Green Water

I think i have green water. My parameters s are perfect. 0,0 and 10. But my water is getting cloudier every day. I even took off 2 of my smaller filters yesterday. And totally rinsed them out in a bucket of treated water. Still cloudy. I just can't tell if it is green or cloudy. I will try to post pics. What causes green ? If i looked at it in a white cup would it look green? I know stupid question. But i am trying to decide if it is green or gunky.All info on green water would help me.

there are a few good threads about green water from Imo and Annette. Green water is definately green when you are looking at it. if it's just cloudy it could be a bio bug bloom, but you say your stats are fine so I doubt it's that.

let me go look for those threads and post back, in the mean time maybe Imo or Annette will stop by. ;)

Okay i have decided it was a stupid question IF i have green water. Because i do. And it doesn't look nice at all. It gets worse everyday and i just changes the water friday i think. I know they benefit from it so should i leave it a while? But i want to know what caused it. Is it because i started leaving the algae alone on the back of the tank to grow? My new light i got for Christmas?

DSC02533.JPG

DSC02527.JPG

DSC02541.JPG

lovely photos btw, but I was unable to locate Imo's thread. maybe it was just a post I read one time, idk? lol anyway, here is Annette's thread. make sure to have lots and lots and lots of extra oxygen in there. you may have to buy another bubbler because the green water eats it up and doesn't leave much for the babies.

Thank you. Can you believe i was wondering if that looked green? We are so used to looking at it that it made it hard to judge the color. But the photos show it very well. I will pick up an extra pump tomorrow.

Excessive lighting along with too much nutrients can cause it. I have this in my ponds but not my tanks and never will get one in my tanks. Despite its benefits in the tank, I find it unpleasant to look at and fortunately, I haven't had green water occur in my tanks at all.

You may need to keep your tank well aerated especially at night due to respiration period wherein fish will compete with algae for oxygen.

To prevent green floating algae, you might try reducing light level and do water changes to remove the green water. Dead algae can cause serious oxygen depletion so be careful when dealing with this issue. Lots of people suggest using UV sterilizer. I personally don't recommend it but the choice is yours. Anything that passes the system gets killed otherwise it doesn't.

Thank you. I'm not loving it myself. I like the crystal clear look. I only have 108 watt on it now and it is on about 12 hours. Maybe i am over feeding. I think tomorrow i may scrub it all down and do a 90 percent water change.

Personally I love it. It is the best thing for swimbladder issues for fancy fish, a constant supply of suspended algae/spirulina. That color you have there is awesome. Its just about ready. Another week a nd you would see ZERO nitrates. This is a TREMENDOUS health advantage for fish. I've seen fish kept in zero nitrates double their size in months. The GW has to be flourescent green like your 3rd pic NOT NOT NOT cloudy dull green (thats just bad maintenanceor GW turning point ime). This kind of GW (2nd/3rd pic) indicates a perfectly balanced water chemistry - in the fishes favor.

If you want it out you may have to relocate your tank to get less light and/or reduce lighting. You will also need to consider the shock factor. Fish going from this GW to no GW may bottom sit for some days and will need extra attention to pH and water params. The water chemistry changes a lot. Especially watch out for sudden drops in dissolved oxygen.

The fish growth factor has grabbed my attention. If i decide to try this for a while how would i decide how much and how often for water changes?

IF you were using the green water to cleanse the water completely - and not using a biological cycle, you would need to change out 90% of it every 3-5 days. Since you have a cycle going, you should not need to change in this fashion.

Others have noted the main pitfall with green water - lack of oxygen. The color of the green will give you a great deal of information as to how healthy the water is, how healthy the fish are, etc.

As far as water changes - if you wish to keep the green, just keep changing the same way you always have. With each change, your water should appear to be very slightly green (picture 1?)- and at the end of the change cycle (once a week?) your water should only be slightly "thicker" than the last picture. If the green gets so thick you cannot see a fish at 2-3 inches into the water, change it.

The algae that grows on the back wall of the tank is NOT the same thing as the free floating green algae that turns the water green. They are both very healthy for the fish - there is nothing like green to grow a fish. YOu do, still have to keep an eye on the fish - best time for body check is at the weekly water change.

If you do not want the green water, you need to do several things - the main one being lessen the lighting. Green algae will grow when it has sufficiant light. Too little light - and it will not grow. Turn the lights off sooner - on later.

UV works WONDERFULLY. I am a HUGE fan of UVs - but they can be quite pricey. They require a replacement bulb at least every 1.5 years - commonly every year - and the bulb costs almost as much as the unit did at first! But a UV will keep you from ever getting green water again - if you wish.

Other things that clarify the water are, believe it or not - Prazi and a few other medications. They have a type of floculator effect on the algae - clumping it together into larger clumps so that your filter can collect it.

I would NOT reccomend that you use any algae killing water treatments. They are herbacides - and you are adding enough poison to the water to kill the algae, yet not enough to kill the fish (hopefully - weak fish may be greatly affected!) Either way, the fish are impacted badly - and, even though they may not die, they are definately injured.

Changing out 90% or 100% of the water will not hurt your cycle (it is in the filter, remember?) - and will remove the green algae. If you choose to remove it, remember that what caused it - the LIGHT - will have to be changed or you will have a bloom again in a bit.

That looks, at this time, to be a VERY healthy green. NICE. I like green water. :)

Thank you for all the info. I guess i am going to try and leave it for a while for the fishes benefit. And just do my regular weekly water changes to dilute it a bit. And buy a larger bottle of Prazi. I think i am going to need it. Lol.

Other things that clarify the water are, believe it or not - Prazi and a few other medications.

Interesting!! I had no idea! Always something new to learn here by reading other peoples posts I love it!!! :-)

I am curious to see how you will like the green water....and if you decide to keep it that way.. I was turned off by it at first because of the color, but the benefits seem like it might make it worth getting used to! I keep thinking how great it would be if I could GET green water in my tank with my ultra floaty Kharma. Interesting!

Other things that clarify the water are, believe it or not - Prazi and a few other medications.

Interesting!! I had no idea! Always something new to learn here by reading other peoples posts I love it!!! :-)

:exactly

but I wonder if it would work on the annoying algae I have in my turtle tank?? :hmm

I am missing my green water. I got it in the pond this summer and had kept it indoors until this winter break. I decided I missed looking at my fish.....Now I miss my green water! It's coming back.....slowly but surely......

I can't wait to get it back!

Everyday is a struggle. I am going to try to get used to it for the growth benfit. Lol. I like a clear tank too. But i am having a hard time seeing my fish. So i just don't know how long its going to last.

Well as much of a pain as this green water is. The benefits are undeniable. It honestly seems that Luna is getting larger before our eyes. I am not going to show pics yet because the before and after pics i believe are going to be amazing. And yes the water has turned bright green. And I am having to change some out every 4 days just to be able to see the fish. Just letting you know i am still suffering through for the benefit. Of my babies.Lol.

That's great!!!! Now I want green water in Kharmas tank more than ever! Now.. I have to read up old posts where people talked about TRYING to get green water... Lots of lighting in my future I think! LOLOL

I can send you some in the mail, Sue! :rofl

Shipping might be a little expensive.... :lol

But lord knows I have so much to spare....I mean, I dump 30 gallons of it down the drain every week :lol:)

I have a floaty fish in another tank. Should i try adding some of the green water to his tank and see if it takes over there too? I have plenty lol.

DSC02695.JPG

I am adding some other green pics to my blog section if you are interested.

I don't think thats going to work. There is quite a difference between a little greenish and luminous hard earned green. It's funny I remember asking the exact same Q to the experts here years ago. There were several people who have moved on now who were heavily into green water benefits and knew a lot about it. I dont know all the chemical equations and wotnot but I do know that to be beneficial it has to be the luminous green all the way down - that you have and you just cannot get that if you add a little, and other conditions are not right.

Some people set up QTs which are green water, takes a month or so in strong light to get them achieved. Then they keep them alive and use them for a kind of hospital for floaty fish for a few weeks. That works. I know Daryl for one did that for a while.

Some people set up QTs which are green water, takes a month or so in strong light to get them achieved. Then they keep them alive and use them for a kind of hospital for floaty fish for a few weeks. That works. I know Daryl for one did that for a while.

That's actually a REAAAALLY good idea.... I'd like to try it..

So... the main trick in getting green water is just TONS of lighting? That's it?

Yep. Lots of lighting.

I have a light fixture with two 6700K T5 21W bulbs (Coralife brand). It turns my tank from clear water (only about 5% green after water changes) to 40g of SPRING GREEN in about 5 days.