I Want A Canister Filter!

I've been wanting a canister filter for a while now...they just seem awesome and i like the fact that you can pack them with media etc. I have my two emporer 400 bio wheels and i love them and would like to keep them on the 75 gallon so i was thinking i would add a canister filter since you can never have too much filtration with goldies. Do you guys think this would be too much? I have ordered my last fish which means i will have 8 in the 75...i figured i could be half a fish understocked or half a fish overstocked so i decided half a fish overstocked since the tank is filtered for 80 gallons with 800 gph. maybe one day i will retire the emporers but i'm not ready to do that yet. Also how do the canister filters work? What does in the tank and does it look nicer than the hob filters? Any input is appreciated:)

My canister filter works via pressure I think, you put the inlet and outlet in the tank and pump on the button on the canister until it starts pushing water out the outlet then turn it on. When doing water changes I just make sure the inlet remains submerged and unplug it and it starts itself without the whole buttoning thing when I plug it in again. Mine's soooo silent, I'd love another one to replace my internal but tis most expensive...first I must get a silent air pump :)

I think once you've had a canister, you don't go back. The canister goes in your stand so you don't see it and it's not in the way at all. Tis most good :)

I just installed my new Rena canister filter last week and I LOVE it! During yesterday's water change I put in an entire box of ceramic cylinders and there's still a bit more room for extra media.

Mine has a regular intake tube and I use the spray bar for the outlet, which is awesome because it agitates the surface. I just have to fill the intake hose then push down on the primer switch, once the filter fills, I plug it in. I've had no issues at all so far.

I have a rena xp3. Got it about 2 years ago. Still love it and it works like a champ. My husband is always asking me if it stopped working cause you can't hear it.

I agree with everyone else -- canisters rock! I have two Rena XP1s on my living room tank and an XP2 in the bedroom. They're super-quiet and VERY efficient. Plus, without the HOB filters on the back, I can scoot the tanks really close to the wall (which maximizes room in my tiny house).

All you'll have showing in your tank with a canister filter is an intake tube -- the water return is usually placed fairly high up so it's not especially prominent. Some folks use the spray bar (like Chrissy_Bee), but I always use the jets. I have a couple of small fish in each tank and I try to cut the current down a little and rely on airstones/bubble wands for most of the surface agitation.

My canisters keep my water crystal-clear and are very easy to clean. And I only need to clean them every 4 weeks or so, which is awesome. The whole process takes about 7 minutes.

I agree with Sarah -- once you go canister, you'll never go back!

Well I still prefer my HOB. But yes they are nice. Little heavy to pick up when you need to clean so have to make hubby do it and a lot of times he gives me that look. lol If I get anouther it would be a couple of the xp2 or maybe the xp1 so I can lift with with no problems.

• Admin

One thing I can say about canisters , well a few things lol

Ok you want one where you get the shut off valve this will make it easier to clean. this means that you lift a leaver and ill will stop the suction flow into the canister. :)

Two make sure you get a canister where the hoses are smooth, one reason I HATE fluval filters, they have hoses like a vacuum cleaner and gunk gets stuck in there hun... not fun.

Also its very nice to have one where there is a primer button, makes starting it back up much easier :)

Or get one with auto start. Mine does not have a button thank goodness the one I had with one I hated it. It took me 15 minutes or more to get it going.

I've got canister filters running on all my goldie tanks - a total of 4 canister filters. I've only ever had Eheim canisters and I love them to pieces! Easy to use, hold tons of media, and are easy to maintain as well. A bit on the expensive side, but if I could afford it, all my goldfish tanks would run only on canisers. :)

Also, I don't believe there's any such thing as over filtering a goldfish tank... granted all my tanks are large, and I wouldn't put my canisters on a 10 gal tank or anything. But I've got 3 aquaclear HOBs and 2 Eheim canisters on my 125 gal tank totaling well over 2000gph water turnover, and I don't think it's enough!

I would definitely recommend getting one. I'd recommend scoping out a LFS (not the chain stores), but good ol' LFS. They usually have some running as filtration on their tanks... ask if you can take a look at one that's running and usually they'll be kind enough to show you and tell you how well they work, etc.

I LOVE my cannister filter!

I have a Tetratec one, not sure if you get them in the States?

It's silent, the pipes are really easy to clean and it's self priming!

It works like a dream and it keeps my water crystal clear, I wouldn't be without it now! :)

I have 2 Emperor 400s and an Eheim 2026 on my 90 gallon. Definitely not too much!

Personally I prefer the Emperors as far as maintanence--just easier to deal with than the canister. But the canister holds soo much more media and is virtually silent.

Go for it!

Eheim pro 3 2080 if you can save up the pennies, nothing else comes close smile.gif

If you want to get one check it will fit in your cupboard, I nearly got it before realising it was massive and it wouldn't actually fit doh11.gif so I had to go for the next size down and I have an eheim 2078e and eheim 2224 on my main tank one on each end of the tank