Sign in to follow this  
skinnyrose

Are They Doing What I Think They Are?

What a sin, my poor Simi (calico oranda) hasn't had a break all after noon, she is the only female in the tank, the boys are following her everywhere..although I think the boys are just too young,(orange and redcap) but she isn't, her brother my other Calico Oranda Akari has his Breeding Tubicles very apparent,there is no mistaking them at all, but he does not bother with her at all...

I'm not ready to be a grandma yet, and my new 55 gal won't be ready for a few weeks yet.....please tell me they are just being lovey, and not "LUVEY"

th_003.jpg

It might be breeding....

How big is your current tank they are in? If they are crowded, they sometimes bully the other. My sister's goldies did this all the time and they never bred, it was because the tank was really small.

It might be breeding....

How big is your current tank they are in? If they are crowded, they sometimes bully the other. My sister's goldies did this all the time and they never bred, it was because the tank was really small.

They are in a 35g right now.....although in the video they look bigger the Orange and Red Cap are only 2.5 inches from fin to tip of their heads....right now they have lots of room ...but won't later on down the line, which is why I got the 55 ..

It's a good size tank. How old are they?

You might have little Twilighter's swimming around soon. ;)

LMAO .....that is funny.....Honestly I dont know how old they are, I've only had Jacob and Bella (who I just found out is a boy) for 1 month, and Simi (female) and Akari (male with Breeding Tubicles) for 4 days..lol

Jacob and Bella are smaller then the newbies: Simi and Akari...

Ohh I hope the 55 gallon cycles fast...lol

Edited by skinnyrose

lol thats cute! but i hope it isnt breeding! seeing you dont want that to happen.. keep us posted :D

Do the female give off some kind of scent or trigger, that would send the boys into this frenzy??? Jacob has litteraly started to shimmy his whole body when he swims next to her...his whole body does this vibraty shimmy thing.....ooooooohhhh boy!!! lol

LMAO .....that is funny.....Honestly I dont know how old they are, I've only had Jacob and Bella (who I just found out is a boy) for 1 month, and Simi (female) and Akari (male with Breeding Tubicles) for 4 days..lol

Jacob and Bella are smaller then the newbies: Simi and Akari...

Ohh I hope the 55 gallon cycles fast...lol

If I remember correctly the goldies need to be a year old to become sexually mature if that's even right.

If you read on the fry diary that's a sticky at the end her fish is 6 months old, 5 inches long and fully ready to spawn.

It really depends on how it was raised.

If it has breeding tubercles, then I say its old enough to breed.

And yes, females release two pheromones I've read. The first pheromone is when she is starting to form eggs, which encourages the males to start making milt, and then the second pheromone is released when she is ready to spawn, and that is what triggers the males to start chasing her.

Elaine, you'll be surprised I am wishing my orandas will NOT spawn again.rofl3.gifrofl3.gif I might tempt myself to save the eggs so I am crossing fingers if they will spawn, they better eat all the eggs before I can see a single one.yeah.gif

Elaine, you'll be surprised I am wishing my orandas will NOT spawn again.rofl3.gifrofl3.gif I might tempt myself to save the eggs so I am crossing fingers if they will spawn, they better eat all the eggs before I can see a single one.yeah.gif

OMG I'm going for surgery this week and theres no way I'd have the new tank ready.....and if they spawn theres no way I could bring myself to get rid of the eggs, or even let them eat them....I think I agree Lupin, they best eat them before I see them.....cause I know I'd be setting up my 10g and getting everything ready.....stitches and all lol

I hope you'll do well with the surgery, Elaine.:)