Kimono Has Ich

Anielynn

Well do to my carelessness. We have a case of ich. General tension in my house and my fish is suffering because of it. The story goes Kimono is still in quarantine. I have been taking everything very slowly since i got him. I left the salt at .1 trying to give my cycle a chance to really kick in before i upped it to .3. So he stayed at .1 For about a week. The first several days everything was great. Readings were perfect he was doing great and salt at .1. Then......i skipped a 2 days of testing. Out of the blue ammonia at 1. Totally my fault. I was too confident in that cycle holding.

So where i am now. 3 days ago i check and find ammonia. And blood in fins. I do a major water change and up the salt to .2. Another water change the next day. And everyday since. The ick started last night. Another major water change today and upped the salt to .3. And temp to 80.

So just to clarify this. Water changes everyday. Temp 80. And salt at .3.

By the way I'm crying. :cry1 I just lost Sushi and this stuff is scaring the crap out of me. Help me.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api

[*]Water temperature? 80

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon qt

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? whisper 100

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? everyday now. but yes i skipped days

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 small

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? pellets twice a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? salt

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? blood in fins and ick

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Edited by Anielynn

Steph-don't freak out. I have my water at .3% because of the same reason....and it is working fine. Everyone is doing OK, and Kimono will too. Just keep an eye and keep the salt going. It really will be OK.

I'm sooo sorry ur dealing with this, especially so soon after the loss of Sushi, but I agree... try your best to remain calm and optimistic!

You're doing everything right.. You've got the heat up. You've got the salt in.. The salt needs to stay at 0.3% for approx 7 days after the last spot of Ich is gone. Also remember it is very normal for the Ich to get much WORSE before it gets better..

Keep checking your levels daily, and try to do daily (Or even twice daily) water changes now, keeping the water and tank as clean as possible. Gravel vac thoroughly each day.... And be sure to replace the salt that is taken out..

How is Kimono behaving? And is he still eating well???

Hang in there sweetie!! :heart

Thank you guys. :heart:heart:heart And yes he is eating great. But i can tell ich itches. He swims really fast and dives sideways trying to scratch though. I will start twice daily water changes tomorrow. Whats the life cycle like of ich? How long does it usually take for it to start dieing off?

Salt and meds hit only the trophonts, the free swimming %&*$ protozoans. You want to encourage the protozoans to start producing fast so the trophonts will immediately burst once they swim into the open area with salt around.

Steph, as long as you keep your water consistently clean and salt steady at 0.3%, it should kill all those protozoans. I have yet to lose one fish even tropicals to ich. Of course, watch out for secondary infections as Flavobacterium columnare is found to attach itself to ich.

For better understanding of its lifecycle, read this.

Ich (which causes "white spot disease") is a ciliated protozoan parasite that bores into the skin and gills of fish where it feeds, destroying tissue and thereby blocking exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide, usually leading to death of the host. Each parasite grows on the fish from roughly 40 microns, which cannot be seen by the naked eye, to approximately one millimeter in diameter, which can easily be seen as a white spot. The parasites leave the fish in about 5-6 days (a ciliate with its typical large nucleus is shown in the image). Each cell then divides multiple times to produce up to 1000 more infective organisms. The entire life cycle takes about 6-7 days. With subsequent rounds of infection the number of parasites continues to increase, and each wave of re-infection becomes more deadly than the last. By the second or third re-infection the fish population is usually overwhelmed and fish begin to die. Fish that survive mild infections can develop immunity.

Hang in there, Steph. Ich IS treatable and Kimono is otherwise a very healthy fish. It's GREAT news that his appetite is still good -- in my eyes, that means he'll kick the ich (heh) quickly and easily. As everyone said, you're doing all the right things. There's no reason to think that Kimono won't pull through this with flying colors (and a big flowing tail!).

I know how worried you must be after losing Sushi, though. I get an adrenaline rush whenever I look at my ranchus if I think I've spotted something wrong. So I know you're scared. But I truly believe Kimono will be better very very soon.

You did great :heart ! Much easier to get a handle on ich if you spot it early and treat fast. Kimono will be fine. The ich spots will stay on between 3 to 6 days and then when they fall off (every single one of them) you are looking at another 6 or 7 days of salt at that level. Keep lots of air going as ich damages and clings to gills making uptake of oxygen harder.

This is not what you need huh....:goodluck

Thank you. The spots are already looking better. I'm starting to wonder if they were there at all but my hubby saw them too so i know they were. I see one or two more. But he has weeks of salt left to go anyway so all should be fine. But what about blood still showing in his fins. That showed up after my ammonia spike and we have had about 4 or 5 days of perfect water and it still looks red.

0 on everything. I did an 80 percent water change again today. I tested the ammonia tonight to see if i needed to change it again and it was still zero so i am leaving it until tomorrow.

0 ammonia,o nitrite and 5 nitrate on my QT tank this morning before water change. Fins are still red. I will post pics sometime today when the water clears from the buffer.

Is she a white fish or calico, as these color fish show red in the fins very easily. Stress of any kind will also redden fins.

How's things today?:)

Yes the fins are white. And i wasn't really worried at first because i thought steady water changes would clear it right up. But it has been a week since the ammonia spike and there is no improvement yet.

DSC02572.JPG

Give it 3 weeks sustained good water as you are. Redness takes longer than splits and scales ime.

The ich salt will help. She is a beauty :heart

Steph, I know this is your D&D thread about Kimono's ich, but I just have to say:

DANG. That is one GORGEOUS fish!

Lol. :D Thank you so much. I REALLY like this little fish. And if i can ever cure him of being a big chicken i will LOVE this fish. It is a pleasure to watch and i really hope i can keep him alive to reach his full potential. I think he will be a sight to see.

Give it 3 weeks sustained good water as you are. Redness takes longer than splits and scales ime.

The ich salt will help. She is a beauty :heart

Thank you. I am actually relieved to hear that redness takes a while. At least i am not behind schedule. And thank you so much for the help. :heart

Thank you. :heart:heart:heart:heart:heart I looked at them a lot myself and then all of sudden he just kind of stuck out amongst the rest. I did get lucky didn't i ??? He really needs to breed more of these little beauties. :D

Yes I totally agree!! Redness seems to be the hardest thing to get rid of even after the issues that caused it are gone... Recently a few of my fish had different problems that caused tail rot/splits, missing scales and red in the fins... Lucy for one and her tail is totally regrowing and her scales are COMPLETELY back to normal but the red areas are still there. Chase as well.. His tail is regrowing but a certain area of red is being stubborn..

I know it still causes us to worry, but I try to look past that and think "okay.. are they eating? are they swimming? Are there other physical signs that they are getting better?" And I think if you can answer yes to some or all of those questions, then u can at least hope that the red will clear it time, and assume that it's not to urgent..

I am so glad that Ich cleared so quickly and everything seems to be getting better!!!! I said it before but u should be VERY pleased with yourself for catching this so fast. I think it REALLY made a difference! :)

Thank you. I feel better. I was just fixing to whine about the redness some more. Lol. I will let it go and concentrate on the positive. But i have one more question. Could it be salt sensitivity. It looks the slightest bit redder today and the water is perfect. I'm wondering now about the salt.