Good Foods for Goldfish

Guest Cuckoo for Calicos

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ill karen Ill

great thread!

some foods i've tried are: shelled peas, oranges (just put a slice on a food clip), boiled baby bok choy (just the very top green part), and frozen/boiled corn (i just take the kernal and squeeze out the pulp into the tank).

• 3 weeks later...
frozen bloodworms, cocktail shrimp, homemade food, seafood flakes, Hikari lionhead pellets. I just figured they get more nutrients in a day then I get in a week!

Speaking of (human) nutrients, would it be OK to feed the GF wheat germ? As you know, one can buy small boxes of it at the supermarket. I've noticed wheat germ is among the top components of some of the commercial brands of GF food. Although I've made a quick search,I can't find it being recommended here.

Oliver

The food list goes on and on- They love cantaloupe, byrds eye natural no salt seweet corn, baked potato, and ripe bannana. Instead of the wheat germ - which does not have a lot oif fatty acids that fish use - get flaxseed - as a ground meal- It is high in fatty acids like omega3 - and seems to have some cancer/tumor inhibition properties - as well as keeps them regular.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Admin
I've heard of feedeing them orange and lemon, but what do do to all the food to feed them? eg brocolli? Cut it up and jst drop it in? Frozen or cooked?
mix it in with your gel food mix.
Would goldfish eat bread? And small pieces of sweetcor? Like carp, because apparently they came from the carpSo just frozen lettuce, does it have to be attached to a clip? And has anyone tryed feeding them peppers? Just an idea?
Lettuce should be Romina this one has more good stuff to it, place slits in the leaf, then place it on the clip and place into tank.Peppers if your talking bellpeppers then yep, some of us will mix it into the gel food we make.
Wow I never realised that goldies could eat so many different foods lol.
Oh yeah they eat alot and night crawlers help keep the black or dark colored fish longer in the tank, since the worms get the Vit D with helps with color :D

I've heard of feedeing them orange and lemon, but what do do to all the food to feed them? eg brocolli? Cut it up and jst drop it in? Frozen or cooked?
mix it in with your gel food mix.
Would goldfish eat bread? And small pieces of sweetcor? Like carp, because apparently they came from the carpSo just frozen lettuce, does it have to be attached to a clip? And has anyone tryed feeding them peppers? Just an idea?
Lettuce should be Romina this one has more good stuff to it, place slits in the leaf, then place it on the clip and place into tank.Peppers if your talking bellpeppers then yep, some of us will mix it into the gel food we make.
Wow I never realised that goldies could eat so many different foods lol.
Oh yeah they eat alot and night crawlers help keep the black or dark colored fish longer in the tank, since the worms get the Vit D with helps with color :D

Is there anything that I should avoid giving to my goldie. Im new to the ''keeping goldies'' world lol. Also is there anything in paticular that I can feed my baby oranda to help his growth??

• Admin

Progold is good for them, if you live in the USA you can get it from goldfishconnection. Blood worms are really nutrition, so avoid them.

If you give your goldfish Oranges I would highly suggest a water change, since they can make a mess in the tank.

How big is your baby?

Progold is good for them, if you live in the USA you can get it from goldfishconnection. Blood worms are really nutrition, so avoid them.

If you give your goldfish Oranges I would highly suggest a water change, since they can make a mess in the tank.

How big is your baby?

Im actually not sure of his size but ive got a pic of him if that will help

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee183/mr2ed/lister1.jpg

I didnt even realise that you could give fish fruit, this site is ace :D ! Ive read on here about the preparation of oranges, i just dont know what the 'Pith' is?? Well I do a water change at weekends so I could give it him then :D

Things I find to be good:

Mazuri gel (no corn, no wheat) foods

Frozen bloodworms

Oranges

Pearl barley

Garlic

Unsalted peas

Mustard greens

Collard greens

Sweet potato

Silkworm pupae

Brown rice

I personally won't feed

Spinach (has lots of good stuff, but also oxalic acid that inhibits calcium uptake)

Tubifex worms (which are an intermediate host for a potentially fatal protozoan)

• Admin

personally I wont give my goldfish "bloodworms" since they are mostly water, the better worm is the night crawler or earth worm, most LFS will order it for you. I buy a pound of them at a time for my goldfish since my 2 females are 7-8" long and can eat 5 worms at one bite. Plus these worms will help with the darker colors in the fish :D

personally I wont give my goldfish "bloodworms" since they are mostly water, the better worm is the night crawler or earth worm, most LFS will order it for you. I buy a pound of them at a time for my goldfish since my 2 females are 7-8" long and can eat 5 worms at one bite. Plus these worms will help with the darker colors in the fish :D

Koko, are you talking about just plain old night crawlers that you can buy at a bait shop??? How do you prepare the worms? Do you have to wash them off, or what do you do?

• Admin

well I have a LFS that I order them from. Then I pick them out and place in a cup and rinse them off till all the dirt is off of them, then drop them in, I get the smaller worms so that my little ones can eat them. :D

• Admin

once a week as a treat if I have some in the house. If you get the bigger worms then you might have to chop them, thats why I get the smaller ones. :D

I thought bloodworms are one of the best food for goldfish!?!?! i only get the frozen dried bloodworms because i would think the frozen ones will make the tank dirty ! :unsure:

Archived