What Meds To Keep On Hand?

jody

I have seen this topic before but I cant seem to find it. I am looking for a list of meds to keep on hand as I am doing a online order soon and want to know what to pick up. Obviously I cant afford a $100 order right now so I guess the essentials would be good. Thanks guyssmile.gif

Here is what I keep on hand at all times:

Melafix

Pimafix

Prazi-pro

Aquarium Salt

Im curious to know what others keep on hand as well.:)

I'd add epsom salt, prime (even though it's not a med), and probably unopened med food like jungle or metromeds (if they have a good shelf life, I'll have 2 check on that).

this is great b/c I'm getting back into fish and I need to restock my fishy first aid. ;)

Only melafix mostly to help repair fins. Oh and some aquarium salt it just about can cure everything. If I tried to keep any on hand it would go bad before I use it.

Your best bet is to take proper care of your fish. Enough filtration, enough space ect... so you don't even need meds.

Melafix

Pimafix

Prazi-pro

Aquarium Salt

I'd add epsom salt, prime (even though it's not a med), and probably unopened med food like jungle or metromeds (if they have a good shelf life, I'll have 2 check on that).

this is great b/c I'm getting back into fish and I need to restock my fishy first aid. ;)

Shawna, where did you get the prazi pro, I tried to get some today at Ricks, he didnt have any so I had to get ParaGuard....also have you found a place to get Pro Gold, I checked out Sempi and they only deliver to the closet air port....which for us is in Ottawa.

Prazi, salt and I like Biobandage. A topical. Another topical- HP is good to have to (the people kind 3% is fine) or iodine tincture.

I usually buy antibiotics as and if needed as I do not trust old meds despite package and promotion claims they last for years...

Prazi, salt and I like Biobandage. A topical. Another topical- HP is good to have to (the people kind 3% is fine) or iodine tincture.

I usually buy antibiotics as and if needed as I do not trust old meds despite package and promotion claims they last for years...

oh yea, HP! how about PP too? :D

thanks for your opinion on the meds, b/c I had just sent you a message about that. :P

Melafix

Pimafix

Prazi-pro

Aquarium Salt

Shawna, where did you get the prazi pro, I tried to get some today at Ricks, he didnt have any so I had to get ParaGuard....also have you found a place to get Pro Gold, I checked out Sempi and they only deliver to the closet air port....which for us is in Ottawa.

I'm in Canada too and ordered my prazipro from www.bigals.ca

My LFS has some meds but I need to pick up a few of these that they dont have. I will be picking up Prazi and will also pick up that Biobandage (the mini .08oz is really good priced). I will probably pick up some medicated food as my LFS has none of that.

I am actually fishing for an order at Big Al's now, lol

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

For first aid or emergency cases, I like to keep the following:

Salt

Prazi

Fenbendazole/flubendazole (in the absence of prazi)

Metronidazole (for internal infections)

Iodine solution (absence of hydrogen peroxide)

You do need to prepare a list of your sources for meds. Doesn't mean you have to keep these in hand. I always keep a list in hand and have already traced most of the much needed meds. Here are a few I keep in my list along with sources and contacts. Some meds are too advanced but I personally find them useful to be listed in case they are most needed.

Kanamycin

Erythromycin or Maracyn

Minocycline or Maracyn 2

Tetracycline

Baytril

Epsom salt

Levamisole hydrochloride

Sorry, I never personally like Melafix and Pimafix. My stores carry them but I don't personally like to use those stuff. Waste of time and money in my opinion. Clean water and salt never hurt in my experience and that's just for prevention of secondary infections and healing of wounds alone.

Shawna, where did you get the prazi pro, I tried to get some today at Ricks, he didnt have any so I had to get ParaGuard

mops.ca

Hubby does a lot of ordering from there for his marine tank. They are a fantastic little company to work with. I had to call there once for an exchange that could have been sticky, but it was no problem and the owner and I talked about our local Military Base that he was posted to many years ago for about 10 minutes. :P

....also have you found a place to get Pro Gold, I checked out Sempi and they only deliver to the closet air port....which for us is in Ottawa.

ProGold, as far as I am aware, is only availible through the GoldfishConnection (http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/listing.php?parentId=14). A really great food that I have been feeding for years that Rick's carries is Ocean Nutrition: Formula One, (I also have Formula Two flakes which are full of greens, but my golds aren't as crazy about it ...). Awesome ingredients!!

Or if you get to Ottawa to Big Als (or Rick could probably order it in) Hikari Sinking pellets are another amazing food. I use Hikari Lionhead, but you can get Hikari Oranda if you prefer. They are very specific to the dietary needs for growing of full, nice wens.

Sorry for the double post, but I just realized that I was talking to a bunch of Canadians. Mops.ca all the way! Compare their prices, especially on their meds. They are cheaper than most of the online ordering sites I have found based in Canada!! :bounce

Example: For 4 oz, Big Als is charging 19.99 for the Prazi, and Mops.ca is charging $12.10. That isn't small change when it starts to add up!!! :exactly

Edited by ~SHAWNA~

Sorry for the double post, but I just realized that I was talking to a bunch of Canadians. Mops.ca all the way! Compare their prices, especially on their meds. They are cheaper than most of the online ordering sites I have found based in Canada!! :bounce

Example: For 4 oz, Big Als is charging 19.99 for the Prazi, and Mops.ca is charging $12.10. That isn't small change when it starts to add up!!! :exactly

4 oz Prazipro $11.99

16 oz for $39.99

petsandponds.com-Orillia (Ontario)

They also carry most of what is listed above.

I have to agree that mops.ca is usually much cheaper, that's where I've done the majority of ordering over the years. I use bigals to get things that mops doesn't carry. I just discovered petsnadponds but haven't ordered from them yet.

Also, if any of my fellow Canadians are ever looking for buff it up, Fish Sempai carries it.