Plants Plants Plants

So I'm going to make my 29 gallon a planted tank, and I need suggestions for a substrate and plants. Now as far as plants go, I'd like something to carpet the bottom (that is if my gf don't eat it) so I was thinking java moss? I'm not sure if I should use standard gravel or if there is a better substrate for plants that would be better for them. I'm open to anything and everything since I'll be buying the right lights for growing em and I'm going to try for a pretty heavily planted tank. I'm also going to go for a natural feel so at the moment I'm trying to avoid large pots or vases. Pictures, names, ideas, advice?

I have had zero luck at keeping plants with goldfish. The ones they don't eat they uproot.

If you are going for high lights you well need to supplement the plants. Co2 injection or at least some excel. You may also need other ferts as well but since I only have a low tech tank not sure how to help you there.

There are some good substrates for growing plants. One I hear a lot about is fluorite. It is a very small clay chips. Won't get stuck in your goldfish mouth but they can have sharp edges.

Once again can't be much help as I am using potting soil and gravel. This well not work in a goldfish tank if you don't use pots.

Here is a link to my favorite plant site. Lots of good reading to help you get started.

http://www.aquaticpl...umapc/index.php

Hope you find something that works for you.

Good luck.

Not to be a Debbie Downer here but I personally do not think CO2 injection is something you'd want in a goldfish tank. Goldfish are by nature heavy oxygen consumers. To simply aerate the water for their sake still defeats the purpose of having to inject CO2 which is easily lifted off from a gas exchange resulting from surface movements.

However, it is correct that pots need to be used otherwise you risk getting all the soil and gravel stirred around and creating plenty of mess. You can seal the bases of the plants with large pebbles to minimize uprooting incidents. Dataguru tried a Walstad theme with her own fancy goldies. I do not think though it worked well long-term as the goldfish kept stirring the soil around. Some plants do not like their roots constantly stirred or disturbed.

To be able to pull off a heavily planted tank, use pots with soil and gravel sealed with large pebbles to deter the fish from smashing into the roots. I have a black oranda that was able to smash my vallisneria to pulp as the pot was open with no pebbles sealed. Cryptocoryne, Java moss, Java ferns and anubias may work. You just need to add them heavily so your goldfish won't have much choice in ripping everything.

As your goldies are pearlies, I personally think the risk of plants uprooted is rather minimal. Go for it. I prefer low tech planted setups for goldies. No CO2 dosing and those fancy gadgets.

A carpet of plants on the bottom will make it very difficult to vacuum the floor of the tank properly .

My tank has a fair few plants but they are all fixed to either bogwood or large stones so they can be moved easily for every week cleaning and totally removed for major tank cleaning and the fish can't move them or uproot them.

My plants are nearly all low light as I use LED lighting and just add a little plant food every week to help the crypts that could do with a bit more light but do ok.

I agree that CO2 would probably be wasted as it would get drawn so fast and could cause problems for the goldies due to the CO2 concentration in the water at night

My tank

IMG_6940.jpg

Edited by hpsauce

I have javamoss on the back wall with no problems. I also have blue stricia and jungle val and some other assorted plants in the corners with some big quartz rocks around the bases to stop the fish uprooting them. Works a treat, looks nice, they grow like weeds. I have no co2 and very little light at all going into the tank. They get a splash of fertiliser once a week, and the nutrients from the fish waste, but that's it. The substrate is nothing fancy with me, I just have sand, it's not the best for plants, but they don't seem to mind. Eco complete seems to be a good one for plants though.

If you chose low light, undemanding plants, you won't need co2. It helps to get plants that don't mind being uprooted or if they do to plant them in pots/attach them to removable rocks (in the case of things like java fern). This way you can remove them each week and thoroughly clean the tank, and if the fish manage to uproot them, it's not the end of the world. For the same reason, like Hp I wouldn't recommend a carpet plant. Just a nuisance to keep clean, and with goldfishes 'digging' and foraging behaviour on the tank floor, chances are they don't last long sadly.

If you get low maintenance plants, you can get away with low light and no co2. Alittle research goes a long way. Try to get 'goldie proof' plants that they won't eat and they will be suitable for your setup. Be sure to design the tank so they are easy to remove for cleaning, and chose a 'goldie safe' substrate, something they can't get stuck in their mouths and choke on.

I love your tank hpsauce!! Are those moss balls I spy? :yeah: