Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cuckoo for Calicos

Good Foods for Goldfish

Mine loathe ant eggs - won't eat 'em under any circumstances. They adore the Tetrafin food sticks though, can't get enough of them. How funny!

think they are still a little big for my guys yet.... might try cutting some of them in hlaf with a very sharp knife :)

Edited by Kev

wen i feed my fish lettuce it takes him awhile to come up tot he surface and eat it does this mean he dosen like it...also wen i feed the lettuce i taeit straight from the fridge rinse it then feed it to him is this the rite way?

If he didn't like it he wouldn't eat it at all. It's easier for fish to eat lettuce if you blanch it first; just put it in some boiling water for a minute - it makes it soft and much easier for them to tear and swallow. :)

il do that nex time....i tried feeding some orange today...and he ate it but he was looked like he was havin a hard time chewing it cuz he was chewin it for lik a min and a half...so i stuck my hand in and held him gently so he would spit it out...i no ur not supposed to do this but i was scared he was gonna choke...iam ordering some progold today so by the end of the week it should come...

With orange, it's best to put a whole slice in the tank (skin, pith and pips removed first). He can suck at it to his heart's content then - and will throughly enjoy doing so for the best part of an hour! - without choking. :)

Oh and one word or Advice, Do a water change the next day. Sometimes the orange will make a mess of things, but one good thing your tank will smell nice :rofl

i ordered some progold last night from goldfishconnection...when i get it how much and how often should i feed my fish it....

so when i feed oranges put the hole slice in whit everything removed would this harm him?

Guest Groucho

If you want to feed your goldfish cucumber try slicing them and then breaking off tiny pieces of them and offering them to the goldies. You can basically do the same thing with lettuce or you can just put some leaves on a veggie clip and stick it in the tank. Another food goldies seem to go for is zuchinni. Unlike cucumber, zuchinni seems to soften considerably after it has been in the water for a bit. If you leave a slice in the tank the goldies will nibble on it. In regards the to oranges, I was at vvvv once and saw a lemon slice, or what I thought was a lemon slice, in a tank of red cap orandas. They were going absolutely bonkers for it. You could probably do the same with oranges. Just slice them thinly a leave one in the water. On another note, my goldies seem to love cantaluope. I break off little bits of the fruit and drop them one by one into their hungry little mouths!!! P.S Snails love it too!!! :hi

thanks....i got my pro gold the other day...how much and how often should i feed the pro gold to him......

so far iam feeding my goldie ProGold Pellets and tetra Fin Goldfish Flakes..is theree any other food that i can feed my gf other than fruits and vegatables.. that are beneficial......like foods that can buy at my lps...

-raY

Guest kudos

brilliant thread so far, looks like i will be ordering progold for my 2 new fish pals, FINN & ZAC ( black moors who struggle to find flakes before white clouds get there ). what about tinned TUNA, is this safe to give to them either in brine or oil or tinned crabmeat, both of which is eaten loads in our house.

anyone in UK ordered PROGOLD from goldfishconnections, if so how much does it work out inc shipping, VAT etc, is it worth ordering a few packets at once, doesn't say on website what its shelf life is.

cheers Arran

Peas are a fav for my moore but he also enjoys earth worms and brocolli and citrous fruit... the peas and flakes are his fav though

El Pez :blink:

Guest goldsilver_99

Also can a gf eat cook beans(pinto ect...).

Guest Fdragonboss

Don't feed tubifex ( contains diseases!!!)

Guest ralph

i feed mine,

hikari pellets (for overall growth)

hikari algae wafers (for colour)

hikari frozen bloodworm (for wen growth)

peas! must. (to relieve the gas)

Guest FinnyFinnedFriend

Ray, you have to either freeze or parboil lettuce leaves before giving to the fish, or they will be too tough to chew through. Freezing or parboiling makes the leaf nice and wilty so that your fish can take nice big bites. Feed cucumber by peeling and shredding and attaching to a veggie clip (you can also use a bag clip if that's all you have).

Ahh thats why, my fish bit at my fingers instead of the lettuce. . . it tickles I think they like trying to eat me more than their food lol :D

Guest flyboymonkey

what goldfish foods that are homemade help change a fish to any other color i am NOT prepared to waste gas and money for a overthecounter food..

spinach, cucumber, parsley, dandelion leaves, carrots(steamed)

Does anything special need to be done to dandelion leaves before I feed them to my fish?

Do all the vegies pretty much have to be cooked? I'm just amazed over what you can feed these guys. I gave them some frozen peas that I cooked and they loved that. I removed the peel because I thought maybe that was too hard for them to digest. Should I leave the peel on instead?

Guest winnieada

Since finding this site and reading all the good advice my fishes have never ate better and looked great for it. They love pea's prawns, alongside blood worm and flakes. Cannot use the pellets as goldie the bigger fan tail gulps them all down before the others get a look in. They also love Daphnia and shrimp brine, they fight and chase each other soon as it goes in the water. The food they don't like is fruit & lettuce, and they eat the plants I have. A big thank you for sharing such great information. London UK

spinach, cucumber, parsley, dandelion leaves, carrots(steamed)

Does anything special need to be done to dandelion leaves before I feed them to my fish?

Don't harvest any that are not grown in your own backyard or in a pot. Many have insecticides, even though they haven't wilted and died yet. I suggest growing your own ^_^ All you gotta do is rinse them with water like you would with any veggie before eating. They may like the blossoms too.

Guest Spaz

I have a little 2 1/2"-3" nnnnnn goldfish (picture an orange and white Jaws) who I tried giving some smooshed up iceberg lettuce to for the first time just a few minutes ago, and I must say, he LOVES it. This little bugger eats like a horse anyways, but now that he discovered these "treats" he seems happier, and vacuums them up like nobody's business!

I'll have to try some orange. I know it's been sad over and over, but you just give them the PEEL right? Take off the meat and the white skin, and leave the peel? Citrus makes me sick, so I don't know the "technical" terms for the parts of the fruit.

Could you give them pieces of apples, brussel sprouts, squid, crab, oyster, tomato?

I noticed a lot of people feed their goldfish bloodworms, but when I gave Spaz some, he just turned his nose up and ignored them, so I scooped them out. I'm not too worried about him not eating or missing a few meals, he's a pig to begin with.

ralph,

u feed them hikari algae wafer? arent those for bottom feeders? and isnt it too big in size for GF to eat??

spaz,

my ranchu rejected them at 1st too...wat i did was starve him for a day plus and when he is really hungry i put in the frozen bloodworms and tempt him...he gobbled them up instantly...and he is eating them since then...and he likes it too!