New To Me Vintage Pemco Tank

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found this thread and enjoyed it very much! What a great addition to your lovely kitchen!! My kitchen walls are painted the same color as yours (or at least as they appear in the pictures).

Glad you liked the read. It's definately been a challenge...of sorts, but it's finally starting to come together. Long way to go yet, but the fish are healthy and have plenty of room to roam, the water is clean and I'm able to keep the ammonia/nitrites in check while I wait for the tank and filter to really get cycled. So, so far, so good. Plently of playing around yet to do, but the big stuff is done and I can pick away at the rest.

amynmitchell, if you want to email me directly about the Pemco tank I'm selling just add; at cs dot com to my user name.

Edited by austinado16

A bit more progress:

Had to have 2 pieces of glass cut to fit inside the hoods and protect the electrical components from the "fizz" of the bubble wall, and general moisture of the location. I also burried the bubble stick to make the bubbles larger and help eliminate that "fizz" as the back of the tank. It was getting the right hood wet enough to trip the GFI circuit. I also installed a little Rio 90 85phm pond pump in the upper left rear corner to lift and stir the water in that end of the tank. It's only about 2" x 2" so hides nicely in that upper corner behind the red plant. I'm also trying out a different background and like it better than the blue.

Finishedoverallb.jpg

Thanks ladies! It's coming along and the fish seem to really dig all the real estate.

I think it's getting close® to be cycled too. Last night I had nitrites that were up to 1.0ppm which is the highest I've had them since I started testing on Jan. 23rd. Nitrates were a solid 10ppm, so I changed 10 gallons of water. Hopefully in a week or so it'll be fully cycled.

Thanks Jeff! I've got another one w/ stand, if you're interested. Delivery available!

Updated the hoods today. While doing some work to the tank this morning, I had one hood held in both hands and my bare arms were touching the top of the tank. I got a little "bite" from stray current, like testing a 9v battery that's about half dead, with your tongue. They were originally wired with 2-wire cord, and that's how I redid them. Well, that 3rd ground wire would be nice since I was getting shocked!

So I replaced the 2-wire with 3-wire and bolted the ground wire to the inside rear area of the hood via a hole that was already in the hood. Cured the problem.

Also replaced one of the original Penn-Plax T-8's with a "GLO" brand "Power-Glo" 18,000k/50Lux T-8. They didn't have 2 of them, so I'll have to wait until they get more in. The Power-Glow gives a truer looking color to everything, and less of that "black light" color enhancement type of glow. But at the cost of $26 vs. $8 for the "aquarium" T-8's.

Gosh, I wish I could, I'm in the dog house right now for my tank/equipment spendings, I got in big trouble. :doh11: I need to learn how to lie. :D Those Pemco tanks look awesome, I could use a new tank for my common Pleco. :( He is a filthy little dude, he seems to make 10X more waste than my 5 gf combined. Good job on the ground wire fab! I hate getting bit, makes me feel violated. :scared

Well, if things change with she-who-must-be-obeyed, let me know, happy to work with you on it, and see it go to fellow board member. It's not going anywhere. (actually, if I had room...and believe me, I've walked all over the house looking) I'd have it set up as a Neon Tetra and Angel fish planted tank...

Check out what this Metaframe collector near Chicago has done with one of his big ones. How killer is this!

CIMG1977_filteredresized.jpg

Edited by austinado16

Kim I wish you would have gotten ahold of me sooner. I have a buddy who runs across the US w/ a 50'x8' enclosed trailer and he's going to be here at the end of March. Just sold the tank and stand last night, and they're going to Wisconsin.

Here's a current photo. The tank is cycled as of yesterday, but I'm still watching the water params until I see they're truely stable.

I fired up the Supreme Aquaking filter today. It cleaned up beautifully, and I found a new J pipe for it from a collector in Indiana. It works great. I filled one of it's mesh bags with activated carbon and will look around for some good filter floss or something else to go in there too.

Finishedoveralld.jpg

Edited by austinado16

My Fluval spray bar and longer intake pipe finally arrived. It took a little modding to the spray bar to make it longer and have more holes, and the longer intake pipe had to be cut down to the correct length. But I wound up with almost a full length spray bar, and the intake pipe "grille" is now only about 1/2" off the gravel.

