Rescue Fish

ParadiseLost

Hello all

Please help! I just rescued a fish and got him for free...

He is a young pearlscale. He has VERY torn fins to the point where his tail is half as long as it should be. All his side fins are torn as well as his dorsal fin.

He also has a little bubbly thing coming out of his side, at least one perhaps another. It looks basically like a deflated see through balloon.

So yes this is how he came so it's not a result of MY bad keeping!

I have salt but what other things do I need to get him?

Thanks!

Edited by Goldfish Carer

I would hold off on the salt until a mod gets here Lou, some of those top shots look like pineconing to me, though it's hard to tell on a pearlscale, which would mean dropsy. Don't quote me on that but best to err on the side of caution! Just focus on keeping the water super clean until someone else can give an opinion on that!

He's super cute though ;) and he doesn't look like a fish on his last fins to me, hopefully he'll pull through for you :)

Thanks Sarah! It might be pineconing but I just thought it was from his Pearlscaleness? Hopefully a mod will help decide!

I haven't salted yet as I was also waiting for some further advice :)

When he was in the shop he was floating in a top corner gasping for air but now he's in fresh water he is wiggling around and I am so pleased he is more active already. He doesn't have the floats like I thought he did.

xxx

I don't see any pineconing? I just see the pearls on the sides of the fish, which I can see on all mine blink.gif At this point I'd say clean water is your best bet, that has a tendency to works small miracles.

There might not be, I can see it in some pics, the top link in particular, and not in others. I've never had a pearlscale but figured that as long as it's not 'add these meds now' it's best to err on the side of caution until someone else gives an opinion :) I've had one of my fish dropsy, and her scales looked just like that top pic, but she was a fantail not a pearlscale so the scales were different in the first place obviously.

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt293/taperecorders/035-1.jpg

Eugh pineconing literally makes me feel sick I can't stand weird textures :ill

Well his scales dont look very sticky outy like that to me.

xxx

If you wanna see him I've put him on webcam today: http://ustre.am/chiP

Edited by Goldfish Carer

So I took the liverty of catching my most spherical pearlie (winston) and took pictures from the top as best I could so you could compare.

top003.jpg

top002.jpg

top001.jpg

I can say that he is perfectly healthy and does not have dropsy so he can be out "control fish" for your comparision.

So I took the liverty of catching my most spherical pearlie (winston) and took pictures from the top as best I could so you could compare.

top003.jpg

top002.jpg

top001.jpg

I can say that he is perfectly healthy and does not have dropsy so he can be out "control fish" for your comparision.

Ah wow great pics! Yes their scales are looking similar with the pearl tinting there :)

So what did you feed him to strengthen and round him up? I want to make sure this little one gets strong now so he can grown back his fins and get rid of whatever that bubble thing is! xxx

I feed a mix of Hikari lionhead, sinking spirulina pellets, and omega one small sinking pellets along with greens almost everyday and bloodworms twice a week :]

btw I'm watching your webcam!! haha

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

Wow! Those are some fantastic pics!

I'm still not 100% sure, maybe having seen dropsy before on my own fish I'm just paranoid :) It's only in one of the pics I can see it, not the other top shots, and it is the one with the most flash so maybe it's just the light :)

Well most of the bubble thing seems to have fallen off now I looked in this morning. There is just a little bit left. I took a look at him very last thing last night, he doesn't seem to fussed about me handling him (:D) and it almost looks like around where the puffy thing has been there is a little indent and some scales have come off. Ideas?

Much appreciated to know if I should be treating him!

xxx

Doesn't seem dropsy to me. I wish I can adjust my eyes a few more microns....rolleyes.gif

I would not feed the pearlies with flakes. Pearlies are so prone to floaty issues that flakes will only add up to the problem. I once had cheap shrimp pellets fed to my tikus and they looked like they could not control their buoyancy with their tail standing a few degrees much to my horror so I quitted that stuff and went for gel, bloodworms and Hikari Lionhead.

The scales got torn off? Any abrasive decors or none at all? If it were those "beads" torn, they won't regrow anymore. That's just the trouble with pearls. They can't preserve their "pearls" which they are famous for once they lose them.

Well basically his side looks like it has a soft little indent in it, and the scales may still be there, most of them are, but they are not pearly at least.

The tanks he was in before I got his were empty of decorations. There was however at angry sucker fish pleco thing (quite small) that got cross everytime a pearlie went near it! So the fins have basically just seem to have torn/worn down. His dorsal fin for example is basically a straight line of fin rather than a triangular shaped fin, and all the edges are frayed. Hope they grow back!

It was little and white and had little whiskers if I remember rightly.

I used to like that store but now I am put off because of how this little one was in a state...

I got him for free anyway...

And red eyes too, right? Albino bristlenose. This one must be a male. How small was it including the tail? Males in my experience are too aggressive. I've never had luck with them coexisting well with large tankmates particularly discus and goldfish even though the tanks were spacious enough. Of course, if your store's tank was not spacious at all, that'd contribute to his belligerence.

I only have my female long-finned BN pleco left and she's quite wonderful. Has lived with me for almost three years already and she shares her food well with my goldies.:)

Yeah, would be nice to see pics of that. I can't tell very well from the previous ones. Do you have photobucket account? It'd be easier with it because in flickr, the pics are smaller. Hmmm...

Lol I sign up to pretty much everything on the web so yeah I have a photobucket lololol I'll get some pics now. Like I said he isn't overly worried about me handling him which I am SOOOOO pleased about xxx