Sign in to follow this  
devadair

Urn Pond?

So my four goldfish have been slowly outgrowing their tank and I've thought about getting a bigger one. I drool over the thought of an outdoor pond but I can't afford it right now. So I was thinking, has anyone ever tried using a large clay urn? I was thinking if it held a good 60 gallons I could use it as a Goldfish pond and maybe put some plants etc in...

hmm..

There was one member who used a clay urn before to house his bubble eyes in there. I don't see how it would not work.

Sounds silly but if you're making an outdoor pond people will pretty much use what they get their hands on... our neighbours used a big old kitchen sink... :P

I was thinking it might look pretty if it were a nice urn with a wide top opening...I can't compare that to a kitchen sink rofl.

Gaw, reminds me of the time I drove by someones trailer out in the sticks and they had some sort of fish in a FULL ON TOILET...in the front yard. Why didn't I get a picture, gah.

I think you might need to seal it right? You can get a big stock tank for about 65$ I got mine outside of town at a feed store.

I tried to set mine up on our back porch but it was too hot.

I think you might need to seal it right? You can get a big stock tank for about 65$ I got mine outside of town at a feed store.

I tried to set mine up on our back porch but it was too hot.

What's a "stock tank"?

Yeah I was concerned about the sealing that might need to be done or any other precautions since imo it might have problems later on down the road from being willed with water 24/7 seasonally being thrashed, lol.

People have put ponds in all kinds of containers, from wooden half barrels to plastic plant pots. You can seal your container, or line it with a pond liner. Check out the pond and pond photo forums for more ideas, but here is a good link to pictures of a stock tank pond.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/59517-new-300-gal-stock-tank-set-up-and-running/

On my in-ground pond, I have a large urn as fountain and filter. You can see a small photo of it in my signature.

My brother used a large clay urn to keep some comets. He had it set up on his terrace for the summer. His fish were absolutely gorgeous and they grew like crazy in there. You can set it up so it looks really nice. :) Wish I had a terrace to set one up for the summer.

"stock tanks" are tanks used for watering livestock. The plastic ones are incredibly durable (inch or two thick) and come in various large sizes. Many have a drain in the bottom that is perfect for connection to a filter or for water changes... thus they make great fish ponds.

Some Koko's members have small clay/terra cotta pots inside their tanks. I know there is some concern about chemical contaminants leaching into the water, but I don't know much about the subject. Some clays are apparently safe.

Edited by A Penguin