In the foreground you can see the lift from the Rio 90 pond pump, which I have set up so circulate water in that far corner of the tank. I put a left over piece of the new longer intake pipe into the bottom of the pond pump, so the pump drawing water from the bottom 1/3 of the tank, and pumping it out the top at an angle.

I'm still running the full length bubble wall, but have it turned down some, while I see how things do with the spray bar. What I'd like to do is cut the bubble stick into small chunks and place a chunk under each piece of petrified wood, linked like a snake with clear air tube under the gravel and have each piece of PW have some bubbles coming up around or behind it.

Still searching for a cool background!

Here's an updated photo.

Spraybar_filtered.jpg

awesome, awesome, awesome!!!I just love everything you have done with this tank!!!and the other one with the discus and angelfish, that's one great looking tank as well!!!Congrats looks like all your hard work has paid off very well indeed :)

I'm a bit ignorant on these things, but does the spray bar attach to the outtake and then cause a fine mist of bubbles?

That picture is a little confusing. Yes, the spray bar attaches to your outlet/return pipe. The kit comes with a plastic elbow. You remove the duckbill outlet that the fluval comes with. That leaves you with just the corrogated plastic pipe. Then you take the plastic elbow that comes in the spray bar kit, and snap that onto the plastic pipe. This makes the pipe bend 90 degrees and holds it like that. Now you plug the spray bar onto the end of the plastic pipe, and suction cup the spray bar to the back glass. I then twisted the spray bar just enough so that it was releasing it's outlet water in the archs that you see in the photo. The bubbles that you see are just from the bubble wall, which is still running.

I made this spray bar longer by splicing in a section of the new (very long) intake pipe that came today. I drilled holes of the same diameter into the section of intake pipe, and then slipped it in the middle of the 2 "real" sections of spray bar pipe. It was made from the same plastic pipe, so it was easily drilled and then I cut about a 1" section of clear hose from my Python gravel vac and used that to make my splice.

awesome, awesome, awesome!!!I just love everything you have done with this tank!!!and the other one with the discus and angelfish, that's one great looking tank as well!!!Congrats looks like all your hard work has paid off very well indeed

Thanks for the compliments! It's been fun, but very trying at times, and quite a bit of work. Oh, and just to be clear, that nice looking planted tank with the Angels, Neons and Discus isn't one of mine. That's owned by a collector in Indiana. He has a house full of Metaframes, both in use, and on static display.

I found mine on ebay from a seller that runs a fluvalparts.com online thing. I got the pickup tube from him too. His prices were okay, and he combined shipping...but he dogged me on getting the stuff shipped. It took a few emails and more than a week before he finally shipped after I paid.

Hi David,

I've got a Fluval 405 running with a rating of 340gph. In the filter I have the 4 original large sponge filters, the bottom tray is full of Fluval's "Pre-Filter" ceramics. The next tray up from there has 2 packets of their "Clear Max" granules, and on top of those is sitting the Fluval water polishing pads. Then in the next 2 trays, 1 pound of their "BioMax" per tray (so 2 pounds of BioMiax).

The fish are about 8", 7" and 4".

I'm breaking some goldfish keeping rules, and learning as I go:

1) single tails need 20 gallons per fish

2) goldfish tanks need filtration that's about 10 times the capacity of the tank

3) gravel shouldn't fit in their mouths and shouldn't be more than about 1/2" deep.

Flipped my background over to see how I like the rock-wall-w/-plants "look." I should have turned off the bubble wall for these photos. Anyway, here are 3 "new" views. In one you can see the crew vacuuming the gravel after their afternoon meal...and down in the lower right corner of that photo is the fish TV that started it all with our big Commet, about 5 years ago.

Finishedefront_filtered.jpg

Finishedeleftside_filtered.jpg

Finishederightside_filtered.jpg

Edited by austinado16

Thanks! Personally, I like the Comets better. I like their body shape, and that big tail, plus, when they light the after-burner, they are soooo fast. The little took off the other day and it was like watching time travel; one minute he was on the left side, then a blur of bubbles and he reappeared on the right. Would love to trade the big Common for one more large Comet.