Anti Social Fish?

i just recently got a baby red cap, and ive had him for about 2 weeks now. He is VERY different from my moor, who will swim towards anyone who walks by the tank. instead, my red cap swims away from anyone or anything that moves and is constantly hiding underneath the filter. he will swim around if i am sitting still and he doesnt notice me, but as soon as i get up or make a sudden movement he swims far away as he possibly can or hides underneath the filter. does this behavior mean anything? is it possible to grow him out of this through trust, or is it sometimes just a personality trait that cannot change? i'm just curious to know what other people with 2+ fish think, because i have only ever owned my one black moor who is the sweetest little girl and i am not used to this anti social behavior of my red cap. i hope he can learn to like and trust me! also please let me know if this behavior is not normal so i can fix something if i am doing something wrongg.

thanks! =]

Just give the red cap time. He is still soooo little and the world is soooo large. This little fish has probably been shipped around, experienced differant water qualites and differant tanks.

My vote is he will grow out of it. It is good he has company and will soon learn he has nothing to fear!

biggrin.gif

My tiny fish is going through a phase like this...he wedged himself under a rock for two days. He's now starting to come out more and more, I have lots of plants and rocks and a big piece of driftwood, if it all gets a bit much for him he just goes and hovers behind something for a while. He's starting to remember that I am food blob and is starting to come out more when he sees me, and is swimming around a lot more. It has taken about 2 weeks though, just be patient, don't walk past the tank at top speed etc, he should come around soon :) You could also maybe try leaving the lights off for 2-3 days if you have them, that helps destress :)

You could maybe try just putting 2-3 pellets in the tank when you go past so he learns you mean food, maybe do this instead of a bulk feeding once/twice a day, lots of tiny meals are better anyway, he'll sharp learn otherwise your moor will get all the food!

It is an unfortunate truth that pets like fish and rodents love us as the bringers of food, or in my hamster's case, freedom! :(

that is true Goldfish Geisha, i wonder what he really has been through in his short life so far!

and devilduck, you made me laugh when you said you were the "food blob" haha! its so true! its good {not good, but relieving i should say) to know that other people are experiencing this with their fish too, i will try feeding him more often when i walk by! he currently does not have a light on his tank. should i get some ornaments and things for him to feel safe around? currently all i have are gravel and pebbles at the bottom of the tank. hey, if providing food is what it takes to get some love from my goldies, i'm all up for it! =D

Every fish has a unique personality. In general however, new fish tend to be skittish. When you introduce a fish, make sure the tank lights are all off and provided some safe decorations for them to take refuge in. This lessens stress.

Your fish is still new. GG is correct in suggesting you to give it time to recover and get accustomed to its new environment. Some of my goldies acted like that although luckily, a majority already learned to approach me for food as soon as they get into the quarantine tanks.:) I can still remember Chester and Donna, my orandas going mad for food a few minutes after being introduced to the tanks. My Siamese doll Cash took well to the foods. I did have one black ranchu Loco who hid for almost an hour before my oranda Velvet managed to coax him to join the group on feeding time. That was when I introduced Loco to my main tank after he graduated from the quarantine. Max was quite skittish that I had to distance myself from the tank so he can eat. No sooner had I introduced him a new girlfriend, Lorraine and he got over his skittish attitude. rolleyes.gif

You don't need to go out and buy decs, particularly if you like your tank the way it is, what I've done before particularly with small fish is just put 2-3 mugs in the tank facing different ways, they'll sit in the mugs until they feel better :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/77211-quarentine-question/ Scroll down a bit on that page (I can't get the original image off photobucket as I'm at work), she spent nearly her entire QT in that cocktail shaker!!! After she settled in the main tank with Caesar she never hid at all and I just took it out :)

ahhh! im going crazy! my red cap just got a piece of gravel in his mouth and it looks like hes just sucking on it but hes been sucking on this same piece of gravel for a long time!!! i tried to lift him out of the water with my hand to see if he would spit it out but he didnt. i even tried to drop some food in by him, he went for the food but didnt spit out the gravel. what do i do!!

What foods did you give him? Did you ever find out if the gravel seems stuck? I'd leave it alone for now but if after a few hours the gravel remains stuck, I'd pull it out with tweezers. Remove all the offending gravel right now though and keep watch for cycle bump. If possible, stuff a handful of gravel in a nylon stocking made into a bag and let it hang in the corner of tjhe tank for awhile to minimze possible cycle bumps. Remove the rest of your substrate.

not sure if it is stuck. i will carefully watch for now. how long should i wait to pull it out? ill remove all gravel ASAP! oh, and i dropped in 2 pellets of hikari lionhead thinking that he would spit out the gravel to eat. but that wasnt the case, should i not have done that?

Edited by justkeepswimming

Er...Vicki, you'd have to watch out your water parameters when you do. To minimize cycle bumps, stuff handful or a bowl of it in nylon bag so your cycle will gradually adjust to lesser substrate until none.:)

The food would only possibly lodge the gravel deep into the throat if it pushes the stone. Your best bet is not to feed it until it dislodges the gravel. If after 5-6 hours the gravel remains stuck, then consider removing it with tweezers. Apply stresscoat on hands or use gloves and then cover its eyes with your fingers while attempting to remove the stone with the fish in almost downward position. The gravity should make it easier for the stone to drop out.

Oh no! Gravel stuck in the mouth is never fun! I hope it turns out well for you guys.

As for anticocial fish? Yep, I had one, but she's good now. Once she was in the tank with the extremely friendly one that is Luna she came around pretty quick. If she went hiding Luna would go after her and 'hover' near the hiding spot until she came out! :doh11: Lady and Luna school together constantly now, if Luna goes to far away, Lady (and now Lexie too) chase after her. :rofl

Lady also learnt instantly that I am food blob once with Luna. Since Luna took food from my hand, she would too. She now has no fear of the hand or me walking past. Always 'begs' at the waters surface for food when I walk past now. Shes greedy. :yeah: As fish grow they get less skittish, and maybe being with a fish that is not afraid will help.

I'm sure if my girl can come around, so can yours. ;)

well, i ended up having to take the gravel out with tweezers. i was so scared that i would hurt his little mouth but everything was fine. the rock was really stuck in there ,and it just popped out once i had a nice hold on it with the tweezers. i NEVER want to have to do that again! i removed all gravel except a few i put in one of those plastic cups with the holes in them that they sell betta fish in. i think because of this incident, i am going to name him Einstein! because of the gravel incident and also i hope his wen (which i think looks like a brain when they get bigger) will grow to get huge!

oh, and i think there was progress ! after pulling the gravel out Einstein is no longer AS scared of me, of course he is still a bit jittery but he doesnt swim away AS frantically when i walk by the tank. ONCE he even came up to me and looked at me through the glass! i think pulling the gravel out was a bonding experience for the both of us :heart yay!

Agreed with Lupin, that's why I don't have gravel. I either go with a very thin (under 1cm layer) of sand (too small to get stuck, but the worst to clean. It's my favourite though, and the most natural for the fish) river rocks (too big to get stuck, but has alot of 'fill room' so filth gets stuck their and it needs lots of cleaning) or no substrate at all (defiently the easiest to keep). ;)

Hope your little guy is doing ok :)