Should I Get 125 Gallon Tank?

So I need you large aquarium owner's advice.

I have always dreamed of getting a 125 gallon aquarium. I am turning 40 on Feb 26th and am thinking of getting the dream tank as a gift to me.

I live in a basement apartment. Just got new carpeting and there is cement under carpet so weight is not a problem. I have 7 large goldfish (5' to 12")

Question: Now I have 3 tanks. It takes about 3 hours per week to clean tanks. I use a python for water change and wipe glass,etc.

mytank1.gif

If I got my dream, I would have the 125 and keep the 55gallon. My worry is cleaning. sad.gif

Are 125 gallon tanks harder to clean? Is it hard to reach the back glass for cleaning?

Please advise!

Thanks!

oh wow 3 hours a week? you must do some pretty hardcore cleaning. i am no big tank owner.. though i do wish, though on that note, i would assume it in a way could be easier, because so much space will decrease the chances of big water changes. though dont get me wrong, it is another thing to do on the list when it comes to cleaning.

however, personally, i think it would be a wonderful gift, you are turning 40, and shall live on for many more years, however i think if you have always wanted a big tank, go for it! treat yourself to some fun, and setting it up and spending hours getting it just right, i think that would be a great gift to be proud of. so in my opinion, if i had such the chance, and you really do care about your fish and are up for it. then i say go for it. well worth it. and if i dont see you in the forums around or on your birthday, well then... in advance, happy birthday :D

I purchased a 125 gal tank a little over a year ago. It's not hard to clean the interior parts of the tank. I get by with just a mag-a-float algae scraper thing. It's the HOB filters that are difficult for me to clean out. Especially the one hanging in the middle section of the 125g. Once the tank is up against the wall, there's nothing moving that hubba bubba mammoth tank! :blink:

Sometimes I do get my shirts wet reaching down to the bottom of the tank too. :lol

Daniel calls my water changes "going swimming". :rofl

If you're using a python, it wastes a lot of water though. :(

So to conserve, I just use my python but it's gravity fed into the garden. It takes about 2 hours to drain the tank to about 4-5 inches of water. :blink: Then another 20 mins or so to fill it up. :fishtank

Edited by Tinkokeshi

Oh ya once my pythons get going I turn off the tap water. Slower this way but cheeper water wise. My four tanks take anywhere from an hour to 3hours depending on how many tanks I need to do and how much water I change.

3 hours isn't bad. I've done 4 hours.;)

I'd personally not clean off the algae at the back glass. It makes a nice background but that's just me unless you have nice backdrops already set. I like a painted black background look which I might do with new tanks.

If you are worried about reaching filters hung on the back you could go with canister filters which you put under the tank so it isn't a problem.

For cleaning algae off the back of the tank you should be able to get something like this

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/hagen-deep-reach-algae-scrub-p-1684.html

I ahve a big tank (100ish US gallons) and it is easier than having loads of little tanks, although I have to do water changes with buckets so it is a fair amount of work.