Good Foods for Goldfish

Guest Cuckoo for Calicos

Goldfish can tear through soft and leafy fruits and veggies just fine, Elaine.

Please don't use flakes of any sort! Just stick to pellets to minimize floaty issues. I use Hikari Lionhead. It's a sinking pellet type. Much better than its similar counterpart, Oranda Gold which floats.

I also feed my goldfish egg whites.exactly.gif Just be sure to do water changes afterwards. They're so loaded with nutrients that when I don't do water changes, my algae bloom quickly.blink.gif

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goldfish can tear through soft and leafy fruits and veggies just fine, Elaine.

Please don't use flakes of any sort! Just stick to pellets to minimize floaty issues. I use Hikari Lionhead. It's a sinking pellet type. Much better than its similar counterpart, Oranda Gold which floats.

I also feed my goldfish egg whites.exactly.gif Just be sure to do water changes afterwards. They're so loaded with nutrients that when I don't do water changes, my algae bloom quickly.blink.gif

Lupin your always here, and always have an answer....as I always have a ton of questions.....and now I have another one....if I go to the fish store tomorrow, and I happen to see another oranda ...( as they just got some chocolates in) I have a 35g tank is 3 orandas too many for my tank??

Wow how do you feed egg whites to so many fry Lupin? When I tried I was sucking up the fry with the uneaten egg ..it was incredibly messy.

Oh, the egg whites were for adults, hun. I knew the egg whites are too hard for the fry even if I make that mushy. No, I can't even make that as mushy as egg yolks. I just use egg yolk for my fry instead. They're cooperative so far. I just shove them aside slowly distracting them with the water lettuce where they can hide away (although several are far too stubborn to remain in their area) when I siphon the water out. A few already doubled in size. I have been too cautious so far and...fingers crossed I won't put on my record I siphoned even a single fry. Karma will give me sleepless nights.

The egg whites are chopped to pieces. Tried large ones and my goldfish had trouble chewing them properly so I made an effort to chop the whites to pieces.

oh I see :). I also found egg yellows very messy for my fry though, they disintegrated so fast and the water got so cloudy with them. I know they are very nutritious though if you can manage it.

Quick question - About how long would an 8 oz package of ro Gold last if I have a bunch of smaller fish? Like less than 4 inch? I know it's hard to pinpoint, but on average, how long might I expect it to last?

• 2 years later...

How do you "train" them to eat some spinach and other leafy foods? Would I make them fast until they try the foods?

If they spit the foods they do take in do they not like it?

How do you "train" them to eat some spinach and other leafy foods? Would I make them fast until they try the foods?

Welcome to the forum! :) Just a heads up, try not to pull up threads that are really old, if you find something interesting or have a question feel free to start a new thread about it :)

But, to answer your question, some things you can do are:

- make sure you soften the veggies by boiling/microwaving them for at least 30 sec

- use a veggie clip or you can try breaking up the veggies into small pieces and feeding them that way

- leave veggies in the tank for 24-48 hrs and feed nothing else

- rub some garlic/garlic juice on the veggies prior to feeding

- feed something really enticing on the veggie clip, such as a small piece of orange so that the fish begin to associate the clip with food

- try different veggies - spinach, cucumber, green beans, kale, romaine, peas etc.

If your fish is spitting out the veggies it's possible they are not cooked enough or they took too large of a bite. If your fish is spitting out food in general (pellets as well) this could be a possible health related issue and you should post in the diagnosis forum (if it's only with veggies I wouldn;t worry)

Welcome to the forum! :) Just a heads up, try not to pull up threads that are really old, if you find something interesting or have a question feel free to start a new thread about it :)

- make sure you soften the veggies by boiling/microwaving them for at least 30 sec

- use a veggie clip or you can try breaking up the veggies into small pieces and feeding them that way

- feed something really enticing on the veggie clip, such as a small piece of orange so that the fish begin to associate the clip with food

- try different veggies - spinach, cucumber, green beans, kale, romaine, peas etc.

If your fish is spitting out the veggies it's possible they are not cooked enough or they took too large of a bite. If your fish is spitting out food in general (pellets as well) this could be a possible health related issue and you should post in the diagnosis forum (if it's only with veggies I wouldn;t worry)

Thank you for responding! I'll remember that about posting in a forum! I feel like a mom (I'm called the fish mom at work actually) telling my kids "YOU HAVE TO EAT YOUR SPINACH!!!"

Thanks again!

Thank you for responding! I'll remember that about posting in a forum! I feel like a mom (I'm called the fish mom at work actually) telling my kids "YOU HAVE TO EAT YOUR SPINACH!!!"

Thanks again!

lol no problem ;) once they figure out that spinach is food they will be all over it, it just takes some fish awhile, don't give up :)

We have a section for new member introductions if you want to introduce yourself to everyone :)http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/forum/28-welcome-new-members/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

What kind of pellets are good to feed gf. I know pro gold is good but my lfs didnt have them...al they had was wardley,tetra fin(which iam using) and some other kind(cant remember the name)....

can lettuce, cucmbers and oranges hurt gf in any way?

also i had asked this before but the post got deleted wut kind of peas should i buy from the store

thanks,

I haven't fed mine any oranges yet but they love both cucumbers (though they refuse to eat the skin) and lettuce. I think the general rule is that vegies and fruits should be treats rather than the bulk of their diet. For that, I use a combination of fish meal-based flakes and algae-based granules. Hope this helps :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

What kind of pellets are good to feed gf. I know pro gold is good but my lfs didnt have them...al they had was wardley,tetra fin(which iam using) and some other kind(cant remember the name)....

also i had asked this before but the post got deleted wut kind of peas should i buy from the store

thanks,

I haven't fed mine any oranges yet but they love both cucumbers (though they refuse to eat the skin) and lettuce. I think the general rule is that vegies and fruits should be treats rather than the bulk of their diet. For that, I use a combination of fish meal-based flakes and algae-based granules. Hope this helps :)

This thread is really old... Please if its more than 6 months old and not pinned dont respond to it as most of the time the OP isnt here anymore...you replied to someone in 2003 who isnt around...

not yelling just saying please dont it confuses ppl.

koko

thanks,

This thread is really old... Please if its more than 6 months old and not pinned dont respond to it as most of the time the OP isnt here anymore...you replied to someone in 2003 who isnt around...

koko

Sorry, my bad

• Admin

thanks,

koko

Sorry, my bad

:thumbs:

Archived