Good Foods for Goldfish

Guest Cuckoo for Calicos

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Admin

there a good treat, but doing some research found out there mostly water with little nutrition to them, thats why I like night crawlers or earthworms much more nutrition to them. :D

• 5 weeks later...

OMG!! I just put some cut up orange in both my Oranda tanks...they loooove it! Chubby is kissing his piece while Booger looks like he's fighting with his...any suggestions on the best way to serve fruits and veggies? Should the fresh food stay in the tank or be removed at some point?

• Admin
OMG!! I just put some cut up orange in both my Oranda tanks...they loooove it! Chubby is kissing his piece while Booger looks like he's fighting with his...any suggestions on the best way to serve fruits and veggies? Should the fresh food stay in the tank or be removed at some point?

when i feed oranges and stuff like that, i will only leave it in the tank for about 2 hours at the most, then a water change :D keep the tank water clean :D

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I feed "spring mix" lettuce on the veggie clip! They love it!

Right now I'm working on an experiment. I'll let ya know how it works!

• 2 months later...

I cant seem to edit my post, sorry for the double post. I see that lots of goldie food is made from fish from the ocean, forgive my advice. I do know the bigger the fish the more heavy metals can be present, that is why I am confused as to why it would be safe to feed them tuna? Perhaps the mercury doesn't affect the goldies like it does us humans?

You're right, some fish contain more mercury than others, but I'd just avoid canned/packaged fish like tuna. Stick with frozen/fresh stuff (I get some fresh salmon from my deli and boil it). Don't forget to feed goldfish peas regularily beacsue it acts as a good digestive system regulator.

• 4 weeks later...

One of my oranda pipi always like to sit at bottom (last nite also) and doesnt like to swim.. i tot pipi is sleeping or resting.. then I realized that pipi might have swim bladder disorder after reading the forum on this website today.. thanks to all the people out there for their advice.

So, I am gonna giving pipi a fast for 2-3days.. After that, I will feed it with peas... But how? Do i need to defroze it right after I take out from fridge and cook it? Or just throw it into the tank.. :unsure:

What is the correct way feed the green pea? and how many should I feed it.

Anyone, please advise....

Alrite...

I didnt feed them today (1st day of fasting)... so sad to see them swim forward to "ask for food" whenever i walk near them.. Their faces are so sad.. haaha... I have to control my feelings for their own good...

Will feed them peas after 3 days of fasting... Thanks Chrissy_bee...

Poor popo have to accompany pipi on the fasting.. :( .

Ah! Some of these are old, but what the heck! I wanted to respond anyway!

LIME!?

Lime and oranges are probably the two best citrus to feed. Lemons and grapefruit are going to be too acidic. Other good fruits are strawberries, peaches, apricots, peeled grapes, bananas, kiwi, papaya, guava.

wen i feed my fish lettuce it takes him awhile to come up to the surface and eat it does this mean he dosen like it...also wen i feed the lettuce i taeit straight from the fridge rinse it then feed it to him is this the rite way?

No iceberg lettuce. The rule is, the darker green the vegetable, the better it is. Romaine lettuce is better. However, other dark green leafy veggies that are absolutely excellent, and which most of us wouldn't think about, in addition to spinach and dandelion greens, which have already been mentioned are arugula, chicory, mustard greens, swiss chard, kale and collard greens. Excellent!

Oh and one word or Advice, Do a water change the next day. Sometimes the orange will make a mess of things, but one good thing your tank will smell nice :rofl

lol! Broccoli too! Pretty much, when you feed any kind of "chunky" food that the fish have to tear apart, check the water the next day as you most likely will need to do a water change, or at least fish out all the floaties with a net because there will be a bunch of floating food.

Can gf eat corn.

No, no, no. No corn. Fish cannot digest corn. Heck! People can't digest corn..... anybody take a look the next day, if you know what I mean? It's all still whole! Don't feed corn to fish.

Also can a gf eat cook beans(pinto ect...).

I probably wouldn't because of the possibilities of gas. We don't need to encourage something that is already a threat, however, cooked soybeans are very good. Choose fresh soybeans and cook them yourself as opposed to edamame, which has had salt and/or seasonings added.

spinach, cucumber, parsley, dandelion leaves, carrots(steamed)

Does anything special need to be done to dandelion leaves before I feed them to my fish?

Wash all foods very, very well. Even if they came from your yard. There are the threats of pesticides and parasites and bacterias from animal poop and the soil and not only ON the dandelion, but IN the dandelion from taking these things inside the plant during the growing process. In fact, because of this, I would suggest a quick steam/blanch to, hopefully, kill these things.

Can a goldfish eat apple? No skins obviously. What about pears? Potato?

Thanks.

You can feed apple if it's been steamed soft. Pears are already soft if they're ripe, so you may not have to steam them, but yes, you can feed them as well. I would not feed regular potatoes. Too much unnutritional carbohydrates. You can, however, feed steamed sweet potatoes. And steamed pumpkin! Also as already mentioned, steamed carrots are great. And steamed cucumber and zucchini.

May i ask what type of lettece is good? I have some rocket leaves in the fridge, would they be okay? What about basil leaves?

