Possible Dropsy :s

poppycarrie

I will sign up to get some of them but I worry that she said she is not placing the order for a couple of weeks, and it may be too late.

Thanks for the info on baytril too, but it seems she obtained it from a vet. I might contact my vet and see if they would give me some medication even though they do not treat fish. But I doubt it.

I found a site where I can get Jungle anti-bacterial food. Is this any good?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I found a site that ships internationally and I have ordered some now...estimated arrival is 5-10 days though, since it is from america, so I hope that won't be too late. And fingers crossed customs won't bother looking at it too closely!

I guess I will just do water changes until then, and hope for the best. Unless I manage to find some meds in this country that will get here before that.

after doing more searching on Koko's about the metro for pigeons I think you should give it a go. I did post a link to that specific thread a while back. instead of buying it off ebay and waiting for shipping, see if you can get it in a local shop. when my fish dropsied (twice) I used jungle anti bac food as well as added metro to the tank water. I barely remember the dosing of the metro in the water, so for that a Mod needs to jump in and advise. I'm sorry if my ignorance on the pigeon metro had stopped you from ordering it before. If your fish is still eating THIS IS A GREAT SIGN. Never give up on a fish who hasn't given up!! which you aren't, I just needed to say it for anyone else reading this thread.

after doing more searching on Koko's about the metro for pigeons I think you should give it a go. I did post a link to that specific thread a while back. instead of buying it off ebay and waiting for shipping, see if you can get it in a local shop. when my fish dropsied (twice) I used jungle anti bac food as well as added metro to the tank water. I barely remember the dosing of the metro in the water, so for that a Mod needs to jump in and advise. I'm sorry if my ignorance on the pigeon metro had stopped you from ordering it before. If your fish is still eating THIS IS A GREAT SIGN. Never give up on a fish who hasn't given up!! which you aren't, I just needed to say it for anyone else reading this thread.

Thanks for your support and providing a bit of hope :) He looks so awful, but he is still eating and acting normal!

The problem is that all antibiotics are prescription-only in the UK. Which I need from a doctor/vet. So I can't get anything which is usually used for american fish from a shop etc. The flagyl is included in this - the stuff off ebay was off Spain, so I think technically it was imported illegally. This is my problem when trying to treat my fish. It makes it a lot harder to do anything effective and it is REALLY frustrating ><

There is one listing for flagyl on ebay at the moment, the auction ends in 6-7 days. I may attempt to get that in a few days time. In the mean-time I have ordered some Jungle off an american website that ships internationally, but it may take 5-10 days to arrive.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do in the meantime to keep him going?

The bubbles/blisters on him are worrying me a lot. Theres about 5 of them. Would salt baths/another treatment with the stuff I have help perhaps?

The interpet stuff I have wasn't very effective as far as I can tell, but it's all I have at the moment. It's ingredients are listed in a post I did on the first page. I'm thinking it might at least slow down the infection until the jungle gets here?

Yes, I left a little note on your profile :) But yes thanks, I got the meds last saturday and they have worked wonders!! :D I have been feeding for 8 days so 2 more days before I finish.

Luma (who was floating uncontrollably and had little white boils coming up on him) now is acting normal and looks absolutely fine, he's swimming how he used to and doing great. And Dexter (who was dropsied with blisters under some scales) has shrunk down so much. His scales are now almost lying flat and theres no more blisters. And he's eating the metro like a little piggy as always :P

I know that the dropsy could come back, and that it may be the epsom that has shrunk him down, but I am hopeful cause he looks so well. So fingers crossed he will be ok even after the metro course finishes.

Just a question, do you think I should carry on with epsom in the tank if he is looking better? I did a 50% WC today but haven't redosed.

Thanks again for sending the meds, I think it saved my fishies lives! :thanks

Glad to hear they are doing so much better

You might be best to test and see how soft your water is, as if it is very soft you might be best adding something to increase it as goldfish have to work much harder to osmoregulate themselves in soft water which might increase the chance of your fish getting sick again.