Penguin Tetras

blackteles

Just picked up three Penguin Tetras to add to my 20 gallon tropical tank this afternoon. They seem to be doing well with my Zebra Danios, Glolight Tetras, and Neon Tetras. I'll keep an eye on them and see how they do, they are a rather unique looking Tetra. I noticed that in the tank at my LFS they school together in a group and it sure was very cool to watch!

-Dennis

I've kept 10 of these before with my discus and angelfish. They lasted almost 3 years before I lost a few to mycobacteriosis and some to CO2 leak accident.:( Wonderful but quite nippy on anything with similar body marks. They harassed some of my golden pencilfish.

Definitely! I remember having these penguins with several other tetras particularly cardinals, neons and rummies.

Out of interest, how are your current neons faring, lclayton? The last batch my shop ordered all died. A friend was going to buy all neons when I warned him to give a few a try first and get some cardinals. I was shocked when he phoned me to say all neons died but the cardinals remained alive. Surprisingly, the store reported the same thing to me. I've observed previous batches of neons dying before so a warning beforehand saved him his money.

Definitely! I remember having these penguins with several other tetras particularly cardinals, neons and rummies.

Out of interest, how are your current neons faring, lclayton? The last batch my shop ordered all died. A friend was going to buy all neons when I warned him to give a few a try first and get some cardinals. I was shocked when he phoned me to say all neons died but the cardinals remained alive. Surprisingly, the store reported the same thing to me. I've observed previous batches of neons dying before so a warning beforehand saved him his money.

I've had my neons over a year now with no problems at all. Of the 8 I bought originally, 1 died overnight but hadn't looked great when I bought them, and another died choking on a v large dried bloodworm (seriously!) about a month later, but of all the fish I've ever owned my neons have been the strongest and most resilient, they never get ill, they never seem affected by less than perfect water, and they're about 3 times the size of when I bought them, nice deep bellies. They are my favourites and I hope they last for years yet. Maybe UK strains are stronger and more resilient? I do read a lot on here and other forums about all sorts of problems with neons and other tetras, problems I've just never had.

(And conversely, guppies, one of the 'easy starter fish', have always been an absolute nightmare for me and get dropsy and/or die for no reason at all. I'll never bother with them again.)