Mantle Collapse?

poppycarrie

Hi,

I have an apple snail that I have had for about a year. A couple of weeks ago he changed behaviour (about the same time I moved a goldfish into that tank temporarily as it was having swimming problems. The goldfish sometimes sat on the back of the snails shell when he was in the corner but didn't peck at the snail's body. Still, this is when the problems began).

Typical activity for him was to crawl all around the tank (gravel and sides), fairly active, eat lots and then shut himself in his shell for the day.

But recently (past 2-3 weeks) he is barely eating or moving around the tank. He has eaten a little these past couple of days but not much. He is also not fully retracting into his shell - he sits kinda half-out all the time but not moving. His body looks shrivelled - when he sits it is curled in at the edges of the foot.

He has also started floating quite often - I read that this is normal for apple snails but my snail never did this before so it is a change in behaviour.

I'm worried because of the decrease in movement and eating, and his altered appearance. I also noticed that when he was out of his shell yesterday trying to eat something, when I looked into the shell it looked kinda empty. Like I could see quite far into the shell alongside the body...it's hard to explain, but got me thinking that this could be mantle collapse? I read about this but can't find a clear enough picture to decide if it is. I have looked on apple snail.net as a guide. If anyone who has experienced mantle collapse could give their opinion it would be appreciated :) Or if anyone has any other suggestions on what could be wrong!

Looks like it.

What's the history of this goldfish you moved? Any flukes? Snails can get sick from flukes too assuming the goldfish was never treated with prazi before. Fortunately, prazi is very safe for apple snails although it can kill anything else outside the apple snail family it seems.

Hi thanks for your reply.

The goldfish I moved was treated for flukes about 6 months ago. The goldfish *could* have nibbled at him but i doubt it - the fish is small and could hardly keep himself the right way up (he keeps tipping tail up-head down) and has very poor swimming control. So I doubt he would have been able to harass the snail too much. He is back in the other tank now. However I have some white cloud mountian minnows in the tank who occasionally peck the snails tentacles (edit: they've been in the tank together for at least 9 months though now, so it would be a bit odd for them to suddenly affect him).

My snail has moved since yesterday though, halfway across the tank, but hasn't touched the lettuce I put in. Any recommendations on what I should do? Just see how he gets on or? I feel totally helpless to be honest.

Edited by Poppy

Do you have a breeder box? I'd place the snail in there temporarily and feed him there. Should be good enough to allow him to feel much more rested and secured. Add plants in there as well.

I would like to totally be proven wrong, but I doubt your snail will be able to pull through. I say this with some experience as snails can become quiet fragile once they are injured and they just don't have the tenasity to pull through. There are many remedies you can try for various shell deformities and such but again in my experience it didn't matter much. not to be a complete and total debbie downer I recommend visiting this website for oodles of snaily info. infact, it should be an snail owners best friend. I also have to agree with Lupin's suggestion, if only to provide a nice calm space for him for his remaining days OR for a full recovery which would be really fantastic. sorry again for being so pessimistic, that's not normally who I am but I've just seen many snails come and go. :cry1

Thank you both for your replies. Actually today, he had been sat still for ages and looked kinda dead, so I decided to pick him up (keeping him underwater) to have a look at him. I couldn't see much cause he retracted into his shell, but after I put him down he started crawling around! :D Didn't eat anything but he is moving at least. Maybe it isn't mantle collapse after all....he has got a lot smaller in his body, I think because he's barely been eating. So maybe that is why I could see so much space inside his shell? I don't know. I hope that is the case, and he just stopped eeating cause the addition of the goldfish somehow freaked him out. He's such a cool little pet, and he was doing so well before this (growing really fast)...I've grown quite attached to him ^^

The little fish do peck at him sometimes, which can't help, so I think I will move him by himself like you suggest. But thing is that I don't have another tank set up. I can go and buy a cheap plastic small tank and put him in there temporarily but it won't have a filter, so can you guys suggest a water care scheme so it doesn't get all polluted? I have no idea how much waste snails produce and what levels of ammonia/nitrites are dangerous to them. And I would hate to hurt him furthur through bad water quality.

Do you have a breeder box, Poppy? This is the best option you can try. Add plants in there. This is safer than a new tank with no filtration for a very weak snail. Snails poop a lot but I would rather not risk an unfiltered setup for this one.

Hm no I don't have one of those. But I have found that if I leave the tank light off the fish are a lot less active and leave him alone nearly all the time. I was thinking I will also add some more plants to the tank so he can be more sheltered. He ate some lettuce yesterday though! :D So I think I will just see how it goes with him and keep an eye on whether the fish are bothering him. He seems to be improving slowly so perhaps it is not as bad as I thought. Thanks for all your help :)