Im going to the store soon so i will pick up some other foods, maybe an orange :) hehe

Hey what about lemon? :)

See above response. Someone just recently fed basil leaves with great results! Again, as already mentioned, parsley is also great!

ive been seeing people post plankton as a food for goldies, is that the same thing as the marine seaweed that comes in sheets or something else?

Plankton are microscopic animals that are free-floating in the oceans, so no, plankton is not the same as seaweed, which is a plant. But, both are good for goldies, however, don't feed the "sushi" seaweed as it's been salted. Choose seaweed that has been specially prepared for freshwater aquarium fish. Other aquatic microorganisms/small foods that are good are krill, mysis or brine shrimp, tubifex worms (which are not bad when grown, cleaned and processed by a reputable manufacturer), mosquito larvae, mealworms, bloodworms, daphnia, cyclops and spirulina.

Fly maggots! They work well as fish bait so thought might as well try feeding my goldfish some, and they loved it!

NO! No adult flies and no fly maggots. I think we all know how flies live and die; that is, by feeding off the dying and rotting flesh of animals. Flies and maggots are chock-full of about every bad bacteria, virus and parasite you can think of.

if they like peas would they like small sweet corn?

Again, no corn for fish.

frozen bloodworms, cocktail shrimp, homemade food, seafood flakes, Hikari lionhead pellets. I just figured they get more nutrients in a day then I get in a week!

Speaking of (human) nutrients, would it be OK to feed the GF wheat germ? As you know, one can buy small boxes of it at the supermarket. I've noticed wheat germ is among the top components of some of the commercial brands of GF food. Although I've made a quick search,I can't find it being recommended here.

Oliver

Wheat germ is a basic winter staple of outdoor goldfish. But, that's because of the drop in temperature. So, if they're inside fish and/or aren't exposed to a significant temperature drop, you would, at best, only want to feed very occassionally.

I've heard of feedeing them orange and lemon, but what do do to all the food to feed them? eg brocolli? Cut it up and jst drop it in? Frozen or cooked?
Would goldfish eat bread? And small pieces of sweetcor? Like carp, because apparently they came from the carp

So just frozen lettuce, does it have to be attached to a clip? And has anyone tryed feeding them peppers? Just an idea?

No breads, no crackers. There are no nutrition in these things. Again, no corn. And again, no iceberg or other light colored lettuces or leafy greens. Bell peppers are excellent! And garlic for immunity!

personally I wont give my goldfish "bloodworms" since they are mostly water, the better worm is the night crawler or earth worm, most LFS will order it for you. I buy a pound of them at a time for my goldfish since my 2 females are 7-8" long and can eat 5 worms at one bite. Plus these worms will help with the darker colors in the fish :D

Koko, are you talking about just plain old night crawlers that you can buy at a bait shop??? How do you prepare the worms? Do you have to wash them off, or what do you do?

Unless you get earthworms from a trusted source, a really excellent "cleaning process" is to put your earthworms in a container for two or three days, with a touch of moisture, but no foods or soil. This will allow them to expel any bad elements that they have eaten.

Is celery OK to feed??!

I wouldn't. Celery has virtually no nutrition, not even for humans.

I've quit feeding pellets and flakes entirely. I just feel much better about feeding the frozen prepared foods and then my own fresh fruits and veggies and homemade gel foods from all natural ingredients.

TetraFin goldfish flakes, Omegaone freeze dried brine shrimps. Today i gave them goldfish crumbles from Wardley, seems to me they like it. Once or twice a week boiled (5-10 min.) cabbage.

• 1 month later...

I feed mine Pro Gold and Salad Supreme, they absolutely LOVE it! I feel bad feeding them the salad supreme because they are to small to eat it immediately and they LOVE it and go nuts and will move it around the tank until it's soft enough to take small bites.

Guest pipsxlch

How about the new TetraFin sinking ministicks? They're the only sinking food I've been able to find locally- no Hikari goldfish stuff around here! I'm trying to break Snotface of surface sucking, and she does seem to like them. I do feed fresh and frozen veggies/veggie based also.

• 4 months later...

Snotface?!!! Poor child.... lol!

I haven't used the sinking ministicks, but definitely not feeding any floating foods is a must.

Red grapes or green grapes are both great, but yes, you do need to peel them first.

• 3 weeks later...

I was tempted to get the Tetrafin sinking sticks - but I went for the Nutrafin Max sinking pellets instead. Maybe I'll get the sticks next time I go :P

They're getting bloodworms for the first time today, hope they like them! :D

• 1 month later...

my black moor tubby seems to love seedless red grapes (after i peel them and cut them into mini bite size pieces) he also loves to munch on frozen blood worms. What other fruit can I give to my black moor? Is it safe to give him cucumber? If so, how do i prepare it for him?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I was really excited to see that my goldies will eat other food other than flaked foods, I've been sitting here going through the posts and writing out a grocery list for my babies, so far my goldies love peas.....so I can't wait to try other types. I've notices Strawberries and Oranges, and cucumber and lettuce leaves, in regards to some fruits and veggies I understand the cooking/par boiling these first to make sure they are soft enough. But do you chopp these up really fine or just small pieces and the fish will pull or bite of pieces, I wouldn't want them to choke on anything....

I have made a list of the Pro gold, brine shrimp, freeze dried blood worms and Hikari flakes, and Formula one-two as ideas when I hit the store tomorrow....can anyone offer any other ideas or do I have it covered,...

Archived