Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cuckoo for Calicos

Good Foods for Goldfish

Spaz, The goldfish don't eat the peel. Where'd you get that from? They only eat the inside part as far as i know.

Guest Spaz

Oh, ok. Duh. I should've known it was the inside part. I have no clue what I was thinking. :alc

I think he likes grapes now. He's been playing with a piece on and off, sucking on it and letting it float down, then sucking on it again, etc. I think he sees it as a toy more then food, kind of like when he's trying to eat his poop. I tried cutting them small, but I could only go so far before cutting my finger with the grape. I think I'll go change his water now, he's not eating the pieces and he's overdue for one anyways.

If your grape pieces are too big, just smashing them with two fingers does it for me. No knives, no cuts. :D Just take a small piece that you pick off or cut off and just squish it. You usually get a small squiggly piece of grape that is easier for the fish to eat than a huge chunk that he can hardley swallow. :D Same goes for watermelon, or any other fruit that stores amounts of water in the fruit.

Guest Halloween

Can a goldfish eat apple? No skins obviously. What about pears? Potato?

Thanks.

Guest Melie

If I were to feed my goldfish a pea or some lettuce would that be enough for all day or would I have to give him some fish flakes as well?

I have recently started feeding Mazuri Gel Food!! Easy to make, store, great for the fish & THEY HAVE A FEEDING FRENDZY over it!! So that is their main food.

But basically (especially since I am dieting & eating healthier) when I am preparing MY food...they are likely to get a bit of this , a bit of that. Different veggies, sometimes pieces of tuna or chicken. Pieces of fruits..oh yeah! Banana. orange, apple....what ever I get they get a taste too!!

May i ask what type of lettece is good? I have some rocket leaves in the fridge, would they be okay? What about basil leaves?

Im going to the store soon so i will pick up some other foods, maybe an orange :) hehe

Hey what about lemon? :)

Also sorry to double post >< but i have some haddock fillets in the fridge, would they like some of that? I always thought giving fish other fish was bad but after reading some of the posts here i think wrong, just a flag in my mind goes up about the fact that some fish are bleached to give them a better white colour, will this affect the fish?

I feed my fish cooked fish from the chippy, they love it.

Just a suggestion.....I used fresh Spinach leaves instead of lettuce. Lettuce has VERY little nutritional value, but spinach on the other hand is LOADED with good stuff! You can boil it or nuke it in the microwave for a minute. Just enough to soften it some. I get it fresh in bags right in the produce department. (Buy the way, it is also good on sandwiches instead of lettuce!!) :exactly

Guest Yuki and Kyo

My mom has a bunch of edamame downstairs... Any idea whether goldfishies can eat any? My dogs love them xD

Oh, and, I put the very ends of the lettuce onto a veggie clip, and for the past few hours Yuki and Kyo dislodged a big chunk out of it and started attacking the floating bits. Just now, they were trying to get another piece out. xD

Edited by Yuki and Kyo

Guest brummiefishes

What can you do with the earthworms? Just cut them up??? I hate hurting animals!!!

My goldfish have a staple diet of flakes, but I supplement it occasionally.

They seem confused and ignorant of krill pellets, and only peck at spinach out of duty, it seems like.

They LOVE tiny, tiny bits of apple, and go crazy over freezedried bloodworms.

I'm almost debating raising some brine shrimp to see their reactions to them...

An old tank, I used to feed the goldfish any invading ants. Would usually have a couple a day, and the goldfish got to the point they'd wait at the surface when I came over with something in my hand.

Edited by Johnny Five

Guest Spaz

ANTS?! I don't suppose fireants would work...That's all we have down here! haha!

I just tried celery with Spaz and he went NUTSO for it! Egads! Peas, lettuce, and now celery. I should've named him Hoover!

Next try: maybe a bit of turkey and potato :)

Guest leopardchic1225

All 4 of my gf seems to be swimming away from anything i put in their tank besides normal fish pellets... will they come around eventually and try it?

Guest MidnightClyde

I think it takes a while to 'train' the fish to eat things like peas, spinach, and other vegetables.

Anything with little to no scent they won't attack at first. My goldies used to let peas sink to the bottom and would swim around them for awhile. One of them would finally get brave and peck at it....the rest would join suit and eat the peas up.

Now they're likely to take my hand off for peas

Guest Kaynaydian

I feed mostly Hikari pellets, which my two red cap orandas love. But I also alternate with goldfish flakes (which is what I originally bought to feed them.)

I bought algae wafers for the snail, because he didn't seem to do such a great job with the algae on the glass, but low and behold, Jennings and Jeopardy went NUTS over the algae wafers! They just peck at it until it's gone.

Also, I was gone for a weekend so I bought one of those multi-day feeders so my sister wouldn't have to worry about feeding the fish. Low and behold, they attacked that multi-day feeder until it was gone in a matter of hours. *eyeroll*

I've tried peas, and broccoli and clementines (which they love the best). Tonight I'm going to give them some green grapes I think.

Guest pfargo

Are there any fruits or vegetables that are BAD to feed goldfish?

Avocado is deadly to some animals- birds I think, so I wouldn't try that. I would watch how much fruit is fed, since they are high in sugars. Be careful about seeds as these can get stuck.

Edited by imtammyo

For anyone reading this, I wouldn't suggest tubifex worms since they can be a host to a bacteria that makes fish sick and this bacteria needs a worm to host in and the tubifex worm is the only one that carries it.

Guest haz raver

my fish eat poatato (bad spelling) but make sure there is non left coz there will be a green tank if so

Guest CBaller701

ive been seeing people post plankton as a food for goldies, is that the same thing as the marine seaweed that comes in sheets or something else?

Guest rambilt

My gold fish loves to eat BEEF.. I just drop a whole cow in the tank and they take care of the rest.. :rofl

Seriously, this thread is great for a beginner like me. Thanks to everyone...

Guest 0reteki

Fly maggots! They work well as fish bait so thought might as well try feeding my goldfish some, and they loved it!