Regarding White Spots

ParadiseLost

I believe the pH to be about 8 but I can check it after the water change tonight if you like?

None of the others are showing these signs is all so I was thinking there might be another issue but that could be the problem. xxx

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised frayed fins are set there assuming bacteria itself is somehow the cause of it. Ich has always been an entry point for bacterial infections and it is recently concluded that Flavobacterium columnare, a gram negative bacteria can attach on the ich trophonts anytime. These parasites are far dangerous when they carry bacteria with them that makes them quite infective. The salt in the meantime should prevent any secondary infections from getting worse.

Compare the pH tests before and after a water change. This will rule out pH crash assuming the pH remains consistent at all.

Hello,

Klaus has started to clamp his fins this evening and the tips of his fins are tinted white. Meaning?

I am up to the full .3% now and will be doing a water change later. The ammonia is under .25 but not by a lot I think. Also the pH is 7.6

xxx

What other signs have you seen? No listlessness and gasping?

Has he been treated with prazi before?

How are the frayed edges so far? Are they going worse at all?

What are the water parameters currently?

Well I don't think we can get Prazi here :S So no never treated...

They are mostly frayed but not like VERY frayed just a few bits here and there...

Ammonia is just under .25 atm (going to change soon)

Everything else is 0

pH is 7.6

xxx

Oops! I should have read you're in UK. Yeah, prazi is hard there. Do you have Kusuri Wormer Plus or Fluke-M? Both are flubendazole-based and your best bet. Aside from killing cestodes (flatworms) and trematodes (flukes), they can also destroy other parasites such as nematodes. This is a broad anthelmintic.

I am a bit worried that the ich is not dying - but may be taking over. Remember - the ich that you do NOT see are the really dangerous ones!

What salt level do you have the tank at? IS it a full 0.3ppm?

Yes I am at .3 now

But you said it could take a while especially keep in mind my tank is not at a higher temperature but a normal one, prolonging the time it takes!

I have only been treating them for 3 and half days so far xxx

They are all looking pretty low and unhappy atm... Klaus especially is just hovering under the filter hardly moving around...

He has some patches of what look like white film over parts of his body now :S

The other two look OK to me and they are a bit sluggish like Klaus right now.

I ordered that stuff you recommended Lupin and then realised I'd ordered to my home address not my Uni one >.< ######! But I have emailed them telling them that so I hope to get it sorted asap...

xxx

They seem happier since they had peas last night lol. Klaus has a few spots on his tail and another on one of his side fins, and that sort of filmy white colouring over him. Other two seem normal still. His fins are sill like a rag but I think they are improving maybe. Just need to wait it out. Don't want to lose him though, he's my baby, I'm proud of him how he's grown so much.

xxx

Hello all,

Just to let you know about the main tank... Klaus: no particular improvement of major amounts but as you said this is a long process. No more white spots found, in fact perhaps a few lost... still has a frayed dorsal fin however his side fins are looking better. Is feeding fine and even doing a little chasing of Pumpkin. Shiny and Pumpkin are fine as far as I can tell.

I prazied them on Thursday so this is day 4. I need to do something on day 7 I can't remember what the packet says.

Klaus still has that whiteish filming over him but it is probably a natural thing I think...

Need to warm the water up now!

xxx

Make sure you are vacuuming the bottom of the tank (can't remember if you took the gravel out or no) very well. As often as possible.

Glad to hear there is improvement! :)

Yeah I took all the gravel out, it's just them and the filter in there. I've also bee cleaning out any debris with my net in anything isn't sucked up by the filter.

Like I said nothing major has happened really, I think it's just a matter of waiting it out now... can I start to take down the salt levels now?