Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Spicoli

Anybody Running A Fluval U Series Filter?

I've not used the Fluval, but I have used several internal filters, and currently have two powerheads with sponge filters on them. The Fluval internal filters seem quick and easy to use, but bulky. There are other internal filters that are smaller and hold more filter media. The Fluval has thee good features: the media cartridges are easy to remove, you can choose between three outflows, and it's attractive (despite its relative bulk). Unless you need all of these features, I would look at a different model or manufacturer.

Just my informal review (opinion) :) Hopefully somebody here has actually used one and can tell us about it.

I've not used the Fluval, but I have used several internal filters, and currently have two powerheads with sponge filters on them. The Fluval internal filters seem quick and easy to use, but bulky. There are other internal filters that are smaller and hold more filter media. The Fluval has thee good features: the media cartridges are easy to remove, you can choose between three outflows, and it's attractive (despite its relative bulk). Unless you need all of these features, I would look at a different model or manufacturer.

Just my informal review (opinion) :) Hopefully somebody here has actually used one and can tell us about it.

Ahhh, I need to learn more about powerheads. I have a huge problem with the lid of my tank, I can only fit very small tubes and cords through the lid. I wanted to take a hole saw to it, but can't because anywhere I drill I would be drilling into a functioning component. DeezRanchu told me to use a sponge filter, so I am going to get one of those, but I may need more filtration, trying to get to 1000 GPH. Thanks for the info. :)

I've become fond of using powerheads attached to sponges. It is inexpensive and effective, and might work if you can find a good suction-cup mount.

Have you considered a canister filter? You may be able to fit the intake and return pipes through your lid, but it may be difficult/expensive to obtain high flow rates.

Im fond of the sponge filters too. I have two hang on filter and a sponge running with an air pump, but I just might get a power head to run it... :)

I've become fond of using powerheads attached to sponges. It is inexpensive and effective, and might work if you can find a good suction-cup mount.

Have you considered a canister filter? You may be able to fit the intake and return pipes through your lid, but it may be difficult/expensive to obtain high flow rates.

I wanted to get a canister initially, but found that there is no place to put pipes or tubing. The front of the lid has a light, the middle is another light, and the back is a filter gutter. I don't think that I have a choice other than to run underwater filtration.

DSC01584.jpg

DSC01583.jpg

Im fond of the sponge filters too. I have two hang on filter and a sponge running with an air pump, but I just might get a power head to run it... :)

Do the fish chew on the filter media? I have seen a few sponge filters that didn't have a cage around the sponge.

I have this one :) they pick at it from time to time but goldfish dont have teeth in the front, there teeth are in there throats so they cant shred it hun :)

http://www.aquariumguys.com/hydro-iii-sponge-filter.html

OOhhh, stackable! I likey, like the pricetag too! Good to know about the teeth thing, I know when mine get broccoli or krill they have a yanking technique, makes me laugh when they do that. :)

Yeah its like they gum everything :rofl