Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

I Lost A Fish Today =0(

It was my second favorite fish Lucky that big comet that I rescued.

Last night (late) hubby heard a splash, and went and looked in the fish room, he saw the cat sitting there in front of a tub, and a puddle of water, and thought the cat was splashing in the water....so he chased the cat away, and then came to bed. It was probably 5 am or so, so I was asleep and very tired. He told me that the cat had been splashing in the fish water, and I asked him if all my fish were there, and he just said yes, and I went back to sleep. :(

This morning Lucky was not in the tank. Only Ping and Chubby were there. I just kept looking in the tank for him, there are only two plants and a rock in there, no where for a 7" + fish to be hiding. I started looking on the floor, then back in the tank. UGH panic stricken. I found him under the bench I sit on to watch them and feed them. He was still tacky, so I put him back in the water, and swished him around. It didn't help. I left him in there for a good hour, hoping that he would come back to life.

He didn't. :cry1

Ugh, poor Lucky, the thought of him laying on the floor all scared and smothering kills me. I was crying all day.

I saw Lucky right before I went to bed at 1 am. He was sleeping, but I fed Ping some pellets and said "good night fish, Goodnight Lucky" and turned out the lights.

I obviously forgot to put the netting over the tank.

I blamed the cat until I calmed down. There is no way in heck that cat put his feet into that water. He hates water, and does not care one bit for fish.

I think he may have stood up and looked in the tank though, and it probably jostled the water and woke Lucky with a start, and he bailed. That is all I can think of. That is probably the splash Hubby heard. He said they were all there, but this morning he told me he didn't really look. He felt bad, so I didn't give him trouble.

I went to the pet store today, hubby always takes me when a fish dies, because it cheers me up for a few minutes at least.

Today they had this huge fish, the girl working did not know what it was. But from looking online I think it's what they call a black shark. It had to be at LEAST a foot long, and it was rammed into a small tank, about 15 gals or so, and it had an owie nose from bumping it on the tank wall. Poor sharkie.

Jessica

ow man jess im so sorry to hear that :(:cry1

I'm so sorry to hear about your fish....I'm sure he had a good life, albeit a short one. My condolences and a big hug.....don't blame yourself (or your cat, or your hubby)...unfortunately, death is a natural part of life...as much as we would like to hope not. :(

sorry about your fish jess * hugz *

I am so sorry to hear about your fish. That is really sad. your hubby sounds nice.

:hug:hug:hug

oh jessica iam so sorry i can just imagen waht your going

threw :cry1:cry1

but i know he could not have asked for a better life than with you. :)

god bless hun. and bless lucky.

ooooooo im sorry :( your tank doesnt have a lid? is it outside or in your room? I lost a few tropical fish that way before, didnt have lid. also I saw my large goldfish flopping on the floor years back when my lid was open to change the water

Aww Jess, I'm so sorry. :( I know in situations like this it's hard to get past the "if only"s, but it wasn't your fault, or your husbands or the cats, it was just a really, REALLY unfortunate set of circumstances. :(

Thanks everyone, your kind words help.

It makes me feel better to share this with all of you, because you understand. Every one else I know would be like "it's a fish, so what?!". Hubby understands sort of...

Lovely goldfish, I read about the koi jumping on the pond forum, and I bought netting to go snuggly over the tub. It is in the basement, not in my room, I wish it were in my room ;o). I fed the fish again before bed, and since I just started putting the netting over the tub a week or so ago, I am not quite used to it, and I totally forgot :(

I am sorry that you lost fish that way too.

Jessica

Yes, when I calmed down, I didn't blame the cat anymore, and I never really blamed hubby, because he just doesn't know. He tries to understand fish.....

It is my fault for leaving the netting off. But is was an accident, and I'll bet that I will never forget to leave a lid off of a tank again :(

Jessica

Guest sourmilknightmares

Oh Jess that's so sad! :cry1 You tried you hardest for him and Lucky was living the good life while he was with you!

:cry1 Oh I'm so sorry. I hate it when I lose a fish...it's so panicky searching for them in the tank, hoping against all hope that they're just hiding or something...and then you find them on the floor :(

I lost my beloved platy in a similar fashion...she was named Bonkers, and I named myself after her...I was so sad when I found her :cry1

I'm really sorry Jess. :( It's something that could happen to anyone though, so please don't feel bad.

Thank you everyone. Your words have helped very much. ((((hugs))))) to you all.

Bonkers I am sorry about your beloved fish Bonkers, that is really sad. =o(

Jessica

Aw, Jessica, I am so sorry to hear about Lucky. Unfortunately, these kinds of things happen, and really no one is to blame. I guess it just isn't a perfect world :(

Im so sorry to hear about this. Its somehow always our favorites, isnt it? I actually have lost some of mine to cats before, and one of them was my favorite. I did catch her while she was still alive and then put her back in the water. I held her in the water for a couple hours, trying to get her to swim, but she eventually died. It was heartbreaking. Maybe it was better than Lucky had already passed by the time you found him.

I know its kind of hard to think of right now, but I know you will find another fish someday that you love just as much as him. Im sure you'll be at the LFS and see a really special fish and be able to know that you've rescued him from becoming another abused goldfish. :)

Jessica I am so sorry about your fish :cry1 Don't be sad because he suffered. The mind starts to feel euphoria when the body begins to drift away, so don't don't be sad because he was scared and suffering at death because he probably wasn't. Ppl who have tehnically "died" for a few minutes report this feeling, there are physical reasons for it. I think goldfish and all animals probably have the same mental response to the body shutting down, they have the same chemicals we do. Anyway, I hope you feel better. :hug

That's so sad :cry1 I very sorry for your loss.

Don't blame yourself.

Things happen sometimes.

Take care

Thanks again everyone.

Jsrtist, I am very sorry that you had to lose your favorite fish that way :cry1 It is heartbreaking for sure.

(((Hugs)))) and thank you all for your kind words, you have all helped me to feel better.

Jessica