in large tangly masses.

Edited by Texana

So why not just water your lawn or plants or garden or whatever with it? I certainly wouldn't call a local agency and waste any time hearing them freak out over your plan.

I certainly wouldn't call a local agency and waste any time hearing them freak out over your plan.

A good local agency would be HAPPY to answer any concerns like that. After all, part of the reason they exist is to educate the public about things like this. For someone to call in with this question tells them that the public actually cares about these things. Wouldn't be a waste of their time at all, especially if it turns out to be bad for the creek.

Edited by Sakura

My point was; All they're going to hear is "Hi.....can I ........dump.......in the creek?" And of course the answer is no. Because how can they be sure what's really going to be dumped. On minute it's fish water, the next minute it's the laundry water, shower water, and dishwasher water.

That's why I suggested...or I guess asked......why not pour it out onto your plants.

My take on it is as long as there isn't disease in your tank and you're not medicating, it should be ok. But I wouldn't dump it directly into the creek but onto the ground instead.

My parents used to own a cottage on a lake with a very primitive septic system. They installed a washing machine so they could do laundry, but when the maching drained the septic tank couldn't handle so much water all at once. So my dad dug a very deep hole (I forget the dimensions) and filled it up with rocks. The washing machine drained into that. He called it his "grey water" tank.

When I was a kid, we had the same type of pit for our washer to drain into so as not to overload the septic system.

We can only WISH your little 50 gallons of fishie water was the WORST thing ending dumped into the Chattahoochee!!!

I run my Python out the door & into the yard while cleaning the tank. I would think the ground would take up most of whatever you are pulling from your tank! Go for it!

I think the Python is one of the BEST pieces of equipment for aquariums, but when hooked up to the faucet while removing water I feel like I am wasting a TON of water. I feel much better running it out into the ground